X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope we don't go wr Rd 1

Philadelphia Eagles: Now what?

April 18, 2014 by Greg Guidone

philadelphia eaglesWith Desean Jackson now out of the picture, the Philadelphia Eagles are now faced with a decision. The team re-signed wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper at the beginning of the 2014 free agency period. With that being said, many still believe that there is a huge void on offense, especially at the wide receiver position. Is this true? Not necessarily. If there is one thing that we know, it’s that Chip Kelly can make due with any offensive personnel. Last season he turned Nick Foles into a Pro-Bowl quarterback without arguably the team’s best receiver in Jeremy Maclin. In year two of the “Chip Kelly Era”, we should expect nothing but better results from the coach who decided to cut Pro-Bowl wideout Desean Jackson for undisclosed reasons. This brings me back to my initial statement. The Eagles have a big decision to make. With the majority of quality receivers now off the market, should the Eagles draft a receiver in the first round of the draft, or take a chance on someone later on? I would say that the team is just fine without Jackson and a first-round receiver.

On the current roster, there is one new name on the offensive side of the ball that is poised to make a significant contribution in this Eagles’ offense. That name is Darren Sproles, a small player who makes a huge impact every time he gets the ball. Last season in 15 games with the Saints, Sproles totaled 71 receptions for 604 yards and 2 touchdowns. That averages out to 4.7 receptions and 40 receiving yards per game. Granted, these are not Desean Jackson numbers. Heck these are not even close to Jackson’s 82 receptions for 1332 yards and 9 touchdowns, so we cannot say that Sproles will replace Jackson. We can, however be optimistic about a guy like Sproles in Chip Kelly’s offense. Sproles can break the game open at any moment and can very well open up the offense for Lesean McCoy and the rest of the receiving corps. His abilities and position make for an instant mismatch on linebackers. In New Orleans, Sproles was a huge part of the Saints’ success. He provided a boost on offense while serving as a weapon in the kick and punt return game. The Eagles got a great deal on Sporles, and I believe he will make an immediate impact in every aspect of the Eagles offense and special teams.

Darren Sproles may very well replace some of the production that will be absent after Desean Jackson’s departure, however there is some buzz about the Eagles bringing in a first-round talent at the position. According to Ross Jones of Fox Sports, the Eagles are very interested in USC wideout Marquise Lee. The team has met with Lee twice and is set to have another meeting with the Eagles sometime in the middle of April. Jones also reported that the Eagles have met with almost every top wide receiver prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. Adding a guy like Marquise Lee could take the Eagles offense to the next level, at the same time it could prevent them from getting better on defense. Safety is a position that has been a question mark in the Eagles’ secondary since the days of Brian Dawkins. Prospects such as Calvin Pryor, Jimmy Ward, and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix could make an immediate impact at safety if the Eagles were to pass up a wide receiver.

Only those inside the NovaCare Complex on a daily basis know the true motives of the Eagles when it comes to the draft and future plans. The NFL Draft begins on May 8th and ends on May 10th. On May 11th, the Eagles will either be better or worse off without Jackson. Until then, let the speculation and criticism rage on, for this is just another typical offseason in Philly.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If they take Lee in the 1st round I'll be extremely pissed. He's 5'-11" (1" taller than DJax) with a history of knee injuries. Cutting Jackson and taking his clone in the first round is a waste on many levels. If they go WR it has to be for a big guy who can brng a different skill set otherwise we may as well just give away our first rounder. Benjamin or Evans would be worth it otherwise it's a waste.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Hole where no hole existed before!

WR has to be on the list now.... where it didn't need to be before.

Comment

Yup. If losing Djax is no big loss, why change the whole draft strategy? We needed to strengthen the defense, and we still do.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          Yup. If losing Djax is no big loss, why change the whole draft strategy? We needed to strengthen the defense, and we still do.
          all I have heard from Howie and gang is BPA concerning draft strategy, IMO that hasn't changed.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            all I have heard from Howie and gang is BPA concerning draft strategy, IMO that hasn't changed.
            O, I totally agree. If it's a wr, so be it! For some reason I'm just not wild about this Lee kid. I guess that he dropped a lot of balls at USC. That drives me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post

You know that's all relative, mm. If the BPA is a RB, but there is an OLB rated simlarly, you are taking the OLB. This whole BPA thing is a bunch of hoo-ha. The important thing is just not to R E A CH for need.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

You know that's all relative, mm. If the BPA is a RB, but there is an OLB rated simlarly, you are taking the OLB. This whole BPA thing is a bunch of hoo-ha. The important thing is just not to R E A CH for need.
                I agree Fresh, and I also think that there is no need to reach because we have no gaping wholes right now. We're just looking to improve.

