Why Jim Johnson gives up so many initial drive scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Jim Johnson gives up so many initial drive scores

OK I like JJ, so I am biased. But he has flaws. Here goes my analysis.

First, one weakness of JJ is he's so good. Follow me on this. He knows all the protections, and all the tendencies. He builds his gameplans around the tendencies of the other O. Most NFL coordinators would do this, but he goes to the extreme IMO. JJ will take away your best player first, then attack your protections and try to limit big plays.

Other teams know this, and like Payton who faced him many times before, they react as follows. First, they go max pro and maybe set up the protections and "rules" a little different on the first drive or 2. Thats why we see so few sacks early, IMO. The D is schooled how to break down a protection that the other O changed. Second, teams that do well against us break tendencies. The Saints did that. On O, they went spread much more than they did before, and threw less to Bush on 3rd down than they had earlier. On D, they blitzed more, and more exotically vs. Andy--who also like JJ goes off the tape.

Now JJ and Big Red will say, hey, if teams beat us with new stuff, thats making them play left handed and we'll take that. We will then adjust. JJ inevitably does adjust well in game, and will adapt pressure packages on the fly to counter the "new wrinkles" for the game.

My beef--thats reactionary D. Why always be at the mercy of another coaches change ups from what they do off tape? I'd like them to just stay in character, play to the identity of this D--attack no matter what!!

Another thing JJ does that makes it easier for other teams is he doesn't flop his cormers. Sheldon and Lito play their sides, no matter what. So a team could put a TE on one side with Bush out side, and the 2 WR's to the other. Lito won't match up with say Horn on the other side, he'll take the TE or more likely Bush. So Payton can dictate by formation to get Hanson on Horn.

JJ also is very predictable about rarely blitzing on first down, or on his side of the 50. Teams can spread out and run without fear of a run blitz on first down, or pass underneath for 7, 8 a pop first down. They do this with McCoy and Trot on the field--not our best cover LB's.

This D has been very poor on 1st down all year IMO. JJ has been reluctant to put 8 in the box, for fear of the deep ball. I say crowd the box, bring the beat and hve the CB's bump and run and disrupt the timing of a guy like Brees, and stuff the running lanes. Force the issue to get to 3rd and long, where we usually excel.

We are losing 1st down, and JJ also waits until a team crosses the 50 to get serious with the pressure. Too predictable.

I also think with Considine in there, he could call some Cat blitzes (corners off the edge) and drop all the LB's into short zones. This is a great pressure to beat short dinkers and dunkers. It gets a clear shot on the QB, particularly if its done from the slot CB.

in many ways I think JJ's struggles have often been based on personnel. I'm not sure who to blame for that.

We've never really had what I would call good cover safeties or good blitzing OLBers. Therefore we too often blitz our safeties and too often end up in a zone coverage that does not utilize the strength we have in cover corners Lito and Sheldon.

teams know this and run alot of crossing routes to get a WR on a LBer or safety in the middle. A good example is how the Saints targetted Trotter and Lewis on Sunday. Two of TO's catches the week before were crossing routes through the zone defense. One was a lofted ball over Lito when there was no safety help because Lewis was blitzing. We are getting burnt in the middle. sucking the corners in so they can later burn us on the outsides

IMHO they need to try Considine back there in coverage and start mixing in some LBer blitzes

Comment

Don't you know that it's not the scheme?
      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

I sort of agree with you JRJ....

My take is that JJ plays a fairly vanilla scheme at the beginning of games, and watches to see how the O is going to come after us, and then adjusts and our D improves.....as you say, reactionary.

It's encouraging to me in that I have developed faith that when I see our opponent moving the ball well against us early in games, that they wil not be able to continue to do that. It makes it LOOK like we are starting out slow, but it's more the playcalling and scheme than anything the players are doing. Or failing to do.

This scheme vs execution argument has been around with us all for years now. Reid is a guy who would obviously be quick to blame the schemes. "gotta put players in position to make plays", etc. Some posters here blame the players primarily for screwing up. I say it's a mixture of both, and it varies from game to game. I have had an issue with schemes frequently lately. I think, as JRJ sems to agree, that we need to use press coverage to disrupt offenses when they go to that 3 step-quick hitting offense to beat our pressure. Just for example.........
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

JJ better find a way to stop the dink and dunk O. CB's playing off 12 yards with a 3 step passer is getting pretty damn old. That last drive was embarrassing, you let a team run 8 minutes off the clock and win with no time on the clock?? I love JJ, but that was poor.
          Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

"That last drive was embarrassing, you let a team run 8 minutes off the clock and win with no time on the clock?? I love JJ, but that was poor. "

LOL,,, And JJ's D had stopped them cold, it was 4th and like 17----- but oops players made a mistake, not a tiny mistake a HUGE game changing mistake and THEN the embarrassment started, IMO.

When do you blame the players?

Comment

If JJ was so good his D wouldn't get beat like bitches in some of our biggest games.
              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Yup, lets fire the old bastard.

Comment

I've been saying this for some time........JJ is TOO predictable. Peyton sure knows that and made JJ pay for it.

This is also one of the reasons I liked having Marty on O this year. Teams do not know what his tendancies are.......yet. Ar is still predictable in that he throws when he should run and runs when he should throw. Every now and then, he figures the coach knows that and he does what he should do, but is not expected to do......McNabb sneaks.

But, please JJ, change up your predicable ways.
                  Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
                    in many ways I think JJ's struggles have often been based on personnel. I'm not sure who to blame for that.

We've never really had what I would call good cover safeties or good
                    Damn. And all these years I thought Dawkins was admired for his ability to do everything....iespecially cover.
                    Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                      "That last drive was embarrassing, you let a team run 8 minutes off the clock and win with no time on the clock?? I love JJ, but that was poor. "

LOL,,, And JJ's D had stopped them cold, it was 4th and like 17----- but oops players made a mistake, not a tiny mistake a HUGE game changing mistake and THEN the embarrassment started, IMO.

When do you blame the players?
                      Ahhhh but here is where you are mistaken, the mistake is partically the player mistake but it is also the mistake of the saftey who is suppose to double check the amount of men on the field AND also an assitant on the sideline who should be counting men on the field. ITs obvious they couldn't count because they both missed the 12 men. Also no way to know we would have been 4th and 17 because COle came unblocked and that was probably a function of having the extra defender on the field.

Once again the league has caught up with Jim Johnson and his defense. This is an extremely talented bunch. Obviously the defensive line is very good, the linebackers have a pro bowler in the middle in ok on the outside. 3 of the 4 defensive backs have been to the pro bowl. But its the all the players fault and Its up to Johnson to put these guys in a position to make plays. Having the defensive backs playing 12 yards off on 3rd and 3 is his fault. having the linebackers playing 8-10 yards deep on 3rd and 1 is his fault. If there was ever a time for a sell out blitz it was on that 3rd and 1 that McAllister sealed the game with a 9 yard run on.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I feel they (D) and JJ will morph into the second half and we'll be feared once again... I hope.
                        http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

[quote="Pedro. Damn. And all these years I thought Dawkins was admired for his ability to do everything....iespecially cover.[/quote]

Dawk sure has great range, can hit and tackle like a monster. But IMHO he has always been average in coverage.

with Lewis being worse....that is a concerning combination IMHO

especially when you blitz one of the safeties so often and leave the other back in coverage.

Comment

Working...
                          X