• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnett played hurt last year

Eagles’ Derek Barnett reportedly had offseason surgery

Nothing to fret.
    By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 12, 2018, 9:30am EDT

Eagles defensive end Derek Barnett underwent sports hernia surgery earlier this year following the conclusion of Philadelphia’s Super Bowl winning season, according to a report from PhillyVoice’s Jimmy Kempski.

Kempski also notes Barnett should be mostly healthy now since the surgery only projects to have a six-week recovery period. So, no need to panic.

From what I can tell, Barnett first appeared on the Eagles’ injury report with a groin issue prior to the Eagles’ Week 13 game against the Seattle Seahawks on December 3, 2017. The rookie Barnett did not miss any playing time, however, save for when the Eagles decided to rest him in a meaningless Week 17 game against the Dallas Cowboys.

Including the playoffs, Barnett only logged five tackles and 1.5 sacks in his final eight games of the season. He had notched 15 tackles and 4.5 sacks in his first 10 games, by comparison.

Barnett still made a big impact in the playoffs despite not playing at 100%. He strip-sacked Case Keenum on a huge play in the NFC Championship Game when the Vikings were in the red zone and had a chance to potentially tie the game at 14-14. (Thanks for that draft pick, Minnesota!)

Barnett also recovered the loose ball when Brandon Graham strip-sacked Tom Brady in the Super Bowl (pictured above this article). That recovery essentially ensured the Eagles’ first Vince Lombardi Trophy victory in franchise history.

Let’s watch it again.

Barnett has a very bright future ahead of him. He’s still only 21 years old! And he’s healthy now. Hopefully it stays that way.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

can't wait to see Him with Sweat, growing older in this defense.
    Good times a coming. Wish it was closer to Sept. can't wait to see this group in action against the best in each division
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

This fall season is going to be a new experience for all of us. I honestly don't know how I am going to react during the games. But, I would assume that this coming season will be very entertaining, with much less stress involved.

We are fans of the Super Bowl Champions......finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        This fall season is going to be a new experience for all of us. I honestly don't know how I am going to react during the games. But, I would assume that this coming season will be very entertaining, with much less stress involved.

We are fans of the Super Bowl Champions......finally.
        Same here! It feels so goof to go into the season as the defending Super Bowl Champs!

Gonna be a tough road as on paper all the NFC East got better even Dallas by dumping Dez and getting the troll for 16 games!

Comment

So, let me get this straight- he was an impactful member of a defense that helped win the SUPERBOWL- and he was hurt through the latter part of the season AND the playoffs??

Good times are coming for him.

Comment

Working...
          X