Question for discussion.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for discussion.........

700 MPH fastballs-- Vs -- dropped balls!!!!!!!!

We have seen several balls just flat out dropped.

IMO, the speed at which some of those balls come in contributes to some of those drops.

Some may disagree and say that these are pros and the speed should not be a factor.

Thoughts?

I think it's definitely harder for someone close by to catch a ball travelling on a rope, at 95 MPH, than it is to catch a nice touch pass. So yes, I think sometimes velocity contributes to drops.

Comment

It is an interesting issue...

I have said for a while that McNabb throws a beautiful deep ball full of touch, loft etc. and throws really nice middle length strikes where he can step in and put it on a rope in between LB and S or down the middle over a shoulder etc. He does really well with screens and those short, lofty dump passes which gain big yards...

But he struggles with the shorter type throws...ones between the screen tosses and the middle length throws...that is where most of the rug burners happen and where alot of the "drops" occur from my subjective observations...

He really throws a laser dart and it is often times off target i.e. not between the numbers on the jersey. They are off the shoulder pad or behind the reciever or too low or too high etc. Most of the time he is throwing into tighter coverage and/or the reciever is going to be hit right at the catch or immediately after.

One would think the short throws would be the easiest, but having played some QB, I can say from my experience I had similar struggles...on short throws I was aiming rather than throwing or felt I had to take more off than was really necessary or was throwing into tight coverage so I had to really sling it in there and that hurt my accuracy...

McNabb seems to be doing those things too...now his recievers have to catch some more of those, these are professional players, not all passes are going to be perfect and good recievers catch the vast majority of the balls thrown to them...but yes I agree McNabb's troubles in that shorter range hurts too.
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

This is one aspect of Dmac's game that troubles me. I don't really care about the occasional worm burner...better a ball in the dirt than an overthrow. He has a nice touch on most of his passes and his touch on deep throws is positively "sweet". Hard throws are ususally a must on any short sideline pass because of the danger of the DB jumping the route.

It's the 5-10 yard bullets going up field that appear, AT TIMES, to be unnecessary. It's one thing if you're threading a needle, but all too often, Dmac seems to gun the ball on short up field passes, wether the coverage is tight or not. It can certainly be argued that professional recievers should catch the rock, no matter how hard it's thrown. But the Bird receivers are what they are...human and largely inexperienced. Cold weather makes his short "fast balls" even tougher to hold on to.

Alot of DMac's accurate passes have been dropped this season and many were NOT fastballs. By reputation, Avant is the only Bird receiver who catches virtually everthing Dmac throws his way. But Avant rarely sees the field.

It would be very interesting to know what #5 thinks when he's watching film and sees his fastballs dropped. Does he ever say to himself, "I could have taken a little off that one. I'll have to work on that."

Comment

If the recievers drop'em... Most of the cornerbacks will too
          Cornerbacks are WO's that more than likely could'nt catch well anyway...
          http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

I also wish he would take some heat off of those passes. He has to get better at knowing when to thread one in there and when to float one in there.

I remember reading stories about him breaking guys fingers with balls in camp. I believe he snapped one of Levens' fingers soon after he signed here in 2002.

Although the velocity will effect a CB trying to catch it too, when his receivers have 'em clang off their chest/hands it gives the DBs an opportunity to grab the tipped balls. I don't like that.

Byron Leftwich is a guy who uses no touch either. He's all about heat.

With all that being said most of the time they hit off the guys hands. If you're a pro - CATCH THE BALL. The dropped passes anger me.

Comment

Working...
            X