Closer part 2...................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closer part 2...................

What in the hell is wrong with this guy?

Is anybody confident going into the post season with this closer? (rhetorical I know)

So fucking frustrating.

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical." Lawrence Peter Berra.

I'm afraid with Mr Lidge it's about 190% mental at this point. After a few decent performances lately, after the dramatic comeback in the top of the 9th, tonight's pathetic meltdown was an mind boggling disaster.

If the Phils go into post season with this edition of Lidge they will be gang raped.

Comment

There was no doubt in my mind that we wold lose tonight. I knew it the minute Lidge came in. I said to my Dad that you have to have at least a three run lead to bring Lidge in because he gives up at least one run a game now. I had no idea three runs STILL wasn't enough!!!
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

They can't win a title with this version of Lidge, period.

And last years Lidge will not emerge this year, IMO.

They have to get someone onto this roster by whatever the deadline is so they can close in the playoffs.
        www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Steve Phillips had one criticism of the Phillies handling of Lidge that I kind of agree with. They used him four days in a row. He thinks thats a bad idea, especially when they are trying to build his confidence. Four days in a row is setting him up to fail.

The only thing that I'd add to that is Charlie seems to consider Lidge his 9th inning guy, so he often uses him in non-save situations. When he hasn't pitched in awhile, I understand that. But he'll do that even after he's had a good amount of work.
          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

So I read on Philly.com this morning:

Lidge had maintained through many bad outings that his pitches felt good, but last night was different. "I didn't have anything on the ball tonight," he said.
            The closer said he felt tired after pitching in three consecutive games before last night. Pitching coach Rich Dubee asked Lidge how he felt, and Lidge said, "If you want me to pitch 10 days in a row, I will."

Is Lidge just an idiot? Liar? Pseudo-tough guy?
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

If you don't have it--- tell somebody and let Madson or Erye close this one! Sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                So I read on Philly.com this morning:

Lidge had maintained through many bad outings that his pitches felt good, but last night was different. "I didn't have anything on the ball tonight," he said.
                The closer said he felt tired after pitching in three consecutive games before last night. Pitching coach Rich Dubee asked Lidge how he felt, and Lidge said, "If you want me to pitch 10 days in a row, I will."

Is Lidge just an idiot? Liar? Pseudo-tough guy?

To me, that is the lame 'after-the-fact' excuse of a guy who has run out of excuses and is now playing the 'good soldier turned victim' card. Pathetic!

Couple of points...mostly serious:

- I think this guy is now an emotional basket case in terms of his confidence and ability to 'stay in the moment' and shut out negative thoughts. There may be some physical issues as well but Lidge's history raises very serious concerns about his vulnerability to mind fuck himself. It's finally OVER...he's DONE...at least for this season and, probably, with this team.

- It would probably just have been delaying the inevitable, but Charlie should not have sent him out 4 days in a row. Both Madson and Park were legit options and, even if they sucked, it would have been better for either of them to BLOW the save than to devastate Lidge's recent minimal progress in regaining composure/confidence.

- If he felt tired he should have said something BEFORE letting his mates down again. It's not like he's not throwing himself on a grenade here to save his buddies. You don't get good guy points for 'taking one for the team' when the task is to close the damn game!! The bull pen guys MAY still be in his corner(doubtful), but you can bet there are some starters and regulars that would love to stick their foot in his ass. HE THREW 5 FUCKING BATTING PRACTICE PITCHES TO 3 AAA PLAYERS!!!!

- While Charlie has few great options ANYTHING/ANYONE at this point is better than what we see most nights from Lidge. The reclamation project MUST be closed down. This is not the Nats or Mets playing out the string. This is a team with a very legit chance to repeat as WFC...an opportunity available to very few teams. Charlie's loyalty to and concern about an individual MUST finish well below loyalty to the team as a whole, to ownership and to the fan base. They may very well not win without Lidge but they are almost a lock to lose WITH him as the closer!

- The EX-shrink in me has some genuine sympathy for the mental agony and crushing self-doubt I suspect Lidge is enduring. That's the PAST!! The born-in-the-blood fan(atic) in me is finally and totally fed up with this sad sack puke who is not earning his pay check and is betraying the hopes of team mates and fans alike.

Charlie! CHARLIE!! CHARLIE!!!....I'm talkin' to you DAMN IT! Don't MAKE me come down there!!
                Last edited by tinopuno; 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

So Tino, If I'm reading right, you want to give Lidge a few more opportunities, figuring he'll come around? Did I get that right?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    So Tino, If I'm reading right, you want to give Lidge a few more opportunities, figuring he'll come around? Did I get that right?
                    Absolutely correct!

Your ability to read between the lines is uncanny! Some might have read my posts and concluded...in error...that I was unhappy with Brad.

To demonstrate my support for Brad, earlier today I sent him the following e-mail:

Dear Brad,
                    Thanks so much for last year! You were SO SPECIAL! It meant so much to all us Phillies fans.
                    This year has been a little different though, hasn't it! Just want you to know we're all still thinking about you...a lot! We think we MAY know of a good way out of what must be a painful and embarrassing situation for you. I don't want to be too concrete in my suggestions because than you're deprived of the thrill of figuring out on your own the 'right thing to do'.

So, maybe if you just think real hard about the kinds of things Japanese military and political leaders used to do to make things right when they 'let people down that admired them' you'll come up with some good ideas! OK!

Have a nice day!

Your friend,
                    Tinopuno

I think that should help.

Comment

Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I think he thinking more along the lines of a big ole sword, but yeah, that might work also.

Comment

Conlin(boo by the way) in his piece today suggests that Amaro step in and force Cholly to anoint another closer........ anybody support that stance?

I don't BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            Conlin(boo by the way) in his piece today suggests that Amaro step in and force Cholly to anoint another closer........ anybody support that stance?

I don't BTW.
                            It would depend on 1) how stubbornly Charlie stuck with Lidge (assuming no improvement) and 2) what options RAJ provided him. Both Charlie and RAJ have more important obligations than protecting Brad's fragile psyche.

Besides, it won't be necessary for RAJ to step in. I know some people that are gonna have a little talk with Charlie. (with heavy South Philly accent)I tink yo know what it is I'm talkin about.

Comment

Myers will be the closer soon.
                              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                              Playoff Appearances:
                              NFC Title Games:
                              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                              X