No announcement yet.

Patterson: 6+ sacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am certain I will drink at least 6 beers a game if the D line isn't a bigger force, so for everyone else's safety, I sure hope you're right!

Comment

6 is a good estimate. I could see that.

Comment

I'll take the over on team sacks at 6.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by AToney
          4. Meaning 4 thinking <6, not 4 sacks. I actually think <4, but that would be 1 at <4 since I can't speak for the other 3 at <6.
          I couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

I'd like to see him get 6, but to be honest I am totally unconcerned about the number of sacks Patterson gets. Our problems are with the running game, and if Patterson and the rest of the rotation can lock down the point of attack, and make it difficult for guys like Duce McCallister to get to the second level inside, I don't care if they don't get a single sack all season. We've got plenty of rush off the edge, and blitzers to take care of that aspect. Lock down the running game inside, and whatever sacks they get are gravy.

Comment

Great post, EB.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                I'd like to see him get 6, but to be honest I am totally unconcerned about the number of sacks Patterson gets. Our problems are with the running game, and if Patterson and the rest of the rotation can lock down the point of attack, and make it difficult for guys like Duce McCallister to get to the second level inside, I don't care if they don't get a single sack all season. We've got plenty of rush off the edge, and blitzers to take care of that aspect. Lock down the running game inside, and whatever sacks they get are gravy.
                I do not totally agree...to JJ (and I agree) sacks are a key component of an effective and productive defense and Patterson's skill set includes being able to pressure the QB so I would expect sacks from him...they can lead to turnovers or can ensure the opposing offense ends up in 3rd & long which is where we want them IMO.

The run defense depends on a lot of integrated elements...the DL working together well, the DL getting into the backfield, the DL taking up the OL, the secondary and LB covering well, the offense getting a lead and continuing to score, LB shedding blocks effectively, blitzers getting to the QB or RB, JJ making the right calls etc.

Patterson needs to do his job in conjunction with those other elements to stop the run for sure, but that alone will not be good enough for me...he should be able to do both.
                Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  Patterson needs to do his job in conjunction with those other elements to stop the run for sure, but that alone will not be good enough for me...he should be able to do both.
                  Patterson will get some sacks. He does need to do both, and hopefully Bunkley will awaken and do both as well.

But, I think offenses have realized that the Eagles' D line is so geared to stop the pass, and create pressur via the blitz, that they are loading up and pounding us on the nose with the run game. Because we can't stop it, and it takes us out of our pressure game.

So, unless we can buckle down with the front 7 and stop it, teams will continue to do it. It's really quite simple. We have got to stop teams from running the ball, especially on 1st down.

Get those 2nd and longs, and 3rd and longs, and Patterson will have a better chance at getting those sacks too. But I am honestly more concerned with stopping those rushing attacks first, and a lot of that is on the tackles. They need to hold the point, and being disruptive to the run game with penetration wouldn't hurt either.

I'm good with both though. Lot's of both. And hopefully Bunkley awakens, and starts playing like a first round draft choice. That would help too.

Comment

I agree...I guess I reacted to your sacks could be gravy comment...now I understand what you meant.

I think alot of it is on the LB too...I saw alot of plays last season where Patterson & Co. held the line pretty well, but the LB never filled the holes and made the tackles...both units have to work in tandem well.
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                      They have to at least be able to collapse the pocket on pass plays or all the edge rushers won't do a damn thing to help us. Just think back to 2005 when we had no pressure up the middle and the DEs kept taking themselves out of the play because QBs were able to step right up into the pocket. So while agree sack totals for are DTs aren't all that important, they still need to be able to collapse the pocket.
                      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
                      X