Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are teams going to look at the combine in a different way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are teams going to look at the combine in a different way?

Sources: Broncos, Rams cutting scouting combine attendance
    Feb
    2/14/2020 4:04:25 PM
    |More
    In what could portend the wave of the future, the Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to the scouting combine in Indianapolis this year because they believe they will make better use of their time by watching film in Denver, league sources told Adam Schefter of ESPN on Friday.

Additionally, the Rams are not sending their offensive and defensive coordinators, Kevin O'Connell and Brandon Staley, to the combine because they would rather have them in Los Angeles implementing the team's new offensive and defensive schemes, sources said.

In a copycat league, the Broncos and Rams could be establishing a trend that other teams will follow, leaving coaches behind to watch the combine on television and do their own scouting work in the office.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

In my mind the only thing I would really want to do at the combine is interview guys. Yeah the measureables mean something but it isn't much and you can get those measureables from the league. I'd have a guy or two there to glad hand and talk with league people in order to keep up with what is going on and to be seen but I wouldn't spend money to send a task force. So, a couple guys to work the combine and a couple to interview the guys I am interested in would be my contingent
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

IMM, the Combine is just a waste---- you see one day.... guy could have a bad day a good day -- have an out of body experience that day---- seems to me that watching film of the same guy for 30 college games would show more about the talents---- now the cerebral/personality/habits are better done on one on one sessions.

Comment

the only thing the combine does is get all those kids in one place. The one on one interviews are the most important part. Also a bunch of wanna be , stay at home GMs get to make the NFL Networks advertisers happy.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I'd venture a guess that the interview is more central to evaluation than the other portions of the combine. The measurements may come in second, as those may confirm/refute estimates and the info put out by the schools.

Comment

It sounds to me that they could just send Manuel out to the combine, he's very thorough.

"Marquand Manuel identified as coach who asked prospect if he liked men, issues apology"
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

New drills coming to the Combine. New RB drill named after Duce Staley.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...outing-combine

Running backs

NEW: Duce Staley drill; Inside routes with change of direction added to routes run
              Duce Staley drill: Named after the former Eagles running back and current assistant coach, the drill will involve a running back lining up behind a horizontal step-over bag that is part of three bags laid to form a cross. The running back will step over the bag in front of him, then laterally over the perpendicular bag, then backward over the other horizontal bag before repeating the path in the opposite direction. Coaches lined up eight yards away holding pop-up dummies will move in coordinated fashion, creating a hole for the running back to identify before exploding through it. The drill is designed to display a running back's ability to use his eyes while navigating physical obstacles as a ballcarrier might perform while running an inside zone play, which doesn't create a defined target for the running back, but instead the possibility for a number of options to run through.

Inside routes with change of direction: As angle (or Texas) routes become more common in the passing game with running backs used as receivers increasingly often, this drill will measure a running back's ability to run such a route and catch a pass successfully while fighting against his own momentum.
              ELIMINATED: Pitch and cone drill, find the ball drill

Comment

Working...
              X