TO part 8,572 - cowboys fine TO for missing meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BamaBird
    They free up 5M in cap space if they cut him before the 10th. PFT was talking about how simply Parcells could give his son-in-law, Scott Pioli, a call to talk trade for Branch.

T.O. doesnt have to do a thing now, the media smells blood and now the fun will REALLY begin.
    Can't see the Patriots picking up TO... would be pretty bizarre of they did.
    E A G L E S

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Mark this date on your calendar as the date that the "T-who?" honeymoon "officially" ended for the Cowboys. But Ty has a good point, they have reason to think they can be ok without him, from a playing standpoint. But what T-who? says and does in the Dallas locker room, as he imagines another FO and coaching conspiracy forming against him, is something else.......
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Any thought that the Pats would consider a trade involving Branch and Owens is beyond absurd. There are not many things in life of which one can be absolutely certain. That Bill Belichick would never allow the human Piece of Shit that is Owens on his team is a "certainty"!!

Comment

What I find interesting among all these articles and forums about TO is that I can't find anything about how TO will bring his team down.

Can any of you remember how he did it in Philly? He found a few friends who pacified him by acting like they understood him. This then divided the locker room into, FO apologists vs. TO supporters.

I already saw this scenario developing when someone in their camp commented about how Parcells has already given in to TO when he instructed the TRAINER to tell TO he had to be on the field that week. TO is going to look at that as a weakness of Parcell's or he is going to look at that as Parcell's slighted him by sending someone else to do his dirty work. Remember, TO CANNOT think rationally about anything. So, he will be chewing on this for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time while he rides the bike.

Ultamately TO will seek others to side with him (right or wrong) on this. That will naturally start to cause a buzz in the locker room. Players will start to walk around this locker room, that seems to have no leadership, on egg shells. That DOES AFFECT A TEAM.

How sure am I that this will happen? 100%, since it has already started.
          Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
            Any thought that the Pats would consider a trade involving Branch and Owens is beyond absurd. There are not many things in life of which one can be absolutely certain. That Bill Belichick would never allow the human Piece of Shit that is Owens on his team is a "certainty"!!

No...no. I dont think they (PFT) are talking a TO/Branch trade. They're saying the Boys could cut T.O., free up 5M in cap space and work some sort of trade for Branch. They're just throwing s--- out there and waiting to see what sticks. That was my point. The media is gonna do this week in week out now thanks to the little ammo Parcells and T.O. provided them with. Its gonna be a real circus.

I think ole' Jerry really missed being the main attraction. He's got it now.
            Im Ready........Im Ready......Im Ready!!!!!!

Comment

IMO, this is dead on...it's the cancer affect that can be the killer.
              //////////////////////////////////////////////

What counts is how other players react

GIL LEBRETON
              In My Opinion

Star-Telegram
              Gil LeBretonFor the purposes at hand, it doesn't matter, frankly, what coach Bill Parcells thinks of the daily soap opera of Terrell Owens.

But it does matter what Owens' Cowboys teammates think of it. And that's the litmus test Owens must continue to pass.

Annoying, wasn't it, to read that Owens, Baron Hamstring, didn't see fit to attend a team meeting and a rehab session and was late for Friday's offensive-unit meeting?

Naively, I had prognosticated that Owens, having left bridges smoldering in Philadelphia and San Francisco, would be on his best behavior upon arrival in Texas. The rebound theory. I figured Owens would be smart enough not to undermine his future market value by soiling this latest workplace.

Silly me. And you have my permission to hit me with a large stick if ever I use the words "Owens" and "smart" in the same sentence again.

This isn't, however, Parcells vs. Baron Hamstring. It's never really been about that, no matter how much some of the media salivates at the thought.

No, the real story here is how and when Owens blends in with his Cowboys teammates. How does his work ethic mesh with what's expected of the Cowboys? And all chemistries aside, how many games can a Cowboys team with Terrell Owens win?

Owens reportedly was fined $9,500 for his recent absences and tardies. That's chump change to a guy who's on the books to receive $10 million this season.

The backwash on Owens' transgressions, however, is going to be worth watching.

The Cowboys need him. They need him to catch a thousand yards' worth of passes and to score at least a dozen touchdowns.

But if T.O. continues to be a distraction -- players and Parcells are being peppered with questions about Owens -- this team figures to be too fragile to overcome it.

The root problem isn't the injured hamstring muscle. Nor is it the joke Tour de France outfit that Owens wore on the camp sideline.

Why would he, in this summer of all redemptive summers, be faking an injury?

No, Owens is hurt.

But he's wrong to disrespect a planned rehab session and a team meeting. Players see that and they file it away accordingly.

Add to the file, miss another meeting, and Owens will find some of his teammates turning a cold shoulder. It's happened to him in other places.

