Talk about over rated...da bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about over rated...da bears

I was less than impressed with the Chicago Bears. I am also annoyed with the mystique the press is casting on this team. They act as though they are the first to go 6 an 0 to start the season. So lets look at them

1. Barely squeak by Minny
    2. Count your blessings, say your prayers, and brush your teeth twice a day - they were schooled against the Cards
    3. Grossman is nobody - get in his face and he becomes drew bledsoe, bret favre, and mark brunell all at the same time
    4. The offense is inept
    5. Good D but no way 1985 - the press can stop that bullshit

They are a strong team and will lose more than a game or two by the end of the year. Really this is the same team the Eagles man handled in 01.

Re: Talk about over rated...da bears

Originally posted by bird is da word
    They are a strong team and will lose more than a game or two by the end of the year. Really this is the same team the Eagles man handled in 01.
    The 2001 Bears team was a complete joke. This is a much better team.

This is Grossman's first full year as a QB. He is going to go through growing pains. He throws a great deep ball. But Arizona was the first team to take that option away from him and dared him to beat them underneath. He did not do that. Chicago got severely outcoached in the first half. Fortunately for them, they were playing the Cardinals and not a competent franchise.

Comment

I think the bears offense got exposed last night. The deep stuff to Berrian is over now that the blueprint is out on stopping them. THey got *3* points.

However, a defense that can win a game like that can't be overrated.

Comment

I'll take their defense in Special Teams over ours
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

That defense got some lucky breaks. If they were as GOOD as you claim they wouldn't have surrendered 23 points to the Cards and they certainly would not have allowed a rookie QB in his 2 start run a successful 2 minute offense...only to watch the kicker choke

Comment

For the love of God......... the NFL season is a long season and even the best teams have games that they look mediocre in.

No need to tear down the Bears because they looked mediocre last night. Unlike us, they have won the close games then have been in.

It seems certain fans in this town get their panties in a bunch if the Birds aren't proclaimed as the best team in the NFC or a favorite to make the Super Bowl. Maybe it's time to accept the fact we aren't the Eagles of 3 years ago when we were the prohibitive favorite to win the NFC.

The Bears are a very good team and right now the best team in the NFC IMO. The Eagles are also a good team with a chance to make a run in the playoffs. But right now they are in a dog fight just to win their division.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
              That defense got some lucky breaks. If they were as GOOD as you claim they wouldn't have surrendered 23 points to the Cards and they certainly would not have allowed a rookie QB in his 2 start run a successful 2 minute offense...only to watch the kicker choke
              Did they come out flat in the first drive? Yes. But they just shut them down completely after that.

In the 2nd quarter the Cardinals had the ball four times and had a total of 8 yards offense. Twice they started with the ball inside the Bears 35 and came away with a total of three points.

Then in the second half, they give up a total of three points and score two touchdowns themselves.

Comment

I think what last night's game proved was that the Bears are definitely beatable. While they may be the best team in the NFC at this point, they really aren't a great team - particularly away from home.

While the offense may have improved with the emergence of Berrian and Grossman, it certainly doesn't overwhelm anybody. Grossman is terrible under pressure - he lofts the ball which translates into easy interceptions. The running game of Jones and Benson also isn't very impressive - they had a hard time running against the Cardinals.

In short, the Bears cannot be considered a great team because they are truly one-dimensional: All Defense. If our offense plays well against them, we blow them out.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by PMD
                  Then in the second half, they give up a total of three points and score two touchdowns themselves.
                  Then they let Arizona march right down the field and set up a game winning field goal. Too bad Carney does not kick for the Cards, then the Bears D would suck just like ours.

Comment

The 2006 Bears definitely aren't a great team and shouldn't be compared with the 1985 Bears, but they ARE a very good team and at this point are the class of the NFC.

Yeah, the Bears looked lousy last night (at least on offense) and were very fortunate to win. On the other hand, essentially EVERY intangible, both in positive terms for the Cardinals and in negative terms for the Bears, was tilted toward Arizona before the game:

- Cardinals playing at home in a rare prime-time appearance
                    - Cardinals had nothing to lose (at least coming into the game)
                    - Cardinals starting an inexperienced but talented QB (greater possibility of surprise to opponent)
                    - Bears were being overhyped and perhaps buying into the hype
                    - Bears had just played 2 great games in a row
                    - Bears playing on the road against an opponent that hadn't won since Week 1
                    - Bears have bye week after the game

I honestly had a strong gut feeling when the game started the Cardinals would pull the upset or at least play very well. They jumped all over the Bears early in the game. Yet the Bears were able to come back, despite the fact Rex Grossman had about as bad a game a quarterback can have. They deserve a hell of a lot of credit for that.

