Observations from Eagles/Seahawks game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Eagles/Seahawks game

This was a tough game to watch. Very tough.

1. Carson worst game of his career. He clearly is frustrated, confused, not playing with any confidence. Indecisive etc. I have to say how does a guy who played at an MVP level two years ago look like a third string rookie undrafted QB? I think its a bunch of things. I also don't think this can be fixed immediately. More on that later.

2. Doug clearly is in over his head trying to design an offense without his weapons available. He did nothing today to try and get the offense started. I get it, no right side of his line, no receivers, but there are things you can do, namely roll out Carson. Try some misdirection plays. Hell do a flea flicker do something other than stretch play left, stretch play right, drop back have all the receivers run intermediate routes. Now I am not the QB wasn't playing well and I know that they were fumbling, stumbling bumbling out there but try something. Where is the Doug that ran the Philly Special on 4th and goal in the freakin Super Bowl. He is reminding me of Rich Kotite right now. That is not good. I really don't think they can fix this offense during the year. They need deep threats and I am talking more than DeSean, they need multiple receivers who can catch a intermediate to deep pass. They need possession receivers, they need to fix the offensive line. They need to design an offense that works for Carson. Whatever this is, its not working.

3. How is Pryor on this team for two years and finally get his chance and totally shit the bed. He cost them two drives, one with a penalty and another where he just didn't block the guy in front of him on a 3rd and 1 that turned into a 4th and 4 that of course we didn't convert. If he is on this team he has to be able to at least know the plays.

4. The defense played really well today. I know Mills got beat deep but man does this defense play with more confidence when he is in there.

5. Schwartz really designed a nice game plan for Wilson today. Wilson really didn't play well at all today. He hit on a couple of deep passes one on trick play but for the most part he was held in check.

6. Nice to see JJaw make a tough catch at the end of the game. If anything can come out this it has to be trying to develop this kid over the next few weeks.

7. Do we teach out returners to just let the punt hit the ground. We lose so many yards by letting the ball hit the ground. Its really frustrating.

Overall I think the season is over. We can not overcome Dougs offensive coaching issues. Lurie is going to need to sit Doug down at the end of the year and tell him hire an offensive coordinator and give up the play calling. Plus we need other coaching staff changes. Then we have to build an offense around Carson so the kid can flourish vs playing the way he did today. Oh and get a fucking medical staff that can keep our players on the field. Ridiculous that we played this game so short handed.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Mother fucker! I just wrote out a long reply and it got lost again when I tried to post it! I have to get in the habit of copying the replies because I never know if the site is going to accept the post or give me an error.

The gist of the post was to agree with everything taz wrote with my top off season priorities being:

1. Replacing the medical and training staff. According to Football Outsiders, the Eagles ranked 31 last year for games missed due to player injuries. 2017 had the Eagles ranked 13 and interestingly, that number dropped from a ranking of 4 in 2016, the same year the Eagles revamped the medical staff! I don’t know where we stand this year, but the fact that we lost TWO players during the fucking bye week speaks volumes to me! Maybe I’m just plain stupid (my wife says I’m a special kind of stupid so I guess she would disagree....) but I always thought the injury report got shorter after a bye week. But this top flight medical staff managed to increase our number of injuries even though the players were off. That’s amazing! So shit canning these incompetent assholes IMO should be the Eagles top priority.

2. The lack of depth and piss poor performance of this team points to a shitty performance by Howie. He hit on Dillard (today not withstanding) and Sanders, but the fact that JJAW is still a relatively unknown player 10 games into a season on a team deseparate for receivers speaks volumes about his ability or more likely, the poor work of the coaches to prepare him for the next level. Add in Shareef Miller who hasn’t seen the field, and the undrafted and obvious whifs on free agents this year and it raises a lot of questions about Howie’s ability to evaluate players. The longer the season goes on the more it appears that Joe Douglas was a bigger part of the talent evaluation than we thought. That being the case we need the second task to be finding a legitimate replacement for him so Howie can get back to managing the cap and determining where to put the financial resources.

3. We need legitimate speed on the field. The Eagles HAVE to bring in at least two speedy receivers this year. I’d keep DJax, JJAW and if Jefferies agrees to restructure I’d keep him as well but I’d unload the rest of the receivers (not including Ward who until yesterday was still a PS guy). You can’t replace everyone at one time but I’d start with these guys and plan to bring in a couple of more new faces in 2021. Revamping the WR corps has to be the top priority for player changes.

