• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remembered we got screwed like this before too

Raiders irked folded index card determined key first down for Cowboys
    Dec

12/18/2017 7:07:06 AM
    |More
    The Oakland Raiders took exception to a controversial measurement for a key first down in the Dallas Cowboys' game-winning drive in a 20-17 victory Sunday night, Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com reports.

After Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott ran a QB keeper up the middle on fourth-and-1 from Dallas' 39-yard line with about five minutes to play in a tied game, the ball was spotted just short of the 40-yard line.

The chains were called out and referee Gene Steratore folded up an index card to see if there was space between the nose of the football and the pole. There was space and yet Steratore signaled a first down for the Cowboys.

"I don't want to get fined, OK?" Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said. "I'm not happy with the way things were done in a lot of different situations throughout the night. They did the best that they could. I had a different viewpoint. I saw air. It was pretty obvious. Again, they do the best they can with a tough job."

Said Raiders linebacker NaVorro Bowman: "There was still space between the ball and the stick."

The Cowboys, buoyed by the first down, marched down and kicked a 19-yard field goal with 1 minute, 47 seconds to play.

"Yeah, I don't know that I've ever seen that one," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "It seems like that's the method they use to decide. One of my concerns was that it looked like the stick was kind of on an angle. We thought that was working against us but eventually they straightened it out, brought the card out and we made it by the thickness of the card. And it was certainly a big play."

Asked why he used the index card, Steratore said: "Didn't use the card to make the final decision. The final decision was made visually. The card was used nothing more than a reaffirmation of what was visually done. My decision was visually done based on the look from the pole."

How did it reaffirm?

"That was already finished," Steratore said. "The ball was touching the pole. I put the card in there and as soon as it touched, it was nothing more than a reaffirmation. The decision was made based on my visual from the top looking down and the ball touching the front of the pole."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

This has to the most bizarre referring decision in a season of bizarre decisions. The NFL needs to improve the officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
      This has to the most bizarre referring decision in a season of bizarre decisions. The NFL needs to improve the officials.
      I remember that we lost to the 49ers like that when we were going in for the winning TD on about the 6 yard line back in the Cunningham days. The ref pulled out his credit card. Who the hell knows how they slant the card? They put the damned chain about a foot away from the ball. Why not just move the chain closer and make a friekin decision? That was just a little ploy to make himself look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I remember that we lost to the 49ers like that when we were going in for the winning TD on about the 6 yard line back in the Cunningham days. The ref pulled out his credit card. Who the hell knows how they slant the card? They put the damned chain about a foot away from the ball. Why not just move the chain closer and make a friekin decision? That was just a little ploy to make himself look good.
        It also looked that Steratore actually nudged the ball forward (just slightly) when he put his hand on it. At first it looked like there was a bit of air and then after he touched it, it looked slightly closer.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
          It also looked that Steratore actually nudged the ball forward (just slightly) when he put his hand on it. At first it looked like there was a bit of air and then after he touched it, it looked slightly closer.
          I saw that too. If you want to be dramatic lie down on the friekin ground and eyeball it. I thought that they ended up just butchering the whole thing.

The Air Force used to just shoot a laser across the field to make first down calls. They have the technology to do that. I guess that the NFL still likes the drama of the chains. They probably ate that shit up yesterday.

Comment

So, they are going to use a credit card to determine a first down based on the chain measurement but they're going to eyeball where the ball is spotted- that seems like the very definition of contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
              So, they are going to use a credit card to determine a first down based on the chain measurement but they're going to eyeball where the ball is spotted- that seems like the very definition of contradictory.
              Ya think? They blow a spot for a first down by 2 feet and it takes an act of congress to overrule it. So many contradictions on how they officiate the game.

Comment

The Air Force used to just shoot a laser across the field to make first down calls. They have the technology to do that. I guess that the NFL still likes the drama of the chains. They probably ate that shit up yesterday.
                Ive been saying something similar. Why not put a laser and receiver in the base of the chain markers. If the ball breaks the laser, its a first down.

Comment

I'm OK with using a piece of paper. But why the hell was it a FOLDED piece of paper? And if the paper slides between the ball and the marker it's NOT a first down. Clearly it didn't touch BOTH the ball and the marker because he was able to slide it inbetween and the ball didn't move. That was the most bizarre thing I've seen all year. And the ref had the weirdest shit grin on his face afterwards, too.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    And the ref had the weirdest shit grin on his face afterwards, too.
                    That was him realizing that he had earned the bribe Jerry gave him.....
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                      That was him realizing that he had earned the bribe Jerry gave him.....
                      The paper was bad enough but that smirk would have and probably should have had Del Rio on the field in the ref's ass!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                        The paper was bad enough but that smirk would have and probably should have had Del Rio on the field in the ref's ass!
                        WTF was that smirk all about? I think that he had made up his mind before the paper stunt and just played it up. Just make the call dickhead.
                        Last edited by Eagle60; 12-19-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

WTF was that smirk all about? I think that he had made up his mind before the paper stunt because the umpire was the one who actually measures it.
                          That is what ticked everyone off! It he just said 1st down and moved on no one would be talking about it. But he pulls out the paper and makes it more melodramatic. Then he adds that smirk.....

Comment

Working...
                          X