Pass/Run stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevemc
    While it may be cliche' to say it and while it's just as much the defenses fault as the offense, and it might be a dead issue to some, I will say the TOP battle is important to me.

IMO, Time of possession equals ball control which equals clock management which equals discipline. If you lose the TOP battle BADLY, you are not controlling your own destiny. I don't care if we lose out by 1 minute but when it's a 10 minute gap or worse, that's a problem. If you are a quick strike team such as us, you need to have balance in the form of drive sustaining type plays especially when your quick strike performance ends up with you getting a lead.

Again - TOP is a symbol of clock management.

Clock management doesn't dictate throwing on 3rd and inches with your first possession of the second half to go 3 & out.

Clock management doesn't prescribe with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of throwing as much as running to allow the other team time to get back in the game. It also keeps you from going into overtime where more defensive series leads to your top DL being lost for the season.

Clock management calls for a few more running plays so when you call in your plays on the headset, the playcall is "Westbrook up the middle" rather than "Z waggle left, split T, Bronco, Niner, Fiver, jimmy-jam, caboose, hot floozy" which eventually makes you call a timeout because the playclock ran down.

Clock management allows you to keep your timeouts, shorten the game so that the other team doesn't get in field goal position at the 2 minute warning only to take a knee for the final 2 minutes.

I disagree.....if we execute well and score 24 or more as we are or even more which we could do, that should be more than fine to win games....TOP or no TOP....

The only reason teams have been able to come back on us is poor execution on offense (not adding on points like they could) and horrible defense (not stopping anyone from scoring).

If we improve in those two areas, we could lose the TOP battle and still win like we have in the past....
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK - I disagree. You give any team the opportunity to run 70 to 80 offensive plays and they are bound to score significant points against you.

Comment

VFK - I disagree. You give any team the opportunity to run 70 to 80 offensive plays and they are bound to score significant points against you.
        Exactly, if your offense is on the field longer it means their offense is on the bench longer.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

The Iggles only lost ONE game where they didn't control the clock. The Giants game can't be included in this arguement. I know some of you want to try, but that game was lost for about 20 bizarro reasons. WE HAD 75 OFFENSIVE PLAYS AGAINST THE GNATS.....THE MOST ALL YEAR.

I would like to see the O keep the ball longer, but I will not dismiss the affects those quick strike drives had on our opponents. It gets demoralizing for an O to methodically march down field and only get a FG, then to watch the Iggles get a TD in 2-5 plays. At the rate we were doing it, the other teams had to be pissed at how EASY we made it look.

I still think AR will take what the defense gives him. That is what the offense is deigned to do. The run is not as adaptable as the pass, when there are eight men in the box. AR lets DM audible alot, and he seems to go with what he thinks the D is doing. If they have eight in the box, he will go deep. If they play cover 2, he runs or throws short. That is what most QB's would do.
          Pedro

Comment

As a rule I believe in take what the D gives you. But there comes a time when you have to adapt when they stop giving that to you and there comes a time where you have to impose your will against the other team.
            I also think Andy has made more of an effort to run this year, and I am happy about that. But his timing in using it seems strange. He fails to impose the run game when 3rd & inches (even though they have a massive OL) and as noted earlier he runs 3 times to get a first and then goes away from it.
            I've always said TOP is an indicator (to me anyway) and you have to find the underlying reason. I am also not concerned when it is 1, 2, 3 minutes or even 10 minutes if it is a one time deal. But I wonder how much more time the D has spent on the field the first 6 games of the season (a third of the year). If it is close to 30 minutes that is the equivalent of playing an additional game which should be a concern. If it is under 15 I can't see it as a concern.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
              But I wonder how much more time the D has spent on the field the first 6 games of the season (a third of the year). If it is close to 30 minutes that is the equivalent of playing an additional game which should be a concern. If it is under 15 I can't see it as a concern.
              I quickly looked and we have lost the total time of possession battle through 6 games to the tune of 40.5 minutes.

Comment

I understand your point, Steve, but in past years with a good aggressive defense and productive offense we have been able to win alot of games with this approach...for example, I would bet between 2002-2004 we lost the TOP battle alot yet won the games because our offense scored more than 17-20 a game and our defense did not allow more than 17 regardless of TOP...

It would be interesting to research....now we have an even better offense, but the defense seems to be playing soft for whatever reason...I think our LB, Lewis and some of the rotation DT/DE are not clicking at a high level right now...even Brown looks a bit slow IMO...Lito, Dawk, Howard, Cole, Walker, Patterson and Thomas seem to be the group playing well now. We need the rest of the guys to step up or JJ needs to tweak the scheme to cover the weaknesses better.

ST also is an issue IMO...as many said, we need more of a threat returning kicks and punts...when we had BMitch or Reed doing it, we won the FP battle and could, at times, take one to the house. Our coverage units have been quite good so far, but Akers, Johnson and the returners need to get more on track IMO...
                Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                  But I wonder how much more time the D has spent on the field the first 6 games of the season (a third of the year). If it is close to 30 minutes that is the equivalent of playing an additional game which should be a concern. If it is under 15 I can't see it as a concern.
                  I quickly looked and we have lost the total time of possession battle through 6 games to the tune of 40.5 minutes.
                  Thanks for that, without a doubt research is not a strong skill for me. It appears that if you go with the birds playing 18 games this year (and I still expect that) on this pace the D would play the equivalent of 4 more games. That may be a bit of an obtuse way of looking at it and I'm not sure one can use that as a data point in saying the D will wear down. But I would think it is a concern and something that should be addressed.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

See here for our TOP rankings since 2001:
                    http://forums.sportscolumn.com/viewtopic.php?t=3799

The Eagles have typically been among the worst TOP teams and still had a good record. Most of those poor-TOP teams don't win though.

But even for the Eagles, the TOP has been noticeably worse this year.
                    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

"But even for the Eagles, the TOP has been noticeably worse this year. "

I think the last game put a hurtin on TOP, that Saints last drive and the Giants 4th qtr and maybe even the Dullass 4th qtr may aacount for the "outage".

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                        The Giants game can't be included in this arguement. I know some of you want to try, but that game was lost for about 20 bizarro reasons.
                        And more than a couple of those "bizarro" reasons included not being able to sustain drives in the second half.
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
                        X