In the meantime, quarterback Drew Bledsoe has veteran Terry Glenn to throw to. A nice, alternative No. 1 target.

Glenn's leadership role, however, is undermined by the fact that he often gets hurt.

There is little evidence, granted, that Parcells will seek the advice of team leaders. It's not Bill's style.

The ploy is made more unlikely when you try to compile a list of Cowboys Who Would Stand Up to Baron Hamstring.

Bledsoe? Uhhh, no. He's no Bobby Layne.

Safety Roy Williams? Not interested, it seems, in being a team leader.

But Jason Ferguson? Bradie James? Maybe Marco Rivera? They seem to know which way the locker room wind is blowing, in case Bill ever asks.

In the meantime -- just wait and listen to Parcells' press conference today -- the media is waiting for the so-called "inevitable" eruption between curmudgeon coach and recalcitrant receiver.

Shame on us. Parcells knows he's being watched, and he seems none too happy about it.

It's not the practices that Owens has missed that appear to be solely frustrating Parcells. Rather, Parcells wants Owens to show him that he's healthy enough to help in the upcoming game.

Miss one team meeting, and Baron Hamstring likely could be excused.

Miss another one or two, and the Cowboys players are going to talk. Owens will be hard-pressed to find allies.

There is nothing wrong, of course, with Owens' big-game credentials. He was the individual star of Super Bowl XXXIX, even though he was playing with a sprained ankle and fractured fibula.

Oh, the man can play on game day.

But don't take my word for it.

Ask his new Cowboys teammates.

Comment

i could read these stories all day
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Baron Hamstring, that's a beaut!

Here's another line from another article, along the same line. It's like, "Me? No...YOU deal with him....."

DALLAS SUCKS

-------------------------------------------------------------

Fine and Dandy?

T.O.'s tardiness puts team in a tough spot

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
                  Star-Telegram Staff Writer

(portions deleted, I went to the highlights)

According to a source, it wasn't the first time Owens had been fined by the Cowboys. He was fined in training camp for repeatedly being late to rehab, which ran from 6:30-8 a.m. Owens would routinely show up at 7:15 or 7:30, not understanding he had to be there at 6:30, a source said.

According to another source, it would be wrong to use these incidents as evidence of Owens not taking his rehab seriously. He has been at the Cowboys' facility nightly receiving treatment and has continued to work with his own trainers throughout the process, the source said.
                  There are questions about whether the Cowboys' handling of Owens is damaging Parcells' authority in the locker room. According to one veteran, Parcells has handled Owens gently because he doesn't know how Owens will react and because he doesn't want to turn the situation into a media circus.

.................................................. ..........

Parcells certainly has taken a different approach toward kicker Mike Vanderjagt, who has missed the last two preseason games with a groin injury. Vanderjagt's continued absence resulted in a rebuke from Parcells on Saturday.

But it would be wrong to assume everybody on the Cowboys has a full understanding of what Parcells is doing.

Asked if Owens was chastised for being late to the meeting and missing the rehab session, one player responded by saying, "By who?"

The contract Owens signed with the Cowboys does allow the team to move on with minimal future impact. Owens received a $5 million signing bonus and is slated to earn $5 million in base salary. If the Cowboys release Owens before the start of the season, they could save $5 million and possibly use that money to make a run at disgruntled Patriots receiver Deion Branch, who received permission from the Patriots to explore trade options. According to team sources, however, the Cowboys have no interest in Branch and plan to stay with the Owens experiment.
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”

Comment

And so the crap starts-- obviously some players are questioning and TO is already very defensive........ i love it.
                    //////////////////////////////////////////////////

T.O. on being tardy, fined: 'I overslept'

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Terrell Owens overslept. That's it.

FOX Bite
                    Videos

T.O. fine with fine
                    Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens talks about receiving a fine for being late to meetings and says any criticism towards him is unfair.

He insists he wasn't late for work Friday to send a messages to his bosses, test his boundaries or anything else his critics might think.
                    And, get this: He says it'll probably happen again, even if he was fined $9,500.

"I think everybody has overslept, you know, once or twice in their life," Owens said Monday, more amused than angry that a fuss is being made over something that's happened to him before, though not since he's joined the Cowboys.

"It's not a big deal," he said. "It was not something I purposely tried to do. It's something that I will try to make more of an effort, a better effort, to get here on time. Other than that, it's really not a big issue."

Jerry Jones agrees, pointing out that some of the most upstanding citizens in team history were fined for similar transgressions.

He also insisted it's a mistake to read more into Owens' tardiness, the fine and his lingering hamstring issue simply because of T.O.'s past.

