• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise FA target for Birds

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ON NJ.COM
    Eagles trying to get jump on CB Patrick Robinson negotiations, source says
    Updated 12:19 PM; Posted 9:24 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Eagles cornerback Patrick Robinson emerged as one of the top slot cornerbacks in the NFL last season, and the team is looking to ensure that he does not hit the open market when free agency begins.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Robinson and the Eagles have begun talks about a long-term extension that would keep him in an Eagles uniform long-term prior to the start of the new league year, when other teams can bid openly for the veteran's services.

Talks between the Eagles and Robinson have been ongoing, but other teams could be in the mix if a deal is not reached prior to the new league year opening on March 14.

The individual spoke to NJ Advance Media on the condition of anonymity, because he is not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

In his lone season with the Eagles, Robinson played 68.9 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps, second among cornerbacks to Jalen Mills. In addition to his dominance in the slot, Robinson showed the versatility to also play outside when called upon throughout the season.

Robinson thrived after moving to the nickel cornerback and emerged as one of the leaders in the locker room while finishing the season with 47 tackles, 1.0 sack, and four interceptions.

The highlight of Robinson's lone season with the Eagles after signing a one-year deal last spring, was an interception returned for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship Game.

Are Eagles looking to trade Foles? Roseman says ...

Up until the new league year begins, and free agency gets underway, the Eagles have exclusive negotiating rights with Robinson.

Given the way that teams now play defense across the league, slot cornerbacks are now essentially starters in most schemes, which should boost Robinson's value if he hits the open market.

The Eagles are currently $9.66 million over the projected salary cap, which could present a challenge for executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman, as he looks to lock up valuable contributors to long-term deals.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

my guess is, you make him feel wanted , offer something fair and hope he feels nostalgic. Otherwise, let him walk.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Hmmm I wonder if they may then shop Darby and start Mills and Jones with Rasual as the backup. Interesting. ALso tells you they have a plan and they will have the cap situation figured out.

One other interested tid bit the Arizona Cardinals box is right next to the Eagles box at the combine. I wonder how many times the Cardinals GM will be leaning over saying Hey Howie how about Foles for XXXX
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Yea they are pretty flush with CBs so pursuing him is surprising. However, he played well for them so I can see them wanting to keep him. Darby is interesting. He kind of infuriated me at times. Not sure if it was the scheme or just him but a lot of guys seemed to make catches. However, he would jump up and make a play at the right time; either an interception or a blocked pass.
        Agree that this says Howie has a plan for the salary cap and players they want next year. As fans we will have to wait to see it slowly unfold--which will irritate some during the off season. And we may never know the moves they try but don't get done.
        Anyone know what the franchise tender will be for a TE
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I can see Darby bringing back a late third or early 4th round pick. Given that Sidney should be ready to start, Rasul and Jalen are still here and if they bring back P Rob it makes sense. Darby only has a year left on his contract and I think he will cost more than P Rob would over time.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            I can see Darby bringing back a late third or early 4th round pick. Given that Sidney should be ready to start, Rasul and Jalen are still here and if they bring back P Rob it makes sense. Darby only has a year left on his contract and I think he will cost more than P Rob would over time.
            I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I sure would hate to lose Darby, he's our fastest db and best playmaker. I wonder who was blowing all of those coverages in the SB?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I sure would hate to lose Darby, he's our fastest db and best playmaker. I wonder who was blowing all of those coverages in the SB?
                Mills sucks balls at cb he needs to be a safety or not on the roster!
                Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
                  Mills sucks balls at cb he needs to be a safety or not on the roster!
                  Really? I thought he was pretty good last year. Got burned a few times but what corner doesn’t?
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

and not many DBs don't get taken to school by Brady
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think that we played so many defenses that it caught up to us in the SB and we had some confusion. It's either that or somehow the Pats figured us out at halftime and torched us.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                        Really? I thought he was pretty good last year. Got burned a few times but what corner doesn’t?
                        I've never been impressed with him, he takes too many chances and gets burned too many times for my likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
                          I've never been impressed with him, he takes too many chances and gets burned too many times for my likes.
                          I don't see getting beat on stop and go routes when you're one on one as getting burned. Shit happens.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Rasul Douglas and Sidney Jones are the starters next year. Mills eventually moves to the Deep Safety position that McCloud plays. Mills is a really good tackler and I think it plays well into that deep safety position. He would certainly cover better than McCloud.

I still think Darby is the guy to go through. They just won't be able to get him signed long-term with the salary cap over the next few years an staring at a big deal for Wentz sometime after year 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              I don't see getting beat on stop and go routes when you're one on one as getting burned. Shit happens.
                              It sure seemed like the shit was happening to him more than anyone else on the team that's for sure, that's why I think he's a safety in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X