No announcement yet.

Grade the Eagles and F/A so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wholeheartedly agree with going for it every year. I can't believe one person at NovaCare goes into the season thinking this is a throw away year for the Eagles. You can say they were lucky with health (virtually all teams that have good years also have healthy years) or with the schedule (you can only play who is there) but every team has that. If Nick Foles progresses to be a complete QB this team will be competitive.
    I disagree that the moves aren't filling holes. Jenkins is only one safety but some think Wolfe can make the jump to starter quality this year. And there is the draft and there are still safeties available in FA. They could use a stud CB but they have two or three guys who are steady if they can put a little pressure on the QB plus they still have the draft. In my mind they still need a studly LB but they can play with the ones they have.
    I don't think they are in the mindset that they are still rebuilding so we shouldn't expect to do well.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      I think this is a bad arguement. You never throw away a season. That is essentially what is being said. New England or Denver closer so its ok for them to go for it but the Eagles are further away? The Eagles were within a last second field goal of going to next round of the playoffs, you have to go for it every year. The thing is you have to make sure you don`t do like the Eagles did in 2011, you have to bring in players who fit your system. I don`t think Demarcus Ware fits the Denver defense, he is a 3-4 outside backer and struggled last year when switching to 4-3. Meanwhile they let Decker walk.

The Eagles still have a major hole at safety they only have one starter in Jenkins right now. There corners rated out below league average and they havea 4-3 end attempting to play 3-4 outside linebacker. None of this was addressed via free agency, unless of course you think special teams players Maragos, Braman and Caroll are going to be starters. All of these positions can`t be address in the draft. They needed to use some of the billions of dollars they still have left under the cap and at least filled the other safety postion or signed a corner like Verner or both. Then they truly could have let the draft come to them at 22 , 54 etc. Now they have to fill at least one safety spot, they need to get a true 3-4 outside rush linebacker and that is before they can even look at positions that will need to be replaced in 2015 like guard, middle linebacker etc (which is the best way to draft)
      I am wondering if they don't plan on using all the pieces they just picked up in various roles in limited minutes, pulling the best qualities from each. I also thought that maybe Boykin could rotate around the dbackfield in an effort to give him more plays. Braman played with his hand in the dirt in college and could give T Cole a break, Cole was on the field a lot and Braman seems to have a bit of upside and the size ( 6'5 241) Chip likes. Jenkins has the ability to play multiple roles, Maragos could be counted on for toughness in short yardage situations. Carroll will IMO also play a variety of roles on the D. I truly think this defense has gotten a lot better. Time will tell , but the fact that Coleman ,Chung and Anderson won't be playing is as big as who will. I would like to see them take a run at bringing Allen back in the mix.
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        I am wondering if they don't plan on using all the pieces they just picked up in various roles in limited minutes, pulling the best qualities from each. I also thought that maybe Boykin could rotate around the dbackfield in an effort to give him more plays. Braman played with his hand in the dirt in college and could give T Cole a break, Cole was on the field a lot and Braman seems to have a bit of upside and the size ( 6'5 241) Chip likes. Jenkins has the ability to play multiple roles, Maragos could be counted on for toughness in short yardage situations. Carroll will IMO also play a variety of roles on the D. I truly think this defense has gotten a lot better. Time will tell , but the fact that Coleman ,Chung and Anderson won't be playing is as big as who will. I would like to see them take a run at bringing Allen back in the mix.
        And also factor in the return of Wolff who they lost for the second half of last season.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

And now Allen is back! (FWIW)

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            I think this is a bad arguement. You never throw away a season. That is essentially what is being said. New England or Denver closer so its ok for them to go for it but the Eagles are further away? The Eagles were within a last second field goal of going to next round of the playoffs, you have to go for it every year. The thing is you have to make sure you don`t do like the Eagles did in 2011, you have to bring in players who fit your system. I don`t think Demarcus Ware fits the Denver defense, he is a 3-4 outside backer and struggled last year when switching to 4-3. Meanwhile they let Decker walk.

