• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in America

Ex-Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE, examiners conclude
    A.J. Perez, USA TODAY Sports Published 4:23 p.m. ET Sept. 21, 2017

The rise and fall of Aaron Hernandez

A look back on the talented player's NFL start and the series of events that ultimately resulted in his death. USA TODAY Sports

Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez suffered from a severe form of the debilitating brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), Boston University researchers announced on Thursday.

An examination performed by Ann McKee, director of Boston University’s CTE Center, showed that Hernandez’s brain had Stage 3 CTE. Stage 4 is the most severe.

The examination of Hernandez’s brain showed “early brain atrophy and large perforations in the septum pellucidum, a central membrane,” the center announced in a release.

Boston University’s CTE Center published an updated study in July that showed 110 of 111 former NFL players showed signs of CTE in postmortem examinations of their brains.

Jose Baez, a lawyer for Hernandez, said researchers determined the CTE was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age (27)." A lawsuit was filed in federal court in Boston on Thursday seeking $20 million on behalf of Hernandez's daughter, claiming that the team and NFL deprived Avielle Hernandez of the companionship of her father.

Hernandez, who was convicted in 2015 of the murder of former semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd two years prior, was found hanged in April in his jail cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass.

He died soon after in a nearby hospital. The Massachusetts chief medical examiner, Dr. Henry N. Nields, concluded the “manner of death was suicide and the cause asphyxia by hanging,” according a news release.

CTE, which can only be diagnosed in an autopsy, has been linked with repeated concussions and involves brain damage particularly in the frontal region that controls many functions including judgment, emotion, impulse control, social behavior and memory.

“We are grateful to the family of Aaron Hernandez for donating his brain to the VA-BU-CLF brain bank,” the Boston University CTE Center said in a statement.

In three seasons with the Patriots, Hernandez joined Rob Gronkowski to form one of the most potent tight end duos in NFL history. In 2011, his second season, Hernandez caught 79 passes for 910 yards and seven touchdowns to help the team reach the Super Bowl, and he was rewarded with a $40 million contract.

But the Patriots released him in 2013, shortly after he was arrested in the killing of Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee. Hernandez was convicted and sentenced to life in prison; the conviction was voided because he died before his appeals were exhausted, though that decision is itself being appealed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

PHOTOS: Aaron Hernandez through the years
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I read it thinking that it was an excuse or an explanation of his behavior. Nope. Just a basis for a lawsuit. Asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
      I read it thinking that it was an excuse or an explanation of his behavior. Nope. Just a basis for a lawsuit. Asshole.
      $20 million. They said that his brain was the worst they have ever examined. What would you expect a sociopath's brain to look like?

Comment

He was troubled kid. He was a troubled adolescent. He was a troubled man. There is nothing anyone else did to cause him to kill Lloyd. They are claiming the NFL "deprived" the daughter of her Dad? He and he alone killed that guy! He and he alone "deprived" her of her Dad! He was a piece of shit who deserved to spend his life in jail. He choose to end it. Maybe his suicide was a result of the hits he took as a player. But any rational thinking person will also understand that he may have been unable to live with the guilt of murdering another person or maybe just hated life in jail more than he wanted them see his daughter.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for him at all. He's dead and she deserves nothing.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk, if there's one thing I'd bet a lot of my own money on it's that guilt didn't motivate Hernandez' suicide. Guilt is an annoyance unfamiliar to sociopaths. Life in prison without chance of parole is a very tough pill when you've walked for years in celebrity clothes.

And as to CTE contributing to the killings he perpetrated while a Patriot, this POS was shooting people (non fatal) as a Freshman at the U o Florida before he ever played a game. Urb intervened. Witnesses withdrew testimony (I'm sure no money changed hands) and Urb assured authorities in Gainseville that, by praying with him, he would heal this troubled young man who had lost his father.

Maybe Praying the Impulse to Murder Away is no more effective than Praying the Gay Away.

I can summon up some genuine sympathy for any child who loses a
          parent...but 8 figures worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            $20 million. They said that his brain was the worst they have ever examined. What would you expect a sociopath's brain to look like?
            This keeps getting misquoted. His lawyers keep saying that it's the worst case of CTE they have ever examined *IN SOMEONE HIS AGE*.

I am baffled why no one is calling this out. He was 27! How many people "his age" have died and had their brains examined for CTE??????!!!!!! He may be the only f-ing one *his age* to have been checked for CTE.

Comment

Also, this morning the news was saying they are also considering a lawsuit against his college AND the NCAA. Are you freaking kidding me?

Comment

Cast a wide net and hope for a settlement. These are the bloodsuckers of socket.

Comment

For starters the POS girlfriend who tried to cover up the murder should be behind bars (what a world). Now she wants millions. For the life of me I just don't get it.

Comment

Hernandez killing himself was a blessing to society. The more I learn about him, i see a scumbag getting numerous breaks because he had talent in football. If anyone should be sued, it's the POS Urban Meyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      Hernandez killing himself was a blessing to society. The more I learn about him, i see a scumbag getting numerous breaks because he had talent in football. If anyone should be sued, it's the POS Urban Meyer and castrated...without anesthesia.

Fixed!

Comment

Working...
                      X