Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Villanueva had Tomlin's blessings

Steelers tried to be 'united,' avoid political statement, Mike Tomlin says

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday absolved left tackle Alejandro Villanueva for standing alone for the national anthem Sunday. He also defended his decision to be on the field with three assistant coaches while his team, minus Villanueva, stood inside a tunnel at Soldier Field, Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Tomlin, reiterating the stance of his players, said the Steelers were trying to present a “united” front and avoid making a political statement
    during the national anthem by remaining in the tunnel leading to Soldier Field.

The Steelers have been criticized for their stance, especially when Villanueva was the sole player outside the tunnel when the anthem played. Tomlin and assistants Todd Haley, Mike Munchak and James Saxon were on the sidelines midfield.

“When I step into a stadium, I don't play politics,” Tomlin said. “I won't be goaded or pressured into anything.”

Tomlin also defended Villanueva, the former Army Ranger who on Monday apologized for the appearance that the Steelers were not united because he was not with the rest of the team inside the tunnel.

“I don't know why Villanueva was apologizing,” Tomlin said. “He has nothing to apologize for.”

Villanueva, Tomlin said, is the reason Steelers players have not protested during the national anthem, a trend that started last season when former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began sitting, then kneeling, in protest of racial inequality and police brutality.

“The respect they have for Al as a brother has made those demonstrations zero,” Tomlin said. “It has never been an issue for us.”

At least not until President Donald Trump last Friday said during a rally in Alabama that NFL players who kneel should be “fired” and owners should get that “son of a (expletive) off the field.”

Because of Trump's comments, Tomlin said some players “felt differently” than in the past, and that not every one wanted to stand for the anthem in Chicago. Tomlin told the players to come to an agreement as a team.

When the Steelers couldn't reach a unanimous decision “to express displeasure,” Tomlin said they decided to “remove themselves from the situation.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

There are several workable ways to handle this.....

1. Have all players remain inside till after the anthem.

2. If players want to protest... They remain inside, their absence will be noted, and players that want to honor the flag can be on the field.

3. The NFL can in fact make a rule.... You can't wear purple shoes, You can't wear high heels..... All part of you first amendment rights...... Except in a workplace situation.

Comment

Yesterday in Kansas City the head of the FRaternal o of police was on the news and invited all the Chefs to help in inner city youth programs. A lot of police and safety organizations do community service projects and different sorts of assistance and education things in the inner cities across the country. This guy very nicely but specifically asked Marcus Peters to contact him. Peters has been a protester from the start. If Peters actually gets involved I’ll be surprised. Some of the players are involved in their communities. Some just want to complain.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Other workable ways to handle this would be to line everyone up at attention in pretty squares like they do in N Korea -- yea that is sarcasm.
          Or, as I said earlier, let em sit on bench or sit in locker room or stand at attention or whatever.
          Can the NFL make a rule. ABSOLUTELY. It is their playground. But they don't have the rule about standing or saluting or whatever.
          Wrong forum?? What? A football game is the wrong forum for a protest? Look, I used to get angry when sitting with my young kids and the TV station always, I means always, cut to a commercial instead of showing the anthem. I like the anthem and thought my kids should hear someone sing it well. As opposed to grabbing their crotch. But I'll be damned if I heard an outcry from all these God fearing Americans when the stations did that. Hell the VAST majority wouldn't have ever seen or known about people not standing until they put it on TV. Half the friggin stadium has to be told to remove their hat, and many still don't because they are on the phone while the anthem is played. Where is all the outcry about that.
          The only wrong forum has to do with decency. Protesting in sight of a family at a funeral is disgusting because it is disrespectful to a family in mourning; that is the wrong forum. Less than a handful of players kneeling at a time/place where 99+% of the world wouldn't see them not so much. One guy blew this up trying to use a trigger issue, much like another leader in history.
          Fake news. Sell it some where else. Seems you have learned well to use trigger words from Trump.
          You're a big Wildwood guy. Are they still playing the National Anthem and God Bless America everyday at 11:00 on the boardwalk? Cause in August the number of people that stopped what they were doing was a hell of a lot less than 50%.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            Yesterday in Kansas City the head of the FRaternal o of police was on the news and invited all the Chefs to help in inner city youth programs. A lot of police and safety organizations do community service projects and different sorts of assistance and education things in the inner cities across the country. This guy very nicely but specifically asked Marcus Peters to contact him. Peters has been a protester from the start. If Peters actually gets involved I’ll be surprised. Some of the players are involved in their communities. Some just want to complain.
            So, does Peters have a history of working in the community? Does he work in some other community? Does he have a charity? I'm curious why his getting involved would surprise you.
            Of course some players are involved while some are not. Actually the number involved is actually kind of small if you look at it. Teams require players (and cheerleaders for that matter) to make so many appearances or get involved in certain projects. The vast majority do those things required of them but little else.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Other workable ways to handle this would be to line everyone up at attention in pretty squares like they do in N Korea -- yea that is sarcasm.
              Or, as I said earlier, let em sit on bench or sit in locker room or stand at attention or whatever.
              Can the NFL make a rule. ABSOLUTELY. It is their playground. But they don't have the rule about standing or saluting or whatever.
              Wrong forum?? What? A football game is the wrong forum for a protest? Look, I used to get angry when sitting with my young kids and the TV station always, I means always, cut to a commercial instead of showing the anthem. I like the anthem and thought my kids should hear someone sing it well. As opposed to grabbing their crotch. But I'll be damned if I heard an outcry from all these God fearing Americans when the stations did that. Hell the VAST majority wouldn't have ever seen or known about people not standing until they put it on TV. Half the friggin stadium has to be told to remove their hat, and many still don't because they are on the phone while the anthem is played. Where is all the outcry about that.
              The only wrong forum has to do with decency. Protesting in sight of a family at a funeral is disgusting because it is disrespectful to a family in mourning; that is the wrong forum. Less than a handful of players kneeling at a time/place where 99+% of the world wouldn't see them not so much. One guy blew this up trying to use a trigger issue, much like another leader in history.
              Fake news. Sell it some where else. Seems you have learned well to use trigger words from Trump.
              You're a big Wildwood guy. Are they still playing the National Anthem and God Bless America everyday at 11:00 on the boardwalk? Cause in August the number of people that stopped what they were doing was a hell of a lot less than 50%.
              Again I never said they couldn't..... But they have to reap what they sew.

As far as the forum goes..... It's a matter of individual perception. Your perception isn't my perception nor millions of others perception. They lost their message by choosing that forum........ As proven by the backlash. So please spare me all the antidotal stories that have nothing to do with national public figures compared to some guy on the boardwalk.

Again your perception doesn't surpass my perception.

First it was the illegal vs legal right........ Now it's my perception vs your perception as to the forum? Please!

Comment

Peters has a bad rep in the community already and was kicked off his college team. Helluva football player but not a good guy allegedly.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Here's the latest on Kaperdick

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...est/711502001/

Comment

More fuel-Ray Lewis

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sts/712465001/

Comment

Working...
                    X