4. We need two new starters on the interior oline. Brooks will be 31 next season so drafting his replacement now while he still has a few years left is smart and gives us much needed depth. Kelce has talked about retirement last year and at 32 we need more than an undrafted guard turned center to depend on. Add to these two another versatile multi position backup not named Valapoulahava.

5. Depth at pass rusher, LB and secondary all have to be addressed in some order.

None of these moves do shit for us unless we have a medical team that can keep them on the field and a talent evaluator to make sure we have legitimate talent to put on the field! I didn’t include the need for a true OC and play caller nor did I talk about Swartz and the other coaches, simply because it’s too hard to know who is good and who is the victim of players failing to execute their plans. Either way I think we are looking at the need for a complete overhaul of the Eagles front office and coaching structure. Howie and Doug can stay but both need reduced roles and better support staff to help field better players and a medical staff to keep them on the field. That’s not asking too much is it?
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Our injury ravaged team sucks (offense, defense is playing well). That is the only comment I have this week.

But, at least a healthy Cowboys team lost, playing against a N.E. team with 2 of their top 3 WR out. Misery loves company and the NFC East is an embarrassment.

Comment

First I, and everyone else, know Carson didn't have a good game but I am going to submit that he is becoming McNabb and THAT is on the coaching staff. He is has heard constantly he had to change up his game and not run. Stay in the pocket. While that is great it only works if the OL isn't acting like a sieve and they give him receivers that one, get open and two catch the ball. We are going to see his best days wasted.
        Does this team have talent or does it not have talent. And is that on Howie or, and this is sacrilege, did Joe Douglas not evaluate as well as everyone thinks. Probably deserves its own thread. But Douglas said when he got to NY that he thought this team was built for the future and it had talent. Well if that is the case we need to look at the coaching staff.
        Medical?? Maybe Chip Kelly had a point when he had them drinking voodoo s*** and had a Navy Seal training them. Conditioning is on the coaching staff while medical is on Lurie or Howie or someone in front office. Whatever it is it needs serious attention. It won't be long before FAs don't want to come to Philly because of the injury risk. This is a billion dollar organization. How can they run a ten cent operation on the health of their product
        Ward didn't get far off the line but he caught the F'n ball. I'll say it again--- I'd bench the bunch and give people like Ward and Michel an opportunity. Hollins isn't ever going to be more than Rodney Cooper or whatever his name was.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Doug has become AirReid part deux. It's driving me crazy. It's windy as shit. You've got the entire right side of the O-line out with injuries. You're down 3 starting WRs. So, what do you do?

You call 18 rushing plays, even though Miles Sanders is averaging 5.4 yards a carry. He's averaging 5.4 yards a carry, and you give it to him 12 times. Noooo, instead, let's have Wentz drop back and throw it 33 freaking times. Did I mention it was a one score game until the 4th quarter??

I'm not happy about the injuries. It's very frustrating. But, this shit pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
            Doug has become AirReid part deux. It's driving me crazy. It's windy as shit. You've got the entire right side of the O-line out with injuries. You're down 3 starting WRs. So, what do you do?

You call 18 rushing plays, even though Miles Sanders is averaging 5.4 yards a carry. He's averaging 5.4 yards a carry, and you give it to him 12 times. Noooo, instead, let's have Wentz drop back and throw it 33 freaking times. Did I mention it was a one score game until the 4th quarter??

I'm not happy about the injuries. It's very frustrating. But, this shit pisses me off.

This...

It's been happening all year.

Comment

Rock met hard place----- Look I agree this team needs more balance--- but most if not all D's line up like a run play is coming against us. The O-Line is not reliable from one play to the next. So I can see the dilemma.

Team speed and health right now are problems and Wentz is trying to force things, and he is making huge mistakes because of that pressure, IMM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                Rock met hard place----- Look I agree this team needs more balance--- but most if not all D's line up like a run play is coming against us. The O-Line is not reliable from one play to the next. So I can see the dilemma.

Team speed and health right now are problems and Wentz is trying to force things, and he is making huge mistakes because of that pressure, IMM.
                Preach on MD, Preach on.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                X