X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case against Peters (harsh)

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football...113-story.html
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I've been saying the same thing. Peters isn't the player he used to be. If the Eagles want to draft an OL with one of their top picks and move of from Peters I'd be totally fine with that.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

As have I, rspurr. I love what Peters has done for us, but he's long in the tooth at this point. Trying to build a young ascending team, you can't throwaway huge money on a tackle who is past his prime. If he will agree to a pay cut, then fine. Otherwise I think it may be time to cut ties.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
        As have I, rspurr. I love what Peters has done for us, but he's long in the tooth at this point. Trying to build a young ascending team, you can't throwaway huge money on a tackle who is past his prime. If he will agree to a pay cut, then fine. Otherwise I think it may be time to cut ties.
        Who's going to tell him?

Comment

I understand what you are saying, yes he should take a cut, but he didn't have stability on his right and until you have someone who is at least as good, it's tough to move on.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

If there is a good RT option available in Round 1 then cut him the day after the draft and move on. I am no fan of JP. He is good to very good but he is also clearly a mercenary and not a team guy. Never really had been. So if a business decision is made I am fine with it.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

You don't build a team for the future with a 35 yo lineman.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

but is Vaitai gonna come in and do as well ?
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

[QUOTE=musicman;300523]but is Vaitai gonna come in and do as well ?[/QUOTE

I think it all depends on if we sign a FA worth anything or get someone in the draft they feel comfortable letting step into a big role. After the Redskins game, Vaitai seemed to perform at least decent.

Comment

I understand the logic of letting Peters go, but it makes me nervous. They have a young, franchise QB to protect. They've done an outstanding job of letting declining players walk at the right time, and a terrible job of replacing them. Peters is still a good player. The one thing I don't want to see is a drop off. If they are going to let him walk, they better have a solid plan in place in order to prevent any drop off in the quality of the line play. Period. They let guys like Dawk and Trot walk, and we saw how that turned out. I sure as hell don't want to see that kind of clusterfuck on the O-line with Wentz.

Comment

IMO you ask him to take a cut, but you CAN'T get rid of him till you have a plan in place and you better hope you don't have any injuries because you just lost one of your backups. People want Kelce replaced too, well now you have 5 guys and nothing else. If you do lose Kelce and Peters you better hit a pair of grand slams in the draft and FA. This team has needed at least 2 reserve lineman in the past 2 seasons. I'm ok with letting them go, but going young is only the answer if the young guys are players equal to or better than what they are replacing. Peters and Kelce are possibly better players IF you find WRs who can get open right off the snap. It kills me to think of what the Dallas WR did to Carroll in the last game of the season . He broke his ankles off the snap and was open by 5 yds on a 3-5 yard td. Wentz can scramble for 20 seconds and needs to throw through a 1' x 1' window for a completion

Comment

There are always ways around the cap. The one guy who should cooperate I feel is Johnson. He owes the franchise a season. Maybe Peters at least restructures. There are always ways to get around the cap, it's really just how good the Eagles think that Peters is. If
                        Peters is approached right and Lurie gets involved it will probably work because everybody in Philly wants him to retire as an Eagle. If they totally fuck things up like they did with Dawkins then he'll probably leave. Remember Dawkins basically left for the same money but Reid and Banner never really showed an interest in keeping him and basically wanted him to retire or move on because they were
                        fucking stupid, especially the fucking Weasel. Dawkins said they he felt unwanted when he left and ignored Reid when he came back for his Eagle HOF speech and I still hate Andy for that. I just hope they don't make the same mistake with Peters. I think that he can be approach in the right way and move him to guard.

Comment

Working...
                        X