Zeke's Suspension Upheld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Everybody is all over Goodell for the way he runs things but Taglabue let those Dallas teams run wild. At least it seams like he's trying to clean things up.

Actually, it's because Jerry went back on his promise to never blow his load in Roger's mouth.

The Devil made me write that!

Comment

Everybody is all over Goodell for the way he runs things but Taglabue let those Dallas teams run wild. At least it seams like he's trying to clean things up.
      As long as things were kept out of the press, I don't think Tagliabue cared. And he would have probably just let the courts handle this stuff -- suspensions were incredibly rare.

Goodell was trying to clean up some of those image issues from the get-go, though, probably to appease sponsors. He is absolutely horrible at PR himself though -- he mainly is good at TV contract negotiations. It has gotten a bit ridiculous, but their botching of the Ray Rice case is going to affect things permanently, as they are now almost seen as a second court system for anything a player does wrong.

In this case, the NFL's letter basically said the witness was unreliable, but the photographs spoke for themselves. There may have been an internal argument at the NFL, but don't see how that makes it likely that the CBA was violated. And the NFL now has a fair amount of precedent from the Brady case -- the NFLPA can't keep using the same arguments in court.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
        As long as things were kept out of the press, I don't think Tagliabue cared. And he would have probably just let the courts handle this stuff -- suspensions were incredibly rare.

Goodell was trying to clean up some of those image issues from the get-go, though, probably to appease sponsors. He is absolutely horrible at PR himself though -- he mainly is good at TV contract negotiations. It has gotten a bit ridiculous, but their botching of the Ray Rice case is going to affect things permanently, as they are now almost seen as a second court system for anything a player does wrong.

In this case, the NFL's letter basically said the witness was unreliable, but the photographs spoke for themselves. There may have been an internal argument at the NFL, but don't see how that makes it likely that the CBA was violated. And the NFL now has a fair amount of precedent from the Brady case -- the NFLPA can't keep using the same arguments in court.
        Yeah, the Rice deal was almost like the Brady thing. Did the Commish see the tape or didn't he? If he didn't you can't fault him for only 2 games because the wife was sobbing and begging him to let them be. He has a human side too. It wasn't until after the tape came out that everybody started going nuts.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Texas court grants Zeke Elliott's temporary restraining order
          Sep
          9/8/2017 5:35:40 PM

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has been granted a temporary restraining order against the NFL by a Texas district court according to Lindsay H. Jones of USA Today Sports.

Elliott was already set to play Sunday night against the New York Giants but now he will likely be playing far longer into the season. The NFL's next move would be to appeal district judge Amos Mazzant’s ruling to a 5th circuit appeals court, but that process would take months. Elliott would most likely be allowed to remain a part of the Cowboys while the case remains in the legal system in much the same way as Tom Brady stayed on the field during the Deflategate controversy in 2015.

Comment

Yeah, the Rice deal was almost like the Brady thing. Did the Commish see the tape or didn't he? If he didn't you can't fault him for only 2 games because the wife was sobbing and begging him to let them be. He has a human side too. It wasn't until after the tape came out that everybody started going nuts.
            If the NFL had actually done a good investigation, interviewed the wife separately etc., and said despite the severity of the video that Rice had showed genuine remorse, and taken concrete steps (counseling, and actual changed behavior, and speaking on the issue to others, etc.), such that it warranted mitigation of the original 6-game suspension to 2, that may well have worked. But they didn't investigate anything and just gave him 2 games because Baltimore asked for that, then the video came out and they had nothing to fall back on. In the end, it was a major disservice. 4 or 6 games and the whole thing may have quieted down and Rice may have gotten another year or two in the league.

As for the Elliott restraining order, it's a little surprising. But it sounds like he ruled that the *arbitrator* did not give Elliott a fair hearing, not necessarily that the NFL did anything wrong to begin with. Weird, and something the league is likely to appeal if the eventual ruling does not go their way (which the restraining order would hint it would not). But this case could take months to play out now, meaning Elliott may play this season (like Brady did). Of course, Brady eventually lost on appear and got suspended the next year.

Comment

I'll just say that everybody wants a film and the film will bury you. They could have investigated the heck out of that Rice case and it would still have come down to hearsay. Would all of the riots and the big payday for Rodney King ever happened without it? The wife was pleading and sobbing for Goodell to go easy and let them go quietly into the sunset because she was beating on him. I think that I can forgive Goodell for listening there. But then the film came out.............

Comment

Texas court grants Zeke Elliott's temporary restraining order
                Sep
                9/8/2017 5:35:40 PM

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has been granted a temporary restraining order against the NFL by a Texas district court according to Lindsay H. Jones of USA Today Sports.

Elliott was already set to play Sunday night against the New York Giants but now he will likely be playing far longer into the season. The NFL's next move would be to appeal district judge Amos Mazzant’s ruling to a 5th circuit appeals court, but that process would take months. Elliott would most likely be allowed to remain a part of the Cowboys while the case remains in the legal system in much the same way as Tom Brady stayed on the field during the Deflategate controversy in 2015.
                A "Sherman, Texas" court granted the restraining order. No F'in surprise. Just like the immoral small East Texas town court who process all the nations patent troll lawsuits, because certain companies have the town in their back pocket.

I HATE having to live in this state. I have an awesome job that I would be crazy to leave. But, if that ever goes away, we are out of here. This state is run by the good ole boy network and is corrupt as hell.

I hope to God this all blows up in the Cowboy's face. You know Jerry Jones is in a bar today groping young women, slamming shots and bragging about his power. I hate that slimeball more than Dion Sanders. And, I thought Dion could never be topped.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X