The Eagles still have a major hole at safety they only have one starter in Jenkins right now. There corners rated out below league average and they havea 4-3 end attempting to play 3-4 outside linebacker. None of this was addressed via free agency, unless of course you think special teams players Maragos, Braman and Caroll are going to be starters. All of these positions can`t be address in the draft. They needed to use some of the billions of dollars they still have left under the cap and at least filled the other safety postion or signed a corner like Verner or both. Then they truly could have let the draft come to them at 22 , 54 etc. Now they have to fill at least one safety spot, they need to get a true 3-4 outside rush linebacker and that is before they can even look at positions that will need to be replaced in 2015 like guard, middle linebacker etc (which is the best way to draft)
            Whoever said we were throwing away a season?

We are building something for the long term and are only starting year 2 of the process...

The Broncos are not re-building, they are already at the threshold and going all-out because they have a very limited window (1-2 years) before Peyton is finished as an elite QB and they are throwing money around to land as much talent as they can to try and ensure a SB win before that window closes and they need to re-build around a different QB.

The problem with this is there is NO way to gaurantee a SB win nor is there a way to gaurantee even getting to the SB....plus they are putting themselves in a cap crunch that they will eventually have to pay the piper on which may hinder that re-build process. Its a high risk, high reward strategy that may pay off or may fall flat.

The Pats are in a similar position, again they are not re-building, but rather fine tuning the roster. They are smarter cap and development-wise than the Broncos - they know they have a similar window of time with Brady, but are not going totally all-out - they are making targeted moves that can help them win now, but without mortgaging the future completely knowing they will need to re-build around a different QB soon as well and understanding being in good cap health aids that process alot.

The Eagles are in a different position than either the Broncos or Pats. They are re-building and are in year 2 of the process, meaning they have a young growing QB and mostly young talent growing together around him in all 3 units.

Of course everyone on and involved with the Eagles wants to win the SB, but they also understand they need more and better talent, more depth and more experience before that is likely to happen even if they threw tons of money around at over-rated FA. In fact, that would HURT the process because it would take away their financial flexibility to retain their current talent and continue building the core that can compete for the ring and would also crowd out the young talent they want to develop...

No one is arguing to throw away a season...but if you believe we will win a SB this season you're probably going to be dissapointed since the team is not fully ready yet and not fully built yet to have a likely shot at that end result...thats just reality and fact.

Could it happen? Absolutely and they'll be doing everything they can to get there, but they also want to be great for a long stretch of years since the more chances you give your team the higher the odds are that it will get achieved...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

And that philosophy has worked out SO well in the past, LOL!

I agree, we are not ready yet. But this "build for the future" notion is overplayed.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                And that philosophy has worked out SO well in the past, LOL!

I agree, we are not ready yet. But this "build for the future" notion is overplayed.
                What else can you do with a bunch of kids in a draft Fresh? Usually you have a handful of studs in the top 5 or so, but after that they're really just kids.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think in order to rebuild you have to have built something first. Since the Eagles last Championship was 50 plus years ago that is a long rebuild.

While I understand what some of you are saying and trust me I wouldn't have sign Demarcus Ware to that kind of money or Talib etc, but with the amount of money this team has they shouldn't be shying away from 27 year old safeties like TJ Ward, he is somebody that is still young enough to be for the here and now and the future.

They resigned Allen which I think is a good move, he got better as the year went on and for the first time in his career he will be in the same defense two years in a row. That could wind up being a great move.

The Eagles are close, very close at this point, I don't buy that they can't win it all next year, fix the pass rush and improve in year two on defense and this team could win it all
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Luck certainly plays a huge role in a team's success - as proven by the New York Giants who won two of the last seven Super Bowls. If we stay healthy, get additional defensive help through the draft, and Foles continues to improve, we have just as good a chance as any other team to win the Super Bowl.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Relying on the draft for help this year isn't very realistic IMO. Especially a pensive player. They're really just not strong enough as rooks.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                      X