Uh Oh Wentz siting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh Wentz siting

Disclaimer--this is NOT an April Fool's Day thing. WDAY in Fargo just covered a story that included a cell phone pic showing Wentz out to dinner with Jeff Lurie and Doug Pederson.
    I know they have lots of people in for private workouts and I am sure Doug goes to dinner with many but I wouldn't think Lurie goes to dinner with many. Not to say they are definitely going this way but I think this shows they are definitely interested depending on the draft circumstances otherwise they wouldn't have Jeff at the dinner
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

If I'm Lurie I insist on being there. They are talking about using the highest pick they've had in nearly a decade and they are likely giving up even more to trade up to get him. With that many resources invested, the millions of dollars and the future of the franchise in this kid's hands, you bet your ass I'm going to be there for the interview.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      If I'm Lurie I insist on being there. They are talking about using the highest pick they've had in nearly a decade and they are likely giving up even more to trade up to get him. With that many resources invested, the millions of dollars and the future of the franchise in this kid's hands, you bet your ass I'm going to be there for the interview.
      Lane Johnson was the 4th overall pick in 2013 so that is not quite a decade .

I think Lurie being there shows that has learned from the Chip dysfunction. He needs to be more involved not so much in choosing but understanding how his front office and coaching staff are working together in these critical situations
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Lurie apparently also visited with Geno Smith in 2013, and before that 1999 with McNabb. So yes it would appear that Lurie might well visit with QBs who have a chance of being the face of the franchise. In this case, Lurie went out west on their QB tour this week, so I'm sure he visited with Goff as well.

Comment

If they really want Wentz, they're going to have to move up as high as #2, and perhaps into the top slot to get him. I wonder what that would cost. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

Comment

I think if Wentz is there at 8 you have to consider it. I wouldn't trade up in any scenario.

I would take the BPA
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

friggin Lurie. The new Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                friggin Lurie. The new Jerry Jones
                I got the same impression.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

After the debacle of recent seasons, do you blame him?

He needs to have somene in chage who he trusts enough to be hands off agan. I don't know that Dougie wil ever be that guy.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    I think if Wentz is there at 8 you have to consider it. I wouldn't trade up in any scenario.

I would take the BPA
                    Agreed. Trading back, good. Trading up, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      After the debacle of recent seasons, do you blame him?

He needs to have somene in chage who he trusts enough to be hands off agan. I don't know that Dougie wil ever be that guy.
                      Do I blame him under the current circumstances? Absolutely not. But you have to ask yourself who put us in the present position that we're in? If I remember right he's the reason that we moved up to draft Mamula. Then he made the disastrous decision to cut salaries before the first game to make room for injury money which totally backfired. He smartened up after that and said that he was going to let "the football people" make those decisions when he got Reid. Now all of a sudden he's got a non football guy as a GM so now he's going to get back in the act. He's not Snyder by any means, but he's not making very good decisions lately either.

Comment

Lurie has on prospect visits in the past when we've had a really high pick -- it's just that having a high pick has been very rare under him, so it doesn't happen often. Or, maybe it's just when there is a new coach, so to get a feel for the coach as well -- those times happened to have coincided (1999, 2013). I don't think there is any real change in Lurie's thinking this time around.

I don't ever remember a narrative that Lurie forced the Mamula pick. Rhodes was a prize hire as coach, and was given draft control. I think that was stripped after three drafts after they produced little, and Lurie hired Modrak to handle personnel (while Banner did contracts). Looking at those drafts... best picks were Dawkins (who did not flourish until Jim Johnson got here), Bobby Taylor, Duce Staley (rookie during the 3-13 year), and Jermane Mayberry, who failed as a tackle but was good as a guard. I think that was a richly deserved demotion for Rhodes... not a good record over three years. We all pile on Mike Mamula, but Jon Harris was far, far worse.

From the sounds of it, Lurie was there with Wentz, Goff, Hogan, and Lynch (or will be with Lynch). QB is a special position, one that can become the face of the franchise -- Lurie may be more interested in it at that level, just getting to know the guy and how he'd come across to fans, more than actually getting involved with the evaluations.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                          Lurie has on prospect visits in the past when we've had a really high pick -- it's just that having a high pick has been very rare under him, so it doesn't happen often. Or, maybe it's just when there is a new coach, so to get a feel for the coach as well -- those times happened to have coincided (1999, 2013). I don't think there is any real change in Lurie's thinking this time around.