"From my standpoint, it's all good," Jones said. "Apart from him not being on the field and getting repetitions, has it in any way affected relationships on this team, teammates on this team, relationships between me and Bill, me and the coaching staff, Terrell and Bill, Terrell and the coaching staff? Zero impact there."

Owens called his tardiness "very unfortunate" and apologized to his teammates. But, he added, "I've got to move on. I can't let this get me down."

His tender hamstring is taking care of that.

Owens missed his 20th workout of the preseason Monday and is unlikely to play Thursday night at home against Minnesota. The bigger question is whether he'll play the season opener in Jacksonville.

"I feel like I'm doing above and beyond things to get back on the field, whether a lot of people know that or not," he said. "I'm doing everything. Sometimes I come in here late at night just doing extra treatment, getting in the hot tub, cold tub. ... I think it's sometimes unfair that I'm getting all this criticism because I'm hurt."

Whether Owens plays in the opener will depend on when he starts practicing. If he never practices, he definitely won't play the opener - even if Jones has mentioned that Deion Sanders used to get away with it.

Parcells said he has to see what Owens can do. And he's not talking about watching highlights from the last 10 years, as Owens suggested last week.

"What if he got hurt or didn't perform, what would happen then?" Parcells said. "How would I know he is healthy if he didn't practice? How would I know?"

Jones said he lets Parcells decide who to play.

"That's an area I probably could influence, but, no, I have never influenced in my 17 years with the Cowboys as far as who goes in the game and who doesn't and what time they go into the game," Jones said.

Jones and Parcells declined to comment specifically about the fine, saying it's an internal matter. Jones went so far as to say he'd fire whoever leaked the news, "I don't care who it is."

Yet Parcells knew he'd be asked about it, especially when he walked in for his usual news conference and saw more reporters than normal. He sat down, smiled and said, "Is this the Cuban missile crisis today?"

"I know what you're all waiting for," Parcells said, "and it's going to be in vain."

Parcells said he's known since the day Owens signed that, as the coach, he'd have to deal with all sorts of additional headaches, legitimate or not. But he's not going to let "all those chatterboxes" change the way he runs his team.

"I'm going to do what I think is best for the Dallas Cowboys," he said. "Whatever opinion anyone else has is totally irrelevant to my line of thinking because they don't have all the facts, and I do. So I operate from a position of advantage. I consider the team itself, the coaching staff, what we're trying to do here. I consider things you people don't even think of."

Parcells also had a message to players who question what Owens may or may not be getting away with.

"Them players need to worry about themselves, their job and what they are doing, " he said. "There are some that have been with me that know. Then there are others, they are going to have to learn."

Just to clarify, Parcells said Owens "hasn't been a problem at all."

Still, it's clear that Parcells and Owens either have no relationship or a fragile one. Even T.O. admitted Monday, "I wouldn't say our relationship is where it needs to be."

"But I think it's a building process for the both of us," Owens said. "It's obviously a work in progress. At this point, there is no tension between us."

At this point.

Comment

amazing (not really)...it is never his fault. i really hope this is a slow and steady death...much more fun

Comment

FROM THE ARICLE POSTED BY MDFAN:

"Jones said he lets Parcells decide who to play.

"That's an area I probably could influence, but, no, I have never influenced in my 17 years with the Cowboys as far as who goes in the game and who doesn't and what time they go into the game," Jones said. "

As Jones was making this statement, reporters seated in the first 2 rows found it necessary to duck their heads to avoid being struck by Jerrruh's rapidly growing nose.

Comment

Actually very interesting, they're going way out of their way to express things with kid gloves. I half expect to read that they have a new age mystic on staff, and that they all chant "kum ba yah" after practice.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Really not an explanation, just overslept," Owens said. "I was late, you know, and those were the consequences of that. It was not something I purposely tried to do. It's something that I will try to make more of an effort, a better effort, to get here on time."

Owens said he is trying to do everything he can to return to practice and didn't view the fine as a big deal.

He said it wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for his past and his injury. Although Owens might not like the intense scrutiny, he said he understands.

"It's been different because I am who I am, so anything I do is going to attract any attention and you guys are going to blow it out of proportion," Owens said. "I get it. I know who I am. I know the attention that I get from the media. I know I'm under the microscope.

"To my teammates, I apologize. I've got to move on. I can't let this get me down."
                          — Michael Strahan

Comment

Notice how he doesn't apologize to Parcells or Jones?

That was intentional in my opinion. No "I apologize to my teammates and the organization." No "I apologize to Bill". Nothing.

And we all know that TO will exclude people from his apologies. Look no further than when he omitted Donovan last year.

And the Cowboys fans crack me up. They keep saying how the teammates doen't care.

Yeah, not yet. Wait until the media starts in on them like they have been doing to Parcells and like they did here. They asked every player about TO here.

Burn, Dallas. Burn!

Comment

Working...
                            X