No announcement yet.

Eagles sign Michael Vick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how in both press conferences ( Reid and McNabb) they both mentioned how Vick is a QUARTERBACK

Really? Don't they realize he makes McNabb look like an accurate passer.

They still didn't answer why the felt they needed to sign him, as Didinger said, what do they think their team is missing that Vick would fill. As McNabb said, he's not a Utility player, so why is he here?

Comment

I believe that criminals who have paid their debt to society should be allowed back into society. But that doesn't mean I have to root for them or support them. Honestly, I can see supporting someone like Myers or Brashear who did despicable things, but did those things once, or while not able to exercise their best judgment. Vick is different.

Vick was the head of a long-operating criminal enterprise that took innocent, defenseless creatures and exploited and tortured them. He has admitted electrocuting dogs, killing them with his bare hands, and personally drowning them because they lost dogfights. I don't know how any person who could take a dog in his hands and break its neck can ever be rehabilitated--he allegedly enjoyed killing the dogs, and asked others to allow him to do it. What kind of sociopath does that? And he profited from this operation, and allowed other people who were equally sociopathic into his group of associates. Are we expected to believe that somehow his moral compass has now been reset? It's not so much the crime he committed, but what committing that particular crime says about the person who did it. And in terms of remorse, he's only sorry he got caught. Has anyone heard him give any coherent, heartfelt explanation of why what he did was wrong and abhorrent?

Let him back into society, but lets not put him in a position where he is positively portrayed in the public eye--NFL owners should have just said no. Especially the Eagles. To me its like the Eagles signed Michael Corleone, or Charles Manson.

And, quite honestly, he stinks as a quarterback. Even back in his heyday, profootballinsiders reported that he picked the "correct" receiver on patterns about 30% of the time, 20% lower than the second lowest rated quarterback in the league, and his completion rate for open receivers was the lowest in the league. His only asset was his running ability. He was especially horrid in Jim Mora's West Coast offense. I don't see how this is even a good football move.

Comment

I have to admit I’m a little stunned at how negative the overall reaction is to this. I’ve got mixed feelings on both a personal level and a football level, but the amount of rage that still surrounds Vick at this point amazes me.

I didn’t like Michael Vick in his Atlanta days, as a person or a player. Even before the dogfighting news came out, he seemed like a guy who associated with a bad crowd and assumed he could get away with whatever he pleased because of his talent on the football field. When the news about the dogfighting ring was released, my first reaction was “it figures.” It didn’t really surprise me that a man who seemed so callous towards people would also be cruel to animals. I was in favor of his jail sentence and his suspension from the league.

Here’s the thing, though – I believe in second chances, and more importantly, I believe that people have the capacity to change. Michael Vick’s talent wasn’t enough to keep him out of jail. He’s served time and lost millions upon millions of dollars for what he did, and seems to be genuinely remorseful. I disagree with much of what Tony Dungy stands for, but the fact that he has met with Vick and vouches for him means a lot to me. Maybe I’m being naïve, but I’m willing to give him a shot to prove that he has learned from what he’s been through. I don’t necessarily identify as a Christian, but it seems to me that giving a man the chance to atone for what he’s done is the Christian thing to do.

I could go into a lot more about this, but it’s late (even on the West Coast) and I’ve said my piece for the moment. I’m not going to make any grand pronouncements about fandom like VFK. I just hope that everyone won’t write the Eagles off completely for giving Vick a chance to redeem himself.
        The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

What a suck a$$ move. Now all they need is a Banner press conference to defend the move to make it complete. I cannot believe the Eagles signed such a turd. My coworkers are lining up right now to give me $hit about it. I really don't like Vick, and I really don't like this move.

Comment

It is complete crap to call out anyone for not being a "true fan" when they feel that the organization made a mistake that is beyond x's and o's. This is a character issue.

This has nothing to do with second chances. Lest you forget, football is entertainment. Entertainment is based upon what the viewers want not some right to work after jail time. I personally feel that this was a big mistake by the eagles and I am not some lone lunatic voice. He was a lousy qb and Vick has questionable ethics/morality (whatever) are two things that cannot be disputed no matter where you stand on the issue.

I thought that Andy and Jeff held themselves to a higher standard.

Comment

VT--what I said was if the signing of one player negates 50 years of diehard fandom and love for the Eagles, then that does not make sense to me and seems like a rash decision.

