I think that the Eagles should have a family price for practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that the Eagles should have a family price for practice

Eagles president Don Smolenski explains why the team is only having one open practice and charging to attend

Some points seem valid. Some, not so much.

By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye Jul 23, 2019, 10:34am EDT
    Share this story
    NFL: Houston Texans at Philadelphia Eagles
    Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports
    Much has been made of the Eagles only having one open practice this summer, especially because they would be charging $10 admittance for that sole open practice with proceeds going to autism research — not to mention the Ticketmaster service charges.

Eagles president Don Smolenski went on to 94WIP Tuesday morning and tried explaining the team’s decision.

“When we moved training from Lehigh to the NovaCare Complex, there’s a lot of thing you try to balance,” Smoleski notes.

He went on to point out that they have to manage their “neighbors” and that per their lease, they aren’t actually allowed to have training camp at the NovaCare Complex, but thanks to their great relationship with their local neighbors, have made it work. But, part of that compromise is how many people they can have attend.

Smolenski talked about attendance decreasing each year, which also resulted in them going from five open practices, to the one this year. He noted that last year 120,000 tickets were reserved, and of those only 10,000 were reserved for both days and only 2,500 actually came to both, 3,500 came to none and 5,000 came to one. (Alexis note: that doesn’t add up.)

He also talked about how they have other events, like the Rolling Stones concert, which will tear up the playing surface at Lincoln Financial Field and require re-sodding which alters their practice schedule a bit.

Smolenski said the stadium can accommodate 70,000 fans and are already over 23,000 tickets sold. He also mentioned that the $10 ticket fee not only goes to support the Eagles’ efforts toward autism research, but also gives fans a more vested interest in attending once they reserve those tickets.

He did say that the team would consider expanding practices again in the future if fan demand shows it’s worth it.

Some of the points brought up by Smolenski are valid, but the dip in attendance just doesn’t make much sense. With the Super Bowl win and all the excitement around Doug Pederson, Carson Wentz and an improving roster, those numbers seemed to be going up. The following attendance totals were announced by the Eagles over the past three years:

Brandon Lee Gowton

@BrandonGowton
    Eagles open training camp practice attendance totals (two practices combined):

2016: 36,000

2017: 59,000

2018: 75,000

12:11 PM - Aug 11, 2018
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    96 people are talking about this
    Plus, the $10 individual ticket price might seem small — and help the team plan for actual attendance numbers —, but for a family of four, that’s $40 plus Ticketmaster fees (up to $4 per ticket), making the outing over $50. That’s not peanuts. That’s the difference between many fans never getting to see the team they love and support year round.

The Raiders (zero) are the only team in the NFL with fewer open practices than the Eagles. All 30 other teams are holding at least five and some as much as 20.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

We're talking about practice?

Sorry had to do that. But, I think the spirit actually holds. I understand that there are some fans that would want to see practice. It isn't me but that doesn't mean someone else isn't interested. If the lease at novacare doesn't allow them, moving all the equip to the linc or some other places is a hassle. All I really want is a team that is injury free and ready to kick ass Game #1.

Comment

I agree Vet and I'm sure that every adult that goes feels the same way. However to the kids it's a really cool thing to see so I think that letting them in for free is the right thing to do.

Comment

I'm not there so have no vested interest. I know there are families that travel 300+ miles to the Vikings camp. They make it part of their vacation so their kids can get up close with players (who all still walk or ride bike to the dorm). But two years ago the Vikings started the same corporate type thing and moved from their long time small college training camp to a more professional facility. It is the way of the world. Back in the day every kid had stacks of baseball cards to pitch, flip or whatever game was available that day. Not so much today. Will it lead to lost interest as adults?? Not sure but I don't think it helps
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I'm not there so have no vested interest. I know there are families that travel 300+ miles to the Vikings camp. They make it part of their vacation so their kids can get up close with players (who all still walk or ride bike to the dorm). But two years ago the Vikings started the same corporate type thing and moved from their long time small college training camp to a more professional facility. It is the way of the world. Back in the day every kid had stacks of baseball cards to pitch, flip or whatever game was available that day. Not so much today. Will it lead to lost interest as adults?? Not sure but I don't think it helps
          I enjoyed Andy's 3 days of hell at Bethlehem more than I did going to Eagles games. The stands were right on top of the action. We would figure out where the team would be scrimmaging the 2nd half of practice and stake our claim. It was like we were right in the huddle-so cool. A few of us would go down for all 3 days and have a lot of fun. I went with MD one year too and we had a blast! I met Dawk down there with IKE one year. I really liked him until I found out he was from New Hampshire.

Comment

I disagree with the fact that the "kids" we more the beneficiaries... I loved camp and in fact, I would not have a problem paying to get in.

Comment

My son and I enjoyed going to Lehigh. Things change unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                I disagree with the fact that the "kids" we more the beneficiaries... I loved camp and in fact, I would not have a problem paying to get in.
                I hear you MD, but just watching drills without scrimmaging isn't that exciting. Those scrimmages that we saw were great! I absolutely loved camp but some families simply can't afford to go to a game. If you have to buy third party tickets on the internet you're talking $1000 for a family of 4 and that's really the only way that you are going to get game tickets. Again I think that they should only charge Mom and Dad and let the kids come in for the bagel and make things a little more affordable.
                Last edited by Eagle60; 07-25-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Practice

Comment

Working...
                  X