Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So with the FA period essentially out of the way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So with the FA period essentially out of the way...

lets focus on the real upgrade opportunity - the draft.

I think at this point we need to get over the WR crap. Last year, EVEN after we traded for Donte, the big question was whether the post-TO corps would be any good. It didn't make a difference, I don't think it will make this year.

Another question the Eagles bashers kept bringing was their running ability and their committment to running the football. I think it was proven that if the Eagles want to, they can run it on ANYONE.

Obviously I expect another offseason of questioning, starting with McNabb's health, extending onto whether Westbrook will be able to hold on for another year at full load, whether or not the youngsters at the WR position will offset the Stallworth loss, and so on.

But all of us know deep down that the offense, IF Donovan is healthy enough, will be fine. Especially if Marty keeps running 45-50% of the time.

Now the real questions should be asked. What do we do for the defense. How do we fix the real animal?

Will Kearse's return make a huge difference? I believe it will certainly help the pass rush. Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole are adequate rotation guys and certainly among the best backups around the NFL at the DE spot, but Kearse, when healthy and when not double teammed all the time, is on another level. I also think that Howard will benefit from Kearse returning too.

Will Trotter come back for another season? And when I say come back, I mean the real Trotter, not the shadow of himself.

Will Gaither sustain the high level of play to keep and earn himself a WILL starting spot if Trotter is back?

Will Gocong surprise everyone and become the stud draftee that we thought he'll be?

Can Tank Daniels actually step up?

In the secondary, with James, Lito and Brown, and Dawk behind them, we should be fine. Added the word should, because Lito hasn't played a full season since 2004, and James, well, if he remains healthy for the entire year, that's a start. Hanson as a fourth corner is an okay situation, but we need one more.

We also need another safety. Maybe a draftee will come or maybe a FA will come (i.e. Doss, Hamlin).

And last but not least, how about the TE? Is LJ going to be retained?

Which brings me to the real purpose of this 'rant'. The draft.

If I am not mistaken, we have draft picks in all rounds except the fourth. The Eagles also like to move up and draft a player they believe is worth the pick, I don't think this year will be any exception.

As such, I expect us to go all defense, maybe a TE, and the usual OT/OG being drafted in the last couple of rounds if anything. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles did the unthinkable and drafted a stud wideout either. They tend to surprise people a lot with those picks.

If McCoy is their choice to start the WILL spot, Gaither to man the middle, and Gocong to play the SAM, I wouldn't be surprised to see them drafting a CB/S, a workhorse RB (see Hunt, Tony or Davis, Leonard) and a TE in the first three rounds. Not my own choice, but if they believe in the three kids (McCoy, Gaither and Gocong, they might not find anyone in the draft that in their opinion is better).

Anyone else willing to take a wild guess as to what unexpected things the Eagles will do?
    "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

I could honestly see us going D line in the first round... which would be scary, but possible
    Member of the Mike Bartrum Fan Club

Comment

I hate to think of myself as an "EAGLES BASHER". Please don't paint me with that brush. But if you can't see what these guys are doing, you have blinders on. With a late flurry, we finished the 4th best team in the NFC. That made us about the #15 team in professional football (the AFC dominates), give OR TAKE a couple of spots. Given the Philadelphia Eagles financial state in the NFL, and THE UNITED CAPITILISIT STATES OF AMERICA, I find this off season quite offensive.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
        I hate to think of myself as an "EAGLES BASHER". Please don't paint me with that brush. But if you can't see what these guys are doing, you have blinders on. With a late flurry, we finished the 4th best team in the NFC. That made us about the #15 team in professional football (the AFC dominates), give OR TAKE a couple of spots. Given the Philadelphia Eagles financial state in the NFL, and THE UNITED CAPITILISIT STATES OF AMERICA, I find this off season quite offensive.
        E60, you relly need to get rid of your own blinders.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
          OK Dutch, I'll do that. Just tell me what I'm blinded to. I'm as loyal to the team as anybody here.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Here's Spads, saying what some here have already stated: let the whole off-season/season play out first before proclaiming the team a failure.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... p?id=66097

Comment

Dude probably feels like Chip Diller at the end of Animal House, in the middle of a riot, smiling and saying, "Remain calm...all is well!"
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan
                Dude probably feels like Chip Diller at the end of Animal House, in the middle of a riot, smiling and saying, "Remain calm...all is well!"
                Kevin Bacon strikes again!

There's another line from Animal House that I believe often provides insight when I've been disappionted...whether it be by a sports team or a politician.

After wrecking his brother's car during the "Road Trip", D Day explains to Flounder just where he went wrong, "You fucked up! You trusted us!"

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
                  OK Dutch, I'll do that. Just tell me what I'm blinded to. I'm as loyal to the team as anybody here.
                  I have never questioned your loyalty to the Eagles. I simply disagree that there is only one way, to view the Eagles accomplishments, failures, actions or lack therof and and only one way to assess their strategic plans and choices. Any onesided view would be blind IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X