"The Catch" would be meaningless in today's NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Catch" would be meaningless in today's NFL

Last night i watched NFL's Greatest Games on ESPN, and they featured the 81 NFCCG between Dallas and San Fran. You know, Montana to Clark, the CATCH, 49'ers go on to become a dynasty, etc.

Few people remember that THE CATCH was made w/ 51 seconds left on the clock. On the ensuing kickoff, Dallas returned the ball to their 25 yard line. The very first play, Danny White throws a 30 yard completion to Drew Pearson who is tackled at the 49er 45 yard line. On the play, Eric Wright grabs Pearson by the back of the shoulder pads, a classic 'horse-collar' tackle. In today's NFL, the Niners are penalized 15 yards, giving the Cowboys the ball on the 49er 30 yard line w/ a stopped clock and 2 timeouts and 40-something seconds left. I'm sure they run Dorsett a few times and inch closer and likely win the game on a Septien FG.

Also, few remember that Montana threw THREE interceptions in that ballgame. Had they lost, i'm sure Montana would have shouldered a fair share of blame. Additionally, Bill Walsh called a timeout after a running play right before THE CATCH, which in essence, left Dallas enough time for a game-winning drive. Better clock management by Walsh would have been to let the clock run down since it was 3rd down.

So had the Niners lost because of the horse-collar, Montana would have taken flak for throwing 3 picks in the biggest game of his career to date, and Coaching Genius Bill Walsh would have been second guessed on his clock management.

Sound familiar??? :P

You need to get another hobby

Comment

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

lol, come on! This is fascinating stuff! :P

Comment

Swing, your whole premise is based on a penalty being called that at the time WASN'T a penalty. Maybe if horsecallars were illegal then, he wouldn't have tackled him that way...not that they even make the call consistantly now anyway.

Merry Xmas, bud.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I'm just pointing out that it's a fine line between legends and goats in the NFL.

Comment

And there's af ine line between asses and twangs.....taints, I think they call em.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                Swing, your whole premise is based on a penalty being called that at the time WASN'T a penalty. Maybe if horsecallars were illegal then, he wouldn't have tackled him that way...not that they even make the call consistantly now anyway.

Merry Xmas, bud.
                I thought of that Freshie - Pearson had a clear path to the end zone, as Ronnie Lott and another DB had run into each other and were down on the ground. Wright had no other option than to grab the back of the shoulder pads. If he doesn't, Pearson breaks away and scores a TD. Like i said, he had a clear path to the end zone. Both results give the Cowboys the win.

Merry Christmas to you too bro!

Comment

And there's af ine line between asses and twangs.....taints, I think they call em.
                  Correct! :P

Althought from now on, please refer to asses as 'balloon knots'.

Comment

LOL too funny, I'd forgotten that Montana threw 3 picks (??? WTF) but Pearson did have a clear shot to that endzone all right, I remember that! Lucky for SF the horse collar tackle usually doesn't get called in today's NFL anyway.
                    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan
                      LOL too funny, I'd forgotten that Montana threw 3 picks (??? WTF) but Pearson did have a clear shot to that endzone all right, I remember that! Lucky for SF the horse collar tackle usually doesn't get called in today's NFL anyway.
                      2 picks by Everson Walls on just poorly thrown balls. 1 pick was a ball that went off the hands of his receiver and dropped into The Manster, Randy White's lap.

Comment

Yes, but that would have left 40 seconds for Montana to engineer an even greater drive, right?

Comment

And if you applied all the rule changes and how the rules are enforaced for today on a game from 25 years ago -- not only would thatplay be different but the whole damn game would have been different.

But your idea of----

" Also, few remember that Montana threw THREE interceptions in that ballgame. Had they lost, i'm sure Montana would have shouldered a fair share of blame. Additionally, Bill Walsh called a timeout after a running play right before THE CATCH, which in essence, left Dallas enough time for a game-winning drive. Better clock management by Walsh would have been to let the clock run down since it was 3rd down.

So had the Niners lost because of the horse-collar, Montana would have taken flak for throwing 3 picks in the biggest game of his career to date, and Coaching Genius Bill Walsh would have been second guessed on his clock management. "

is certainly interesting and still relevant today. It's a fine line sometimes and winning hides most of those flaws and losing just highlights them.

Comment

Well, now that your here, and feel free to say no, but could you shave my coin purse?
                            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
                            X