*UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

FYI - my compassion to this kid comes from the fact that I've been without a sip of alcohol since 5/21/2004. The wrong kind of addiction can grip you and control you and the logical is illogical.

I agree with the last post. Don't put him in rehab. Put him in jail. Consequences make you wake up. Period.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Just curious--- wonder what the "relapse" rate is for people going to jail/prison -- and those that spend a very long time in these court ordered, live in, long term rehab programs.

Comment

Sounds like there's even more sh*t about to come out about this....
        NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) -- A judge who sentenced Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid's sons on Thursday likened the coach's home to "a drug emporium" and questioned whether his adult sons should live there.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing Britt Reid to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

"I'm saying this is a family in crisis," O'Neill said.

Earlier Thursday, O'Neill sentenced Garrett Reid, a drug addict and dealer who said he got a thrill out of selling drugs in "the 'hood," to up to 23 months in jail for smashing into another motorist's car while high on heroin.

O'Neill said searches of the Reid home found illegal and prescription drugs throughout the house. He said both boys had been overmedicated throughout much of their lives.

"It sounds more or less like a drug emporium there, and you are an addict," O'Neill told Britt Reid.

Andy Reid and his wife, Tammy, were in court but declined to comment.

"Andy and Tammy are supportive of their son. That has been their position since this all began. He will not comment on it," defense attorney Ross Weiss said before the judge's comments.

Britt said everything he did, he did without his parents' knowledge, but O'Neill questioned that.

Comment

I have been a huge Reid supporter. I believe that he has been more to the Eagles than Vermeil and approaches the great Greasy Neale. I have trusted his decisions for my Eagles even when a bit baffled by them. Now I must say, Andy must go. No I am not some anti drug purist, anyone who knows/knew me from the sixties to Amsterdam knows that. B ut I am a big exponent of fair play and 100% dedication. When Andy can bounce a guy for taking a dumb penalty as an example to his team, so should Jeff Lurie bounce Andy as an example to his team. There is no room for hypocrites in power. We have enough of that with this administration. When the judge calls the Reid home a "drug emporium" and it is clear that this has gone on since his arrival in Philly, I simply can not believe that Andy did not know. He knew it and he allowed it when he would not allow far lesser sins among his players. NoThere is no way he didn't know this kid was zonked out for years, no way. He gave it his stamp of approval and then turned around and played hypocrite with his team again and again. Goodbye Andy, it was nice to know you, but don't let the door hit you in your big, fat, hypocritical ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
            I have been a huge Reid supporter. I believe that he has been more to the Eagles than Vermeil and approaches the great Greasy Neale. I have trusted his decisions for my Eagles even when a bit baffled by them. Now I must say, Andy must go. No I am not some anti drug purist, anyone who knows/knew me from the sixties to Amsterdam knows that. B ut I am a big exponent of fair play and 100% dedication. When Andy can bounce a guy for taking a dumb penalty as an example to his team, so should Jeff Lurie bounce Andy as an example to his team. There is no room for hypocrites in power. We have enough of that with this administration. When the judge calls the Reid home a "drug emporium" and it is clear that this has gone on since his arrival in Philly, I simply can not believe that Andy did not know. He knew it and he allowed it when he would not allow far lesser sins among his players. NoThere is no way he didn't know this kid was zonked out for years, no way. He gave it his stamp of approval and then turned around and played hypocrite with his team again and again. Goodbye Andy, it was nice to know you, but don't let the door hit you in your big, fat, hypocritical ass!
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

While this whole thing is disgusting, I really think you need to separate football from "real life." IMHO you're being a bit outrageous. I don't think you can compare trying to keep your kids off drugs to cutting a mediocre football player for underperforming and a stupid penalty. Even trying to make that comparison is silly if you ask me.

Think about it. If you fired every person in the country who was better at their job than being a parent, there sure would be a lot of unemployed people out there, wouldn't there?

Comment

this drug emporium thing is really disturbing.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

O'Neill said searches of the Reid home found illegal and prescription drugs throughout the house.
                  My God. Besides Tammy, Reid has five kids, doesn't he? It makes you wonder what sort of family life they've had. A few years ago, I met someone whose brother was just always in trouble when he was a teenager, to the point where his mother simply didn't ask him if he'd come home, and couldn't let herself worry about whether or not he'd be ok. He's older than me, but a number of his friends died tragically (OD, motorcycle crash, etc.).

This needed to get fixed. I'm actually sort of glad for the Reid's that this has happened, if it was that bad.
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
                    While this whole thing is disgusting, I really think you need to separate football from "real life." IMHO you're being a bit outrageous. I don't think you can compare trying to keep your kids off drugs to cutting a mediocre football player for underperforming and a stupid penalty. Even trying to make that comparison is silly if you ask me.

Think about it. If you fired every person in the country who was better at their job than being a parent, there sure would be a lot of unemployed people out there wouldn't there, no?
                    Chris I probably have done as much in dope as most of the people on this forum put together. I have also seen up close and personal the extreme negatives of hard drugs on my family and freinds. I can not believe for a minute that Reid, a bright, observant guy who employs a well known security team to keep track of his players, was unaware of and made no effort to verify what was going on under his nose in his own "drug emporium". I think it was his knowledge of what his players were doing that led to the trades of John Welbourn and Hollis Thomas. No way that you or anyone can convince me that their steroid abuse was worse or more dangerous than the drug use and drug sales of his kid. These young men Garret and Brett are protected scum and Andy was their protector. His behaviour to me is pure hypocrisy. I no longer can respect him, in fact I hate cowards and hypocrites. Goodbye Andy.

