My Draft thoughts on each player plus grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Draft thoughts on each player plus grades

I have to say I was hot about the Reagor pick. I was stunned by the Hurts pick. I was pissed we would trade a pick to Dallas so they could draft a center. However, if you look what this team has done and is continuing to do with the UDFA they are signing right now over the past three days. they have added some serious speed to this team. I mean serious.

1. Reagor - I am not a big fan of his I want WR who can consistently catch the football. I looked a little closer at his drops and I have to say most of them were fixable. To me is not going to be a day one stud like Jefferson is and I still like Jefferson more. But after seeing what the team accomplished the theme I am OK with this one. Overall B pick

2. Hurts - This one stunned me still does. If I just look at the player he has just about everything you want in a QB. Strong Arm, Fast, throws a great deep ball, and has good pocket awareness. He is not a great pocket passer though. That is probably because he is a shade under 6ft 2. I think Doug has a plan for him and its more than a backup QB. It strange to take this guy in Round 2 but as a Player I think he is an A player, but I give the Pick an F. Too many starting caliber players were left on the board.

3. Taylor - Love this pick. He has everything you would want to develop into a borderline Pro Bowl Linebacker. Fast, Tackles very well, can shed blocks and get through the garbage and can cover. The big thing with him is just lack of playing football. As he gets more experience the better he will be. I give this pick an A

4a. Wallace - I love this pick. I had him as a 2nd round player. He can play just about anywhere in the back 7 besides outside corner. If you watch the way Clemson moved around Isiah Simmons, Usually Wallace was the one to move into the position he vacated. He was roommates with B Dawks son. I think we got a day 1 starter and a steal here. A+

4B Driscoll - They needed offensive line depth and I really like Driscoll. Solid footwork, good strength. Probably a little light for Tackle but that can be remedied with some weight training. A solid Big V replacement. A.

5. Hightower - Love this pick. Size speed hands combo. Not sure he can run all the routes on the tree yet as the tape on him doesn't show that. Probably why he was there in round 5. Normal year he is probably a high 3 pick. I had him as a 4th rounder. Love the video of his grandmother and him. This kid will contribute this year. Grade A

6a. Bradley - As Jim Lyman would say he has good size. Sorry had to do that, most of us OG's who follow basketball will get that reference. I don't see the instincts here. He has good size, good speed. If he makes the team it will be a special teams player. I am fine with that in the sixth round. I still think this is an A pick as the upside is there.

6b. Watkins - Another Speed demon who can flat out scoot. Has soft hands but like Hightower not a ton of routes in the route tree. With the way the practice squads are now I think he starts there but will be called up in some games are returned back in others. Still in round 6 this is an absolute find. Grade A

6c. Tega Wanogho - A real Prince. Late season knee Injury has him fall but no way he should have fell this far. The injury didn't require surgery but he couldn't participate at the combine. With everything shut down he couldn't do his own pro day. I had a 2nd round grade, starting left tackle potential. He will make the team. I think we have seen the last of the Australian. A+

7. Toothill - Have to admit I don't know enough about him. It seems this was Connor Barwins pick. He comes in an competes. For a late 7th round pick and the fact that Barwin likes him I will give him an A.

Undrafted Free Agents
    The three that stick out right now are Raequan Williams DT Michigan State. Adrian Killins RB (4.35 speed) who can flat out scoot and Michael Warren from Cincy who is a little bit bigger back. 5 round grades on all of them.

Figure in the Goodwin was part of this draft class and Slay and you have to say its at least a A class. However the stupidity of trading with Dallas, the reach in the first round and the second round debacle have me drop it down a Grade to a solid B. They have changed the complexity of this team. They flat out can fly on offense but those Jets have to catch the ball and that is my worry. Defensively I am worried about outside corner. Maybe they sign a free agent like Logan Ryan or something to that effect.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Generally agreed. The Reagor pick makes sense to me, though I would have preferred to pair him with different types of receivers later on in the draft -- they went all speedsters and it remains to be seen if those guys can get by press coverage and make catches which may be more contested than in college.

Utterly befuddled by the Hurts pick. Great athlete but not sure he's got the decision-making at QB. Had good stats this past year but unsure if that was more of the system than him -- did not look like a pro QB when at Alabama. As a later round pick may have made sense but feel like the Eagles got way, way too cute here. Would just be a distraction if they try to play with him at QB occasionally, to me. Given the talent available in that second round... hard to justify. If Atlanta wanted a ransom of both picks 21 and 53 for us to move up to 16... in retrospect I would have done that too, though not at the time given a more rational pick at 53.

