My Off-Season Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Off-Season Plan

I have been formulating this plan for several weeks. Today I am sharing this, Howie hit me up on IM so we can discuss

The Overview
    Right now with cap roll over etc this team has around 9 million under the cap. There are some obvious moves to create some more dollars and they will create more. They do have a full compliment of draft picks for next year, they have a good young QB that could attract a WR or two. That all said they are not going to be able to fix everything in one offseason. When this all started last year I said that Chip Kelly set this team back 3 years and what I meant was three years before they could become viable again. I think Howie legitimately has shaven 1 year off of that. That means next season could very well be like this one, another 7 or 8 or 9 wins. We do hope that it starts to push in the right direction.

Where to start?
    Right now I look at both corner and wide receiver as the most pressing needs. I think both of those positions need to have a upper echelon player acquired wither by free agency or the draft. Then another few players at each position brought in for competition. Right behind those two and I mean right behind is OT/C and DE. Both positions need to be addressed. They could do both free agency and the draft for both. Then running back needs to be looked at.

Clearing cap room.
    Ryan Mathews (4 million), Leodis McKelvin (3.25) and Connor Barwin (7.75) should all be gone. Jason Peters needs to have his contract reworked as so as to bring down his cap number. Jason Kelce should be on the bubble. If they can acquire a center via the draft (and there are a couple of good mid round guys) then Kelce could be gone. Others probably should be gone but gaining 1.6 for letting Kendricks go really doesn't make sense if anything he is a good backup plan for Bradham cabana boy days, Nelson Agholor same thing.

Free Agency
    1. Stephon Gilmore - 6yrs 60 million - This is an obvious move. He is a big time upgrade at one corner, is young and knows Schwartz system.
    2. Robert Woods - 3yrs 20 million - Jackson will cost too much money, Woods is a solid reciever who helps with the solution on the outside.
    3. Ricky Wagner RT Balt - 4yr 30 million - Solid player who Joe Douglas knows. Moves Johnson to LT or maybe as trade bait.

There will be others signed but without a ton of money these are the two I would go for. Lets not forget there are some other players like Jordan Mathews who are going to need contracts.

The Draft

Round 1

Teez Tabor CB - Lets fix corner once and for all. Team him with Gilmore and this defense is top 5. Backup Pick Mike Williams WR (if he is there)

Round 2

Christian McCaferty RB - Yes he will be there and he is a great fit because he is more than just a runner, great in the WCO

Round 3

DeDe Westbrook WR - a DeSean Jackson type of playmaker, can track the ball well in the air

Round 4
    1. Tyler Orlosky C West Virgina - Some good centers in this draft

2. Vita Vea DT Washington - Solid run stuffing tackle

Round 5

Chris Godwin WR PSU - He will go lower than he should could be a very good find later in the draft.

Round 6 and 7 - Best O lineman and Best D lineman available

I think if they shop Barwin they will probably get top end a 4th round pick or maybe use him to trade up from say the 4th round to the 3rd round.

Overall this team just needs to fix some areas with true starters. They are starting to get some depth in some positions but they need to continue with that. I am sure others won't like this plan but two starting corners, a starting wide out, offensive lineman and some good young play making offensive players in guys like Westbrook and McCaferty.
    Last edited by taz; 01-01-2017, 06:04 PM.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I like the plan, and as usual am impressed by the thoughts put in by Taz. My one concern is with Gilmore. I have read that he has had a terrible year after being very good in the past. The thought is that Buffalo may franchise him to see more rather than offer him a long term contract. That obviously takes him off the market, but if he does hit the market, I would be concerned about the down year being a trend. We have had our issues with FA corners (Nnamdi and Maxwell), so concerned about Gilmore in that light.
    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

On Gilmore yeah I read that he is having a down year but if a down year means 5 interceptions 18 passes defended and 42 tackles, I will sign up for that. I mean that is 2 more interceptions than both of our starting corners combined. He knows Schwartz system and here is the big thing he has been a number 1 corner on his system. Unlike Maxwell.

Comment

The DT I think is from Washington and is probably going to be a Day 2 pick

I think u are right on with Dede Westbrook.

Not sure they sign a RT. I don't think they sign any OL in free agency. If Peters stays I'd draft for depth and roll with what you got.