We have no idea how the Eagles are going to use him on the field and hopefully we will hear today from Vick on what he has learned, how he has grown and how he wants to redeem himself for what he has done.
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

What I hope to get out of the press conference today is if someone can explain how:

The Negative media attention < The potential for 5-8 plays a game

Comment

Man oh man.......at the risk of restarting a big pissing contest from a couple of months ago.........

Michael Vick is now an Eagle, and Brian Freaking Dawkins is gone because the Eagles didn't think he was worth $4M more guaranteed? Man oh man, you have just got to be kidding me. What planet is this again?

Just from that, I can't believe that principle was playing as big a role as they've said. Part of it, yes, but not most of it. Because those two decisions, just don't jibe in my mind...........I mean, WTF?
                  Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM.
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

If someone would have told you in January that Pedro would be a Phillie and Vick would be an Eagle - you probably would have told them to get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by phillychuck View Post
                      i believe that criminals who have paid their debt to society should be allowed back into society. But that doesn't mean i have to root for them or support them. Honestly, i can see supporting someone like myers or brashear who did despicable things, but did those things once, or while not able to exercise their best judgment. Vick is different.

Vick was the head of a long-operating criminal enterprise that took innocent, defenseless creatures and exploited and tortured them. He has admitted electrocuting dogs, killing them with his bare hands, and personally drowning them because they lost dogfights. I don't know how any person who could take a dog in his hands and break its neck can ever be rehabilitated--he allegedly enjoyed killing the dogs, and asked others to allow him to do it. What kind of sociopath does that? And he profited from this operation, and allowed other people who were equally sociopathic into his group of associates. Are we expected to believe that somehow his moral compass has now been reset? It's not so much the crime he committed, but what committing that particular crime says about the person who did it. And in terms of remorse, he's only sorry he got caught. Has anyone heard him give any coherent, heartfelt explanation of why what he did was wrong and abhorrent?

Let him back into society, but lets not put him in a position where he is positively portrayed in the public eye--nfl owners should have just said no. Especially the eagles. To me its like the eagles signed michael corleone, or charles manson.
                      qft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I believe that criminals who have paid their debt to society should be allowed back into society. But that doesn't mean I have to root for them or support them. Honestly, I can see supporting someone like Myers or Brashear who did despicable things, but did those things once, or while not able to exercise their best judgment. Vick is different.

Let him back into society, but lets not put him in a position where he is positively portrayed in the public eye--NFL owners should have just said no. Especially the Eagles. To me its like the Eagles signed Michael Corleone, or Charles Manson.

And, quite honestly, he stinks as a quarterback. Even back in his heyday, profootballinsiders reported that he picked the "correct" receiver on patterns about 30% of the time, 20% lower than the second lowest rated quarterback in the league, and his completion rate for open receivers was the lowest in the league. His only asset was his running ability. He was especially horrid in Jim Mora's West Coast offense. I don't see how this is even a good football move.

He's not going to be a QB. He's going to run the Wildcat.

Charles Manson or Michael Corleone? That's rich.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Agree with phillychuck's post to....though to me, it's like the Eagles signed Michael Vick.

Oh, HELL..............
                          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

What an excellent, spot on post. Well said, sir.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
                              Man oh man.......at the risk of restarting a big pissing contest from a couple of months ago.........

Michael Vick is now an Eagle, and Brian Freaking Dawkins is gone because the Eagles didn't think he was worth $4M more guaranteed? Man oh man, you have just got to be kidding me. What planet is this again?

Just from that, I can't believe that principle was playing as big a role as they've said. Part of it, yes, but not most of it. Because those two decisions, just don't jibe in my mind...........I mean, WTF?

Exactly. I am feeling this from a perspective of the quality of character on this team. We lose two of the MOST respected Eagles in my entire fandom as an Eagles fan, in JJ and Brian Dawkins. And then we add Mike Vick. An absolute piece of shit. Downgrade in organizational character? You better fuggin believe it!

I would bash ANY team that signed Mike Vick. So you damned sure bet I will bash MY team for doing it. Anything less would be complete hypocrisy.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I will bash the Vick signing also-- but it has nothing to do with Dawkins.

Dawkins was left to take big money in Denver, over paid in Denver... it had nothing to do with Dawkins character or leadership.

I think bringing Dawkins into this is apples to oranges, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X