Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Importance Of The Huddle Before Crucial Plays.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance Of The Huddle Before Crucial Plays.

I am firmly convinced that Chip Kelly will not let this offense huddle at least on crucial downs because he does not have any confidence whatsoever in his quarterback or his receivers.

A huddle on third down or any crucial, potentially game changing or game winning play could spell the difference for this offense in sustaining drives and scoring more often. How many times have we watched this offense go three and out after third down failures?

With the few seconds that an offense has to huddle, actual important strategy can be exchanged between the QB and his unit. Receivers can tip off the QB about what a certain defensive back is either doing or not doing, whether he's playing his man honest or whether he's playing him loose. Or what a safety is doing or not doing right before a play occurs.

I also believe that the field general should have a right to discount a called play from the sideline if he thinks a play he wants to run will have a better chance to work. This is when the huddle is imperative for this option.

Kelly just doesn't believe in his QB or his receivers, in my opinion, which means the coach wont change his offensive approach enough to trust his offensive unit within the confines of a huddle before crucial plays.

While this may be a possibility Bill.... I think his no huddle can and does work--- if used properly to tire a defense out. They practice it all the time, so it isn't a matter of not getting the proper info, the plays have just been consistently good at being terribly inconsistent.

I think the no huddle is a great tool, when used properly. But it won't work with crappy play calling, and refusing to change when things aren't working.

One of the things I see is his refusal to have the QB under center more often, this constant shotgun hurts more than it helps, when your forte is trying to be a running team.

I really do kinda like the system, with the proper people and play-calling. Not this half assed crap we get to see each week.

Comment

The no-huddle offense is great when plays are being executed properly and blocks are being made. It doesn't look good when the execution is poor. The problem, this year, is our offensive line has been devastated by injuries and costly personnel moves. If Kelly is guilty of anything in how we have performed this season, it is in his allowing Herremans and Mathis to leave the team and not thinking about Peters' potential physical problems since he was already coming off an injury.

It may be wise to be more versatile and less doctrinaire about running a no-huddle offense, but I don't think huddling will do much good if the players are not executing.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

A balance between the two is best. The biggest problem that I see with Chip's offense is that the wrs get exhausted and they are rotated too much. PR makes a excellent point about huddles though. It gives players time to communicate and regroup between plays. That no huddle is fine when everything is clicking.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          A balance between the two is best. The biggest problem that I see with Chip's offense is that the wrs get exhausted and they are rotated too much. PR makes a excellent point about huddles though. It gives players time to communicate and regroup between plays. That no huddle is fine when everything is clicking.
          Well Bradford and his unit had a chance to huddle in the OT against Dallas right before the big play if I remember correctly during a 30 second injury timeout.

I also agree with MD about using the snap over center more often. Like on third and short to help make the defense at least think a running play is coming.

Lurie wont ever hire me as coach but Chip needs to readjust his offensive thinking with this hurry up offense occasionally, I believe. A huddle doesn't have to occur that often but I feel it couldn't hurt at all when it's crunch time also near the goal line.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Rabbit View Post
            Well Bradford and his unit had a chance to huddle in the OT against Dallas right before the big play if I remember correctly during a 30 second injury timeout.

I also agree with MD about using the snap over center more often. Like on third and short to help make the defense at least think a running play is coming.

Lurie wont ever hire me as coach but Chip needs to readjust his offensive thinking with this hurry up offense occasionally, I believe. A huddle doesn't have to occur that often but I feel it couldn't hurt at all when it's crunch time also near the goal line.
            You do have a great point PR (other than making you coach). The no huddle about half the time is a great idea. I hope Chip rethinks this during the offseason. The problem is that you need a real veteran at QB to switch back and forth. It's tough to lay all of that on a kid who doesn't have a couple of years starting.

Comment

IMHO you lose the biggest advantage you get from the no huddle unless you run it most of the time. It serves almost no purpose unless you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                IMHO you lose the biggest advantage you get from the no huddle unless you run it most of the time. It serves almost no purpose unless you use it.
                Why? You gain the advantage of not allowing the defense to substitute whenever you use it.

Comment

The reason Chip uses the no huddle is to prevent the defense from making substitutions and planning how to defend them. The same "advantage" we get by communicating goes away as the defense prepares to stop us. I do agree with PR that Chip doesn't trust the QB & WRs. On 3rd down he takes the easy underneath stuff and asks the receiver to get the first down after the catch. Most of the time they can't do it. The defense is much tougher across the line and requires better ball skills and physical ability. The fact that Chip consistently throws short of the stocks is a sign that he doesn't trust our guys to handle the tougher test.
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    Why? You gain the advantage of not allowing the defense to substitute whenever you use it.
                    Huh? You need to keep running the no huddle to get the advantage of tiring the D out as well as not letting them sub.

Comment

Huh? You need to keep running the no huddle to get the advantage of tiring the D out as well as not letting them sub.
                      It doesn't mean that you have to do it the whole game. Whenever you run a few sprints in a row you get tired. That's why they call them gassers. You run out of gas. You don't have to run it the whole game to get a team winded.

Comment

Never said all the time bud.

Comment

Never said all the time bud.
                          Man, unless these pain killers are on are really screwing me up I'm just not understanding then. Didn't you post:

I took that to mean that you have to run it constantly. I'm saying it works anytime that you use it because the defense can't substitute and of course the defense gets tired if you string the first downs together.

I like the huddle too as PR pointed out. I like teams that change up with the no huddle (Patriots) but not as a steady diet. The biggest benefit is that you control who is on the field for the defense.

Am I making better sense now? I think we're on the same page?

Comment

Working...
                          X