- Bad or mediocre teams don't come back in that game (especially considering how the Bears' offense played)
                    - Good teams come back and make the game competitive but probably don't win
                    - Very good teams come back and find a way to win that game.

Perhaps I'm drinking the Bears Kool-Aid, but not withstanding Rex Grossman's horrific performance last night, he's still the primary reason the Bears are distinctly better this year than they were last year or in 2001. IMO, even last year when Grossman played, the Bears were a distinctly better team, even though he's relatively inexperienced. And Grossman has been even better this year, excluding last night. The Bears are also very good in other facets of the game, which is why they were able to win a game they had no right winning. Very good teams are able to find a way to win most of the time and don't have to rely on the same formula every week. IMO, the Bears are a very good team.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
                      I think what last night's game proved was that the Bears are definitely beatable. While they may be the best team in the NFC at this point, they really aren't a great team - particularly away from home.

While the offense may have improved with the emergence of Berrian and Grossman, it certainly doesn't overwhelm anybody. Grossman is terrible under pressure - he lofts the ball which translates into easy interceptions. The running game of Jones and Benson also isn't very impressive - they had a hard time running against the Cardinals.

In short, the Bears cannot be considered a great team because they are truly one-dimensional: All Defense. If our offense plays well against them, we blow them out.
                      EXACTLY MY POINT.

but listen to any radio program tune into ESPN or NFL network and you would think the bears are the only team to reach 6 and 0. please...they are a good team. i have no problem with that. but to act like they own the NFl outright and will be superbowl champs is lame. they have a long road to travel and they will get everyones best. they will not be undefeated and a superbowl is far from a lock

Comment

Last night confirmed a few things about the Bears for me;

1. Rex Grossman, despite his great start, is still the main question mark for that team. If he's on his game and plays the rest of the season like he started off, they will go far.

If teams stack the line against Thomas Jones and are able to cover up Berrian and Muhammad then it's on Rex to win games. Can he do that? I am not sold yet.

2. Their defense and STs are awesome. Lance Briggs had 15 tackles and Brian Urlacher had 19 tackles. How great is that? I remember thinking how nice it must be to have two stud LBs like that when Baldinger was interviewing Briggs on the NFLN post-game.

Devin Hester's punt return was so clutch. And for a rookie to do that? Even more clutch. That was amazing to watch. However - Hester seems to be a feast or famine guy. He needs to be more consistent when fielding punts. Once he gets that down he might be the leagues next great return man.

3. I voiced this a few weeks ago and will so again now; look at the Bears last year. They were a picture of offensive unstability with Orton leading them at QB. When they faced Carolina, a true playoff tested team, they were beaten. Steve Smith and the Carolina offense had thier way with that stout defense. Charles Tillman had big trouble in that game.

So can Chicago win in the playoffs? No one can answer that now. But they need to prove that before I can take them seriously.

Comment

With all due respect: Your nuts. Don't let a game against a dead ass Cards team fool you. They came back from 20 down when they could have quit. We've kissed 2 games away we should have won. Great teams win games they play poor enough to lose, but find a way to win. Good teams find a way to lose games they should win. The Bears are the real deal.
                          Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

The Cards suck and the Bears were lucky to beat them. THe Cards gave away about 10 points and gave the Bears another 21. I don't care what the reasons are, they looked like shit. They didn't just struggle Monday, they had to squeak out a win over Minny. I said it before and I 'll say it again,,,,,these victories over shitty teams don't show anything.

Let them beat a couple good teams before saying they are #1 in the NFC. Afterall, we are good every year, yet never get such praise early on.
                            Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                              The Cards suck and the Bears were lucky to beat them. THe Cards gave away about 10 points and gave the Bears another 21. I don't care what the reasons are, they looked like shit. They didn't just struggle Monday, they had to squeak out a win over Minny. I said it before and I 'll say it again,,,,,these victories over shitty teams don't show anything.

Let them beat a couple good teams before saying they are #1 in the NFC. Afterall, we are good every year, yet never get such praise early on.
                              Oh please Pedro, you are such an Eagles apologist, both in terms of overstating what good things the Eagles have done and minimizing other teams' positive accomplishments, that it's ridiculous. The Eagles played 3 fairly good teams so far, 2 of them at home, and lost 2 of the 3 games, blowing 4th quarter leads in both losses. The Bears crushed Seattle (the defending NFC champs who happen to be 4-1), who beat on the Giants, who beat the Eagles in Philadelphia. The Vikings are also a decent team who Chicago beat on the road. That's not a great win but it's not a bad win either. The one year under Andy Reid the Eagles started with a long winning streak (2004), the national media was giving them lots of love early in the season. The other seasons in the early 2000's under Big Red the Eagles generally started slowly and picked up the pace as the season went along. THAT'S why the Eagles didn't get that praise early on in the season, because they usually started slowly and lost a few games in September and October.

Comment

Working...
                              X