The rest of the picks seem quite reasonable. The Prince OT sounds particularly good, though not sure we have seen the last of the Australian -- we lost both Vaitai and Peters, so there could still be room for both. Teams are essentially forced to have eight OL active on gameday this year (with rosters at 55). The knee may be worse than is known as well, given teams saw him at the Senior Bowl I think, and he fell pretty dramatically.

If we hit on a bunch of the later round picks, it will make the Hurts pick a lot more palatable.

Comment

You guys keep thinking of hurts as a QB--- I think of more like a Hill with the Saints. This guy is a football player not "just" a backup QB!

Comment

At this point I really want the Eagles to sign Clowney and Logan Ryan. IMO it is going to be critically important to have veteran players with experience given the lack of OTAs and likely loss of (or at least reduction in) training camp. We need upgrades who can pick up the system and hopefully gel quickly with new teammates without the additional pressure of adjusting to the NFL.

Ryan adds another proven starter which we still need given the quality of the receivers we will face in the division this year. The weakest group we will face is the Giants who amazingly didn’t draft a single receiver this week! They still have speed in Slayton and Tate and Shepard may still be able to get the job done. In any case I think having another veteran CB is still needed.

As for Clowney I hate the P-O-S but his ability is undeniable. Imagine what we could do to QBs with Graham, Cox, Hargrove, and Clowney up front and our new speedster LBs attacking as well. The pressure on QBs would instantly help the secondary and take away some of the better receivers we have to face. And besides, it’s always fun to rattle the opposing QB and make them start hearing footsteps even when there aren’t any!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          You guys keep thinking of hurts as a QB--- I think of more like a Hill with the Saints. This guy is a football player not "just" a backup QB!
          Even Hurts stated he doesn't quite know what he'll be doing in the offense!

Some believe that a gadget player/backup QB at 53 was too rich. Count me among them initially. I'm warming up to this pick now.

So I did some thinking: what if a team could field an offense with all of the skill position players having significant QB experience/production? How might that affect defensive scheming against it? It would not be straightforward football as we know it I'm guessing. A lot of trickeration and gadget plays, for sure.

So with the possibility of Hurts and Wentz on the field at the same time, and even with Hurts coming in to spell Wentz, defenses will have to divide their strategizing time scheming against the dual threat. I guess I should look at what teams tried to do against the Saints/Taysom Hill....

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
            Even Hurts stated he doesn't quite know what he'll be doing in the offense!

Some believe that a gadget player/backup QB at 53 was too rich. Count me among them initially. I'm warming up to this pick now.

So I did some thinking: what if a team could field an offense with all of the skill position players having significant QB experience/production? How might that affect defensive scheming against it? It would not be straightforward football as we know it I'm guessing. A lot of trickeration and gadget plays, for sure.

So with the possibility of Hurts and Wentz on the field at the same time, and even with Hurts coming in to spell Wentz, defenses will have to divide their strategizing time scheming against the dual threat. I guess I should look at what teams tried to do against the Saints/Taysom Hill....
            I'm just thinking about the chunks of ground we can eat up. If one of these kids demands double , someone will be open. With a WR deep and Jeffrey/Etz/Goedert taking their guys to the middle of the field, Sanders and Scott are gonna have some open ground. This is where Hurts can be effective too.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Of all the players who came on board yesterday the guy that I'm most stoked about is Killans! I sure hope that he gets a legitimate chance like Pomphry did. Hell they spent all of their OTAs making plays for that stiff. This kid can run circles around him. He looks like one of those guys KC has. He can just fly!! Go MOTAR!!
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Of all the players who came on board yesterday the guy that I'm most stoked about is Killans! I sure hope that he gets a legitimate chance like Pomphry did. Hell they spent all of their OTAs making plays for that stiff. This kid can run circles around him. He looks like one of those guys KC has. He can just fly!! Go MOTAR!!
                he avg 5.74 YPC in college
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  He's 5'8", 168 pounds. Will be interesting to see if he can stand up to the pros. There was a reason someone that fast was a UDFA (like Pumphrey should have been). I do hope we have preseason though, if only to watch him.

Comment

I was listening to the post draft press conference and they were discussing Hurts and it sounded like the new guy on the staff had some input in the process. Marty is back.
                    I waas thinking about the Hurts pick, the bulk of our core is signed through 22,23, 24. All these additions are going to be signed for the same period. The Birds are setting up for a run. If something were to happen to Wentz, Hurts is a guy who can win games for you through the air or ground. The season is not lost, IMO this is part of the thought process.
                    Marty is just one of many who can coach him up. It could be you have an A+ QB and an A- QB if Carson goes down. This could be season saving at some point. I'm good with it

Comment

A touch of reality for me. They picked up 24 players this week. Somewhere between 15 and 20 of them will never see an NFL snap IMM. If six of them have an impact on this year I will be ecstatic
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Speed, Speed and more speed! I love this change!!
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                        X