Support for the Oline fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for the Oline fans

PFF ranked out Oline 8th in the league....pretty damned good, considering.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...m_campaign=nfl

8. Philadelphia Eagles (7)

Top overall grade: LT Jason Peters, 88.3 (No. 7)
    Top pass-blocking grade: LT Jason Peters, 89.1 (No. 6)
    Top run-blocking grade: RT Lane Johnson, 86.7 (No. 6)

The Eagles line would have been far higher on this list if RT Lane Johnson could avoid getting himself suspended. Johnson is arguably the game’s best right tackle, but was suspended for 10 games, forcing the team to use fifth round rookie Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Allen Barbre and then Matt Tobin at right tackle as injuries prevented a settled unit. New import Brandon Brooks was excellent in his first season with the Eagles, allowing just one sack all season at guard and narrowly missing out on a spot on the PFF All-Pro team. Between injury and suspension, the Eagles were disrupted pretty significantly up front, and this unit has the potential to be better than they showed overall this year.

I guess this would support those who feel we are pretty good at Oline going forward. Of course, that ranking is with Peters in there, and playing pretty well all season. That could certainly change.

And FWIW, Dallas was #2, Skins #7, and Giants # 20.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

While PFF stats pretty much suck this does at least make a case for Peters and we all agree with the upper 5 teams. With all the stunts, twists and blocking schemes this takes away about 50% of the plays to grade (because we don't know who is responsible for what) and they are really the most important ones IMO. It's obvious to anybody that Dallas has the best Oline and that Marriota can scramble his way out of a lot of sacks. Tennessee did average 33 PPG so their grade should be high.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm not a big believer in PFFs ranking or commentaries but one has to consider what they say. There were plenty of times where Wentz was running for his life 1.5 seconds after the snap so I don't think the OL was top of the league by any stretch. I also don't believe them at the bottom. I think they have pieces to work with for next year but I agree with MD in that there are a lot of ifs. In any case it won't hurt to try an upgrade or two.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Our best offensive lineman, Jason Peters, will be 35 yo next season. I think that says it all.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

2 young guys got valuable experience, I have no problem going forward with Peters on the left side, Should something happen and you need a long term replacement shift Lane over. We still need to add pieces, IMO if you are following your draft board and you have the opportunity to pick a lineman you do so . Even if that's every year. I would like to keep Wiz on board as well.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I wish PFF would publish their methodology for determining these grades. Do their grades factor in penalties, hurries, sacks given up etc.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Methodology:
              The PFF O-Line metric quantifies the performance of an entire offensive line on a statistical basis, using a range of data collected by Pro Football Focus’ highly skilled analysis and player participation teams. For both run-blocking and pass-blocking situations, the offensive line’s performance is assessed against an expected production level, which is derived from a variety of scenarios. On run plays, the key statistic is yards before contact, where the expected gain before contact is set based on factors like the number of defensive players in the box, the run concept called by the offense, and the down-and-distance situation. On passing plays, the key stat is pressures allowed in terms of sacks, hits, and hurries only by offensive linemen. The expectation there is set by factors such as the down-and-distance situation, the dropback-type by the quarterback, and whether a play-action fake was executed. These numbers are then adjusted for the opposition and combined based upon the run-to-pass ratio that each offense plays within to ensure that each offensive line is judged for their performance level within what they are asked to execute.
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                Methodology:
                The PFF O-Line metric quantifies the performance of an entire offensive line on a statistical basis, using a range of data collected by Pro Football Focus’ highly skilled analysis and player participation teams. For both run-blocking and pass-blocking situations, the offensive line’s performance is assessed against an expected production level, which is derived from a variety of scenarios. On run plays, the key statistic is yards before contact, where the expected gain before contact is set based on factors like the number of defensive players in the box, the run concept called by the offense, and the down-and-distance situation. On passing plays, the key stat is pressures allowed in terms of sacks, hits, and hurries only by offensive linemen. The expectation there is set by factors such as the down-and-distance situation, the dropback-type by the quarterback, and whether a play-action fake was executed. These numbers are then adjusted for the opposition and combined based upon the run-to-pass ratio that each offense plays within to ensure that each offensive line is judged for their performance level within what they are asked to execute.
                Translation: We put a bunch of bullshit stats out there for you stat crazy baseball people so we can make our site look more legitimate than others.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

They obviously didn't watch any of our games.
                  "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
                  X