Gilmore makes sense but that's a lot of cash.

They have to improve the pass rush too.

Don't they have New England's 4th rounder too for Eric Rowe?
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
          The DT I think is from Washington and is probably going to be a Day 2 pick

I think u are right on with Dede Westbrook.

Not sure they sign a RT. I don't think they sign any OL in free agency. If Peters stays I'd draft for depth and roll with what you got.

Gilmore makes sense but that's a lot of cash.

They have to improve the pass rush too.

Don't they have New England's 4th rounder too for Eric Rowe?
          Your right Vea is from Washington I changed that pick several times. I have him as a late 3rd early 4th round pick, so saying day 2 is probably close.

The extra 4th is not from New England its from the Wentz deal with Cleveland. Some are saying its a 5th, its was reported as a 4th an on the transactions on the Eagles website it says a 4th so that is what I am going with.

The Rowe pick is 2018 and could be a 3rd if Rowe plays more than 50% of the snaps next year which he should

Comment

I don't know how you can guys can watch Garcon and not want him on our team. He's no 1 on my WR FA list.
            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Can we get Larry Fitzgerald to teach out WRs how to play? (And not be a bitch?)

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                I don't know how you can guys can watch Garcon and not want him on our team. He's no 1 on my WR FA list.
                The questions with Garcon and really with Jackson is where will they be in two seasons when the Eagles should hit there stride as a perennial playoff (and hopefully eventual Super Bowl ) Team. At 31 both Jackson and Garcon could lose it quickly. If they are inexpensive signing sure go for it but they are not going to be inexpensive.

Comment

I don't know how anybody could watch that crap today and think that a couple of players might make this roster respectable. Dallas' second team was having their way with us. We didn't do anything until they put their shock troops in.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Too true, Popper. Carson and the crew had a decent second half, and of course the defense had fun blowing up the Sanchise, but when Dallas actually played like they gave a damned and had a few front line guys in, they were fully in control. Heck, Elliot didn't even take a snap, not really did Lee, I believe.

Fools gold, I am afraid. We are NOT close. TAZ has it right, this is not a one year fix. Could we possibly be an entry level playoff team with a few tweaks next year? Possibly. But the realiyy is, we are the worst team in our division. We earned that, it's real.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      I don't know how anybody could watch that crap today and think that a couple of players might make this roster respectable. Dallas' second team was having their way with us. We didn't do anything until they put their shock troops in.
                      A win is a win Popper and its not like we started world beaters. I mean Treggs Turner Marshall and Watson were all un-drafted free agents. 3 of which were on the practice squad this year.

Like I said this is still going to take some time but we should get better next year. We should be able to fix a few of the positions of need but we can't do them all. Every team has their weaknesses so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post

Fools gold, I am afraid. We are NOT close. TAZ has it right, this is not a one year fix. Could we possibly be an entry level playoff team with a few tweaks next year? Possibly. But the realiyy is, we are the worst team in our division. We earned that, it's real.
                        Unfortunately we earned the last place designation the minute we put Chip Kelly in charge of personnel. But being 7-9 and honestly losing several games at the end like we did, yes a few players and some luck (inviting Blandino over to Howies party bus?), I think we can be in the playoffs next year. But things are going to need to go well.

Comment

A few players can make a difference. As an example, Bryce Treggs caught 2 balls for 69 yards against the Vagiants in NY. In that game Wentz was 27 for 47 for 364. He threw 2 picks and we lost by 5, but Treggs took the top off and we saw the result. A stud receiver and corner, along with a solid back and some additional depth make this team a playoff team. From that point on, just keep building.
                          Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                          Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Fresh and 60 have the handle...... This was fools gold..... As was the first 3 games.

This team needs more talent, on the OL and WR on O and DB's on D.

RB and DL can be fixed fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Fresh and 60 have the handle...... This was fools gold..... As was the first 3 games.

This team needs more talent, on the OL and WR on O and DB's on D.

RB and DL can be fixed fairly easily.
                              Yes yes and yes. They can't do all of that this off season though. But I think I addressed CB, WR and OL in both free agency and the draft as well as RB. Now they are all not first level talent but they should add competition and make the team better. Super Bowl better not yet but they should be able to get into the Dance next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X