Comment

Perhaps not gaping holes, but I have a hard time identifying any real strengths beyond RB. LOTS of places for us to get stronger if we are to compete.

Comment

Perhaps not gaping holes, but I have a hard time identifying any real strengths beyond RB. LOTS of places for us to get stronger if we are to compete.
                    I think we're decent. I'd be real surprised if any rookies start, but if any do it's because they're homeruns. We need our second year guys to really step up.

Comment

I wouldn't consider WR a hole. We are replacing Avant and Jackson with Maclin and Sproles. It's going to be different; worse in some ways and better in others. It remains to be seen if the overall result is better or worse.

I also suspect we were going to be drafting a WR regardless. Maybe even two. Too much talent available not to, probably. We had Maehle and Damaris Johnson on the roster as WRs last year so there would be plenty of room for rookies to make the team, and there is no guarantee of keeping Maclin beyond this coming year. I just wasn't expecting it to be first round, which it now could be if things shake out that way. I'd rather go defense, but if a stud drops down, it could make sense.

Comment

I would take Allen Robinson over any receiver not named Watkins or Evans in this draft. The best thing about Robinson is he had 97 catches last year from a true freshman QB in an offense that was similar to Chip Kelly's. I would not be surprised if they get Robinson, they have checked him out.

Now with that said I wouldn't take him at 22, I would rather take a LB or S then trade up in round 2 to snag Robinson.
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                          I wouldn't consider WR a hole. We are replacing Avant and Jackson with Maclin and Sproles. It's going to be different; worse in some ways and better in others. It remains to be seen if the overall result is better or worse.

I also suspect we were going to be drafting a WR regardless. Maybe even two. Too much talent available not to, probably. We had Maehle and Damaris Johnson on the roster as WRs last year so there would be plenty of room for rookies to make the team, and there is no guarantee of keeping Maclin beyond this coming year. I just wasn't expecting it to be first round, which it now could be if things shake out that way. I'd rather go defense, but if a stud drops down, it could make sense.
                          I think Johnson is a lot better receiver than he showed last year. He could be a real pleasant surprise for us this year.

Comment

Sorry if I'm not quite on the band wagon here. IMM, I'm hearing a lot of hopeful justifications/rationalizations for stuff.

We didn't just trade Avant and Jackson for Maclin and Sproles. While that is a difference from last year, it isn't what happened.

We had Jackson, Maclin and Sproles, this year. Now we have Maclin and Sproles.
                            (Most of what I have read seems to indicate that they aren't going to use Sproles "primarily" as a WR. , but that doesn't even matter for this comparison)

The point is, from my view, is that they now have less talent on the team then they did.... you just don't take away a talent as good as Jackson and say everything stayed the same.

Disclaimer #21643-- This may have been the plan all along I dunno. This may turn out great, I dunno. This is something they had to do, I dunno (never convince me that the timing was all it should have been).

But what I do know is that this team right now, has less talent on it then they did with DJ. Now if Chip has a plan great, if he goes WR at rd 1 or 2 great.

But the majority of Eagle fans thought this was going to be a DDDDDDD draft... the D needed to get better. In February nobody was thinking about WR in the draft, it was all D.

It might all be fine--- but IMM at least they created a hole where none existed and that changes how they have to approach this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Sorry if I'm not quite on the band wagon here. IMM, I'm hearing a lot of hopeful justifications/rationalizations for stuff.

We didn't just trade Avant and Jackson for Maclin and Sproles. While that is a difference from last year, it isn't what happened.

We had Jackson, Maclin and Sproles, this year. Now we have Maclin and Sproles.
                              (Most of what I have read seems to indicate that they aren't going to use Sproles "primarily" as a WR. , but that doesn't even matter for this comparison)

The point is, from my view, is that they now have less talent on the team then they did.... you just don't take away a talent as good as Jackson and say everything stayed the same.

Disclaimer #21643-- This may have been the plan all along I dunno. This may turn out great, I dunno. This is something they had to do, I dunno (never convince me that the timing was all it should have been).

But what I do know is that this team right now, has less talent on it then they did with DJ. Now if Chip has a plan great, if he goes WR at rd 1 or 2 great.

But the majority of Eagle fans thought this was going to be a DDDDDDD draft... the D needed to get better. In February nobody was thinking about WR in the draft, it was all D.

It might all be fine--- but IMM at least they created a hole where none existed and that changes how they have to approach this draft.

I'm not quite sure how Jackson leaving changes the draft. Of course you are right that the team lost talent, but they are certainly adequate at wr. The hated Patriots seem to do it a different way every year. Jackson leaving doesn't change the fact that we need D help or any other position for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X