What can happen with Kolb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can happen with Kolb?

Obviously everyone is still baffled with that pick. I think I got over it real quick. Here's the scenarios IMO.

First scenario, is that the kid comes in, competes, and shows so much that by next year or two, he's better than Donovan. What's wrong with that? If that's the case, and he makes the team better, what's the problem? Chances are, if he's better, we wins a SB. The team can trade Donovan (recall what the Vikes got for Culpepper) and move on with a better QB.

Second scenario, is that he sits on the bench, until his contract is up. He's played pretty well in the games he played, but Donovan is simply amazing (which implies several more wins). The kid shows great potential, and teams around the league call for him. Again, what's the problem with that? The team has a chance to get a free 1st rounder or so, and still have Donovan, and be able to draft Donovan's replacement in 4 years.

Third scenario, is that Donovan's career ends prematurely, due to injuries. Possible? Sure, given the last 5 years. The Eagles have the first of the candidates to replace Donovan and can draft another one without any pressure. And, the kid would have been already with the team and the coaches and will step in right away.

And the last scenario, is that the kid stinks. He can't play as well as advertised, and in three years, he gets released. Not the first 2nd round bust, not the last one. Draft busts happen to all teams. Heck, McDougle was a much worst bust, yet the Eagles haven't exactly suffered exclusively because of him.

Now what were the alternatives?

Assume we drafted one of the DBs still on the board. Obviously, the Birds didn't feel that anyone of those was good enough to start, and obviously, they thought that if they draft one of those guys, he can't upseat Considine from the starting job (and obviously Dawk's not going anywhere) and they'll have to sit for a year or two anyway. The best case scenario, is that whoever is drafted, actually starts. The worst case scenario, is that whoever is drafted, actually is a bust.

In other words, in both best case scenarios, both players, the QB and the DB can either become world beaters, in which case the QB has obviously much more value to the team. In both worst case scenarios, neither makes the team, both end up in the NFL Europe or the CFL in 4 years.

Obviously the argument that needs to be presented, is the fact that a DB was a more pressing position of need for the birds, and whoever was drafted, COULD at least contribute in miscellaneous packages that more DBs play (where as only one QB can play all the time ). Which argument can be dismissed that they felt that whoever was on the board, would not be able to actually make that much of a difference.

Either way, time will tell. In three or four years, this might be conteplated as THE pick, or it might be just another bust.

In my book, the birds made a potential trade yesterday - their first, for a future first, a 3rd and a 5th. They thought that they could develop Kolb much like they did with Feeley, then trade him for a first rounder if they don't need him. And usually, the team that trades for a QB is a bad team, which implies that the first rounder will be pretty high.
    "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

fan, I have two issues with your post.

First off, you left out a scenario and detail. What if Kolb doesn't play in any games his first few season? You seem to assume that if soemthinng happend to McNabb he'd get to showcase his stuff. Not true, AJ will be playing. It's a very REAL possibility that Kolb sees no playing time in his rookie contract, so who is going to trade for him.

Secondly, I disagree with you that we didn't suffer for the McDouble bust. We gave up a lot for a guy that never produces and simply swallowed resources.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Fresh,

let me start by saying that I agree with your points, but:

I don't expect Kolb to play at all this year or even next year, even if Donovan misses both seasons (god forbid...). I was saying three or four years down the line. I believe the contract of second rounders is four years max. Hence, by his third or fourth year, he would have played. What if we have 2005 all over again next year or the year after?

And about McDougle, I think I used the wrong words - I don't mean it in the sense that it kept us from winning the SB. I think that if McDougle was, say a probowler, he'd be in Howard's place. And Howard's money would be cap space

Because truth be told, we were never cap stranded, or missed only one player that McDougle could've fetched. And I mean it in a more general line of thought, that first round busts happen to every team, and it's not like teams depend on first rounders to win the SBs. In fact the Eagles manage to do such a good job on the draft, that they have the luxury of affording first round busts.
      "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

I was as baffled by everybody, and I'm sure McNabb is still pretty shocked by it.

