LJ Smith Franchised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LJ Smith Franchised...

stevemc predicted this, and it is a good business decision. But, if he escaped, I don't think we would be hurt that much.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
      stevemc predicted this, and it is a good business decision. But, if he escaped, I don't think we would be hurt that much.
      Did you watch this season?
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg

And what. ...you're expecting more production from him next season?

Nah...he'll tweak his pinky finger. And his sweetie Lito will be in the tub with him again.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I expected this move and like it. No point in getting rid of him and adding another position that we need to fill.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH

Nah...he'll tweak his pinky finger. And his sweetie Lito will be in the tub with him again.
            I don't get this whole injury prone thing...? Before this year he only missed 2-3 games in 5 seasons. Sure he's been banged up, but he still played at a high level and what NFL player isn't banged up?

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH

I don't get this whole injury prone thing...? Before this year he only missed 2-3 games in 5 seasons. Sure he's been banged up, but he still played at a high level and what NFL player isn't banged up?
              I don't understand the injury thing either. With the exception of this past season he's been pretty reliable.

It's just like the whole fumbling myth. The guy doesn't fumble much at all.
              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

It's not just the missed games. In my eyes it seems like he is eternally listed on the injury report with some sort of condition. Sure it is is football and everybody gets banged up but he is listed every freekin week while many others aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I would like LJ on this team but I don't know if the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf
                  It's not just the missed games. In my eyes it seems like he is eternally listed on the injury report with some sort of condition. Sure it is is football and everybody gets banged up but he is listed every freekin week while many others aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I would like LJ on this team but I don't know if the price is right.

Wait to you see what Clark gets. Sad thing is that his stats look just about identical to LJ's except one 11 TD season.
                  FRESH > cancer

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                    Originally posted by Vet Turf

Wait to you see what Clark gets. Sad thing is that his stats look just about identical to LJ's except one 11 TD season.
                    LJ > Clark

Clark has just received more consistent QB play. Not to mention he had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to take some heat off him.

Comment

I like the move and like LJ. He is a top 10 TE and is one of McNabb's favorite targets. His contract demands are the probable reason the Eagles have not signed him long term; they offered in 2005 according to reports, but LJ countered and the negotiations continued until last season when it appeared the two sides were too far apart. As others have mentioned, his health has not forced him to miss too many games before last season. Hopefully, he can come in and stay healthy again next season.

I think this is mostly a recognition the Eagles are not going to be able to find a significantly better TE this off-season and a reinforcement that McNabb will be the QB. Clark most likely will be tagged or signed long term by the Colts and there are not any better TE than LJ available in FA. The draft has some good potential, but we drafted a TE last year (Celek) and probably will not invest a high pick at that position. Could they trade for a better TE? I am sure they checked this out and are either tagging LJ just in case or found out the price for those trades was prohibitive. A trade could happen further down the road if prices drop etc., but at least they have a legit starter in hand.

We'll see if LJ signs the tender or decides to make some noise. He could be the top TE on the FA market and could cash in. Some here think his value is little, but I would bet a high amount of $$ some team would sign LJ in a heartbeat if available. I do not see LJ making a fuss; it is not his nature even though the Eagles have let 2 tagged players go in Trot and Simon. I see him playing here next season well and then becoming a FA.
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I don't see any problem here at all----As long as the Eagles don't fold up again.

1. It solves an upgrade to a spot from 2007 - T/E.
                        2. It helps #5 as LJ has always been a nice check down/go to guy for #5.
                        3. If he has a good year and looks to be back, there is always long term.
                        4. If he doesn't produce like he is on a contract year -- they can cut him..
                        5. The salary isn't out of line compared to what a 5 year deal would have cost this year, in terms of SB and front end money.
                        6. It allows the FO to concentrate on the other "need" areas.

Comment

Lj's missed games do not add up to the amount of time he's been injured and performing sub-par much as with Lito. The guy may dress, but if he can't handle being dinged up and still perform, he's just taking up space.

Now, if BOTH those guys stay healthy, and I mean healthy enough to perform at the high levels they are capable of, we are a much better team. I'm just not holding my breath on that, not much more than I am holding out hope of Donovan cruising thru a season intact.
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Didn't Buddy Ryan say "durability is as important as ability"?

I tell you, is it me or do Eagles fans have to spend too much time basing our hopes on "well, if only they can stay healthy...if only they can stay healthy..."
                            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Yes, I did watch this season. Evidently, you didn't. In 10 games, Smith had 22 receptions and scored 1 touchdown. We can't find anyone else who can produce at that same level?
                              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Just my two cents on a couple of points....

Yes while he may have played "some" plays in ten games -- I think we could all agree that the injuries that he had ----- limited his ability and really isn't a reflection of what he adds to the O on this team. And I'm not sure of exactly what his injury past has been, but it doesn't seem to me that he has missed that much time in previous years.

I don't think anybody will stand on those 10 games as "proof" that LJ should not be our TE this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X