• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's really going to be a screwed up season if we have one

Some teams may cut roster sizes before training camp
    Jun
    6/17/2020 1:48:43 PM
    |More
    The roster limit for NFL teams in training camp is 90 but some teams may opt to take fewer than than that to make social distancing and other options intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 easier according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.com.

There seems to be no magic number but Florio speculates that teams could limit their rosters to 80 players or even 75. The reality of the modifications needed seem to be finally sinking in the coaching staffs, as practices and traditions forged by many years of preparing their players for the regular season aremno longer feasible. That message has been brought home even clearer in recent days with several Cowboys and Texans players testing positive for the virus and numerous big-name college teams dealing with outbreaks just in unofficial workout.

So with fewer players even participating in training camp, how do teams decide who to jettison before they even start the process? It's a good bet that draft picks will all attend and superstars like Tom Brady and Saquon Barkley have complete job security. Undrafted free agents would seem to be the most vulnerable but middle-tier veterans are also likely concerned. Teams concerned with cutting costs in the face of a season possibly played without fans may choose cheap youth over higher-paid experience. And if those moves don't work out, they can always bring back a more expensive player but sign them for less than they would have made on their original contracts.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I kind of think it will be less like training camp of old and more like teams starting out with preseason football. They have a good idea of guys that will be on the team and they will gather them for a short period before preseason games. They will run through their offensive and defensive play books, team requirements, etc. I would expect a full practice squad and scouts keeping a keener eye on who is available outside of the organization. Then as preseason goes they may cut and pick up players as they see fit. Different but not a bad thing necessarily.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I honestly wouldn't be too upset if the season was cancelled, especially after the Brooks injury, CV, the coming protests, etc. But, it is the NFL and there is too much money to be lost.

I really dislike titles that are won and have to be marked with an *. This is already going to happen in MLB, the NBA and the NHL, if those sports do get off the ground soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        I honestly wouldn't be too upset if the season was cancelled, especially after the Brooks injury, CV, the coming protests, etc. But, it is the NFL and there is too much money to be lost.

I really dislike titles that are won and have to be marked with an *. This is already going to happen in MLB, the NBA and the NHL, if those sports do get off the ground soon.
        I'm kinda close with you... My world will not collapse if the season is lost-- rather than some punked-up version of a season. Especially with all the kneeling-- non-kneeling crap that will be flying around. If they will disrespect the flag(my perspective, my reality) and continue to bring politics and "social awareness" into the game--- I don't need it anymore! Just another institution that gets ruined.

Comment

I sure as hell want a season!! The only one that was bogus was the one that had replacement players and some teams gave a shit and some didn't and it cost us a SB because Buddy backed the players and wouldn't coach the scabs.

As for the kneeling I would like it if they had their right hand on their heart and their left making a fist or something like that.

Comment

I'm thinking the other way. I could see a 2 week quarantine of players and then a old-school closed training camp that limits outside interaction. I think NFL may also allow expanded training camp rosters deeper into camp. Where I see things being different is in the FA pick-ups as rosters settle out. I would also hope that the roster is adjusted to allow for positives and not have to use IR status.

Where I think things get dicey is when someone that is positive gets really sick and not just asymptomatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

Wow, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but it looks like there is a real chance they will cancel the season. Unlike other sports football is a game that requires physical contact and frankly it will be extremely hard to implement some of the guidelines they want. There is a growing movement of influential people advising against the league opening at all if they can't implement all of the guidelines.

With the amount of money at stake and the well documented unbridled greed of most owners, the chances of them shutting down is slim. Still, I won't be completely shocked or upset if it happens.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...ive-in-bubble/
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                I'm kinda close with you... My world will not collapse if the season is lost-- rather than some punked-up version of a season. Especially with all the kneeling-- non-kneeling crap that will be flying around. If they will disrespect the flag(my perspective, my reality) and continue to bring politics and "social awareness" into the game--- I don't need it anymore! Just another institution that gets ruined.

I don't think the kneeling will be an issue this year MD. I don't think there will be any fans in the seats and my guess is that the networks are not going to show the national anthem any more. They will simply air another commercial and make some money rather than insert themselves into a controversy that will anger people and give them a reason to turn off the game - no matter what happens on the field.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  I don't think the kneeling will be an issue this year MD. I don't think there will be any fans in the seats and my guess is that the networks are not going to show the national anthem any more. They will simply air another commercial and make some money rather than insert themselves into a controversy that will anger people and give them a reason to turn off the game - no matter what happens on the field.
                  Juk, you may be correct, but like I said if this year is going to be weird, like no fans cheering, or in our case, booing, it's not gonna break my heart if they don't play. IF they do I can assure you that I might ONLY watch the Eagles games and tune out the rest, I dunno.... just so down on this league anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Juk, you may be correct, but like I said if this year is going to be weird, like no fans cheering, or in our case, booing, it's not gonna break my heart if they don't play. IF they do I can assure you that I might ONLY watch the Eagles games and tune out the rest, I dunno.... just so down on this league anymore.

WOW! I would never have thought those words would come out of your mouth!!

Comment

sometimes you just can't make this s*** up
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Working...
                      X