But I took a look at the clips of this guy, and he looks like an outstanding QB prospect for a Reid offense. He's big, mobile, and has a strong, accurate arm. Big Red says he's got good leadership qualities.

I love Donovan McNabb and want him to play QB for the Eagles forever. But he won't, of course. They've got to start planning for a post-McNabb era, especially in light of his recent injury history.
        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

IMO Kolb is a hedge against a future season-ending or career-ending McNabb injury. The cap ramifications angle is secondary, but should be taken into account. As I stated in other posts previously, consider that Feeleys' deal was for 2 years and Holcomb is a journeyman who may or may not be in the Eagles locker room in a few years. I am still surprised by the pick, but if veiwed through this lens, I think I understand it better.

Comment

The only answer is that they don't see AJ as the future QB of this team. At best he will be a back up and they want to try to find someone who may be a future QB of the team if needed.
            As for what he could or could not eventually produce in a trade that is a real gamble. That didn't draft him looking to get something in future trade. Yea, AJ worked out as they drafted him in the 5th (I think) and got a second but the vast majority don't turn out that way and this kid was picked #36.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

This reminds me of the Broncos drafting Tommy Maddox in the 1st round a million years ago, when Elway was at a similar point in his career and had not yet won an SB.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Re: What can happen with Kolb?

Originally posted by fanofthegame76
                Obviously everyone is still baffled with that pick. I think I got over it real quick. Here's the scenarios IMO.

First scenario, is that the kid comes in, competes, and shows so much that by next year or two, he's better than Donovan. What's wrong with that? If that's the case, and he makes the team better, what's the problem? Chances are, if he's better, we wins a SB. The team can trade Donovan (recall what the Vikes got for Culpepper) and move on with a better QB.

Second scenario, is that he sits on the bench, until his contract is up. He's played pretty well in the games he played, but Donovan is simply amazing (which implies several more wins). The kid shows great potential, and teams around the league call for him. Again, what's the problem with that? The team has a chance to get a free 1st rounder or so, and still have Donovan, and be able to draft Donovan's replacement in 4 years.

Third scenario, is that Donovan's career ends prematurely, due to injuries. Possible? Sure, given the last 5 years. The Eagles have the first of the candidates to replace Donovan and can draft another one without any pressure. And, the kid would have been already with the team and the coaches and will step in right away.

And the last scenario, is that the kid stinks. He can't play as well as advertised, and in three years, he gets released. Not the first 2nd round bust, not the last one. Draft busts happen to all teams. Heck, McDougle was a much worst bust, yet the Eagles haven't exactly suffered exclusively because of him.

Now what were the alternatives?

Assume we drafted one of the DBs still on the board. Obviously, the Birds didn't feel that anyone of those was good enough to start, and obviously, they thought that if they draft one of those guys, he can't upseat Considine from the starting job (and obviously Dawk's not going anywhere) and they'll have to sit for a year or two anyway. The best case scenario, is that whoever is drafted, actually starts. The worst case scenario, is that whoever is drafted, actually is a bust.

In other words, in both best case scenarios, both players, the QB and the DB can either become world beaters, in which case the QB has obviously much more value to the team. In both worst case scenarios, neither makes the team, both end up in the NFL Europe or the CFL in 4 years.

Obviously the argument that needs to be presented, is the fact that a DB was a more pressing position of need for the birds, and whoever was drafted, COULD at least contribute in miscellaneous packages that more DBs play (where as only one QB can play all the time ). Which argument can be dismissed that they felt that whoever was on the board, would not be able to actually make that much of a difference.

Either way, time will tell. In three or four years, this might be conteplated as THE pick, or it might be just another bust.

In my book, the birds made a potential trade yesterday - their first, for a future first, a 3rd and a 5th. They thought that they could develop Kolb much like they did with Feeley, then trade him for a first rounder if they don't need him. And usually, the team that trades for a QB is a bad team, which implies that the first rounder will be pretty high.
                Good post! Well thought out and not knee jerk! Good Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
                  This reminds me of the Broncos drafting Tommy Maddox in the 1st round a million years ago, when Elway was at a similar point in his career and had not yet won an SB.
                  Let's just hope that Kolb>Maddox!
                  FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
                  X