I don't ever remember a narrative that Lurie forced the Mamula pick. Rhodes was a prize hire as coach, and was given draft control. I think that was stripped after three drafts after they produced little, and Lurie hired Modrak to handle personnel (while Banner did contracts). Looking at those drafts... best picks were Dawkins (who did not flourish until Jim Johnson got here), Bobby Taylor, Duce Staley (rookie during the 3-13 year), and Jermane Mayberry, who failed as a tackle but was good as a guard. I think that was a richly deserved demotion for Rhodes... not a good record over three years. We all pile on Mike Mamula, but Jon Harris was far, far worse.

From the sounds of it, Lurie was there with Wentz, Goff, Hogan, and Lynch (or will be with Lynch). QB is a special position, one that can become the face of the franchise -- Lurie may be more interested in it at that level, just getting to know the guy and how he'd come across to fans, more than actually getting involved with the evaluations.
                          I would hope that it's Doug's decision alone to tell you the truth. What the hell does Howie or Jeff know about playing QB?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            I would hope that it's Doug's decision alone to tell you the truth. What the hell does Howie or Jeff know about playing QB?
                            It's not just that. If you're drafting a QB here, you're doing it because he's going to be your franchise QB. The face of the franchise, and everything that goes along with it. Ultimately, you have to let the football guys decide, but I can understand Lurie wanting to meet these guys, and go have dinner with them, just to see what they're like in person.

Comment

Interesting. One man's opinion: Sheridan opines that Lurie simply may want to observe the new coach/(quasi) GM working dynamic in action. Also each time that he's gone on the road with his brain trust, the Eagles had a high 1st-rd pick.

This is pretty much in line with FairOaks line of thinking.

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia...as-well-as-qbs

The Philadelphia Eagles traveling front office road show is moving from North Dakota to Tennessee. A source close to the situation confirmed the Eagles will work out Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch on Thursday.

The Eagles already worked out North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, Cal’s Jared Goff and Stanford’s Kevin Hogan. They have made good use of the week between the NFL owners meetings and the first day coaches can work with players, which is Monday.

The traveling party includes owner Jeff Lurie, head coach Doug Pederson and executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman.

A lot of conclusions have been jumped to regarding Lurie’s presence. But it’s a mistake to make too much of it.

Lurie traveled to work out Geno Smith in 2013, when Smith was considered one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. The Eagles did not take Smith in the first or second round. The New York Jets drafted Smith in the second round, at No. 39 overall.

That was the first time Lurie traveled to work out a player since 1999, when the Eagles drafted Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick. That is significant, but I think this is more significant: The three times Lurie has gone on such scouting trips, he had just hired a head coach.

Lurie went to work out McNabb in Andy Reid’s first offseason as head coach. He went to work out Smith in Chip Kelly’s first offseason as head coach. And he’s traveling this week in Pederson’s first offseason as head coach.

That is likely the more significant common denominator here. So is this: The Eagles had the second overall pick in 1999, the fourth overall pick in 2013 and the eighth overall pick this year. Those are valuable assets being utilized by men in new working relationships.

It makes sense the boss wants to keep an eye on the process.

That doesn’t mean the Eagles will draft a quarterback at No. 8. It depends on how Pederson and Roseman evaluate the quarterbacks, as well as the other players rated among the top 15 prospects.

But bear in mind what happened to the Eagles the past couple of years. Roseman was the general managed when Kelly was hired in 2013. By the end of the 2014 season, Kelly was placed in charge of personnel and Roseman was exiled to study successful sports franchises.

In 2015 Kelly ran the personnel department and failed to meet Lurie’s expectations. He was fired and Roseman was reinstated as the top personnel man. The Eagles hired Pederson to replace Kelly.

So Lurie may be studying Wentz and Lynch and Goff. But he may also be studying Roseman and Pederson and how they work together. After the way the Kelly era unraveled, it wouldn’t be surprising if Lurie wants to keep his eyes open for any warning signs.

Back in 1999 he didn't just hire Reid to replace Ray Rhodes as head coach. He also paired Reid with Tom Modrak, the director of football operations at the time. Reid and Modrak hadn’t worked together before, and they had to decide how to use the second pick in that year’s draft.

With four weeks until this year's draft, the Eagles are sure to be involved in plenty of intrigue. Their strategy will be finalized after they complete their tour of America’s draft-eligible quarterbacks. It is an important decision.

Lurie may let his football men make that decision, but he’ll also want to know exactly how that decision is reached.

Comment

Working...
                              X