Comment

FD - don't know what to say. I think your indictment of Reid and the job he is doing in the workplace because of what is happening at his home is way out there. If Reid was breaking the law, sure. So you are saying Reid is aiding and abetting - is that it?

Some people see those with addiction as cases where if they don't want to help him/herself, then I can't help you. We know Andy Reid to be a man of strong religious beliefs. Do you know what Mormons say about addiction? I can't say that I do but perhaps there is something behind them turning a blind eye to it. Perhaps when you turn 18 in the Reid family's mind, you are on your own. We don't have a clue what is going on but I can't agree with demanding Lurie to fire him over his two kids' addiction.

Comment

[quote=Flying Dutchman]
                        Originally posted by "Flying Dutchman":91557

Think about it. If you fired every person in the country who was better at their job than being a parent, there sure would be a lot of unemployed people out there wouldn't there, no?
                        Chris I probably have done as much in dope as most of the people on this forum put together. I have also seen up close and personal the extreme negatives of hard drugs on my family and freinds. I can not believe for a minute that Reid, a bright, observant guy who employs a well known security team to keep track of his players, was unaware of and made no effort to verify what was going on under his nose in his own "drug emporium". I think it was his knowledge of what his players were doing that led to the trades of John Welbourn and Hollis Thomas. No way that you or anyone can convince me that their steroid abuse was worse or more dangerous than the drug use and drug sales of his kid. These young men Garret and Brett are protected scum and Andy was their protector. His behaviour to me is pure hypocrisy. I no longer can respect him, in fact I hate cowards and hypocrites. Goodbye Andy.[/quote:91557]

I didn't say I thought Ried was unaware of what was going on at home. How would I know? I seems like that he knew something was happening, but then again NFL coaches spend almost 24 hours per day at the office, so maybe he didn't.

The point is, the notion that a person should be fired from their job for being a bad father - which is essentially what you are saying - is a concept I can't wrap my brain around. I still say it's a thousand times harder to be a parent for most people than it is to a football coach. Similarly it's a whole lot easier to send a steriod using player packing than it is to keep your ADULT sons from using drugs. I'm not sure I'm following how the two are equivalent, and that being able to cut someone from a football team, but not be able to doing anything about a son's drug use means you're a hypocrite.

Comment

[quote=Flying Dutchman]
                          Originally posted by "Flying Dutchman":ece90

Chris I probably have done as much in dope as most of the people on this forum put together. I have also seen up close and personal the extreme negatives of hard drugs on my family and freinds. I can not believe for a minute that Reid, a bright, observant guy who employs a well known security team to keep track of his players, was unaware of and made no effort to verify what was going on under his nose in his own "drug emporium". I think it was his knowledge of what his players were doing that led to the trades of John Welbourn and Hollis Thomas. No way that you or anyone can convince me that their steroid abuse was worse or more dangerous than the drug use and drug sales of his kid. These young men Garret and Brett are protected scum and Andy was their protector. His behaviour to me is pure hypocrisy. I no longer can respect him, in fact I hate cowards and hypocrites. Goodbye Andy.[/quote:ece90]

It is possible for Andy to suffer from the same denial traits that the addicted person suffers from. The whole family gets sick when one is sick like this. In my opinion it is not fair to heap judgement on him like you are doing and compare it to how he is at work. Those are 2 different dynamics at work. You do not have an understnding of this situation as much as you think you do. Be careful when you judge lest you be judged.

Comment

This statement from the judge is even more compelling.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon," Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill said before sentencing 22-year-old Britt Reid to up to 23 months in jail plus probation.

"I'm saying this is a family in crisis," O'Neill said (OUCH- that one had to hurt)

I mean, how disturbing is it that the kid had 89 pills in his cell that he smuggled in his RECTUM. Those people who thought he'd be safe from drugs in jail were seriously delusional.

Comment

Too many negative responses to address each one individually. I have no interest in trying to tripe that much. My point is simply that our once respected leader, has watched and condoned extreme drug abuse (he probably did not know about the drug sales and wrongly made no attempt to find out) in his own family and chose to blindly look away. At the same time he demands possibly the highest level of character and obedience from his players in the league. I find this dichotomy very hypocritical. The man has a private family and a professional family. He's very quick to censure one but is unable to censure the other, he is a hypocrite. I don't accept such a double standard.

Comment

While I understand the reaction, what if this was your co-worker that was having these problems with their children? Should they be fired? What if they had hiring/firing authority, were fairly senior in the company, etc? Should THEY be fired?
                                As someone said above, its a lot harder to be a good parent than a good worker, and what happens outside the workplace, as long as it doesnt affect job performance (ok, did everyone hear the can of worms opening? ), shouldnt have a bearing on your employment.
                                I still think the kids got what they deserved, though. At least they werent able to buy their way out of it, and maybe prison can clean them up and/or scare the sh*t out of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X