Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Story on Kolb (ho-hum) ... and the Eagles have received trade offers for Mike Kafka???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its the difference between having 5-6 teams bidding and 2 at most....I agree there will be some urgency due to the timing, but even AZ and Seattle have made some moves to decrease their vulnerability at QB and thus make it harder for the Eagles to demand the sky for Kolb....they also know we need to move Kolb in a short time frame.

I highly doubt we are getting a 1st rd pick + a player...if Roseman/Reid pull that off they are flat out geniuses. I would say a 2nd rd pick or a lower pick + a player. I hope I am wrong, but part of me also wants them to keep Kolb since Vick is so injury prone...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I don't think the pressure is on the Eagles at all VFK. They don't HAVE to trade him at all. It's certainly better for us to do that if there's a solid offer, but if the return isn't there then having him as a back up is acceptable. The pressure from the Cards perspective is huge. Not only do they have a short period of time to make a trade/sign a FA, but they need to get someone in who has experience and can adapt to their system quickly. With the quick approach of the preseason and regular season they don't have the luxury of allowing a 2nd tier player to learn their playbook and adapt to their system. Experience will be critical and Kolb has had a lot of time to learn our system and showed last season that he can put up mega-yardage when he gets some protection. He's the best player available and the Cards have a desperate need and limited time to make a move. All the pressure is on them, not the Eagles.

Taz, there's no way in the world the Eagles get both Rodgers-Cromartie AND a 1st for Kolb!!! R-C straight up is a possibility but getting him and a pick is just crazy!!
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

8/11/11 Update...

Eagles QB Mike Kafka has been "like night and day between last training camp and this year's," according to beat writer Jeff McLane.

Kafka's arm strength is still an issue, but he's more comfortable in Andy Reid's offense and more confident overall. By all accounts, Kafka has severely outplayed Vince Young in camp practices. It's not exactly shocking considering his knowledge of the offense. Young will be No. 2 on the depth chart by September.

Comment

http://philly.sbnation.com/2011/8/18...-strong-finish

Eagles Vs Steelers Preseason: Mike Kafka Provides Some Late Highlights

The Eagles first and second teams were more or less crushed by the Steelers tonight in Pittsburgh (read our first half report here), but Mike Kafka and the Eagles third/fourth stringers at least provided some positive highlights late.

Kafka was 14 of 19 for 160 yards and two TDs as he led the Eagles on two late scoring drives and did a nice job running the hurry up offense. Now, clearly it seemed like it was against a largely disinterested Steelers defense, but the fact is that their 3rd/4th string guys are playing for jobs as well and Kafka handled them well.

He did a nice job stepping in the pocket to avoid pressure, was accurate with his throws and found the open receiver on just about every play. Again, it was against scrubs playing prevent, but the kid can only play the team you put in front of him.

Comment

http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/...r-backup-role/

Mike Kafka Creating Competition For Backup Role
            By: Tim McManus on August 20, 2011 3:15 pm

NOVACARE COMPLEX — There was one sequence at training camp that exemplified Mike Kafka’s development as a quarterback, and his coach’s recognition of it.

As Kafka was going through his pre-snap routine, he identified a blitz coming from the left side, audibled to a new play, rolled away from the blitz and found a wide open receiver. His throw was off the mark, and the quarterback slapped his hands in frustration.

Andy Reid, however, was as happy as could be, giving him a firm attaboy as he walked off the field.

On Thursday against the Steelers, he gave his coach another reason to smile.

“I told you Thursday night was a mess — he was good,” said Reid of Kafka. “He played very well.”

Kafka completed 74 percent of his passes for 160 yards with a pair of touchdown strikes to Gerald Jones. He finished with a 133.7 passer rating.
            When Vince Young was signed, Reid said that the former Titan would be the No.2 behind Michael Vick when he was ready. But Kafka might be making the head man think a little bit.

“I haven’t made any final decisions on anything,” said Reid. “I want these guys to compete, because that’s what brings out the best in them…That’s how I feel about the backup quarterback, but you can ask me about other positions and I feel the same way.”

Young ran with the second team Thursday and went 5-of-8 for 34 yards with an interception. He is working uphill at the moment, trying to learn the West Coast offense in a short amount of time.

Kafka has a leg up in that department, having spent the last year-plus studying the system.

“I feel good. I feel confident,” said Kafka. “Obviously there are a lot of things I can get better at and that I can take away from the last couple preseason games. There was some good, some bad, so right now I’m in the process of weeding out the bad stuff, keeping the good stuff and moving forward.

While odds are that Young keeps his grip on the backup spot, there are still a couple weeks before Reid has to make a decision. Kafka says his approach is the same regardless.

“Either way, you have to prepare to be the starter,” said Kafka. “You have to prepare with that same mentality that you are going to execute at a very high level.”

Comment

8/25/11 Update...

I think Domowitch forgot they changed the rule this year that allowed teams to have all 3 QBs active on game day. The 3rd QB doesn't sit in limbo as a last resort, so just because the Eagles will have all 3 active, won't mean anything.

Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News confirms that Vince Young remains in a battle with Mike Kafka for the backup job.

Young has struggled to grasp Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense while Kafka has compiled a 99.9 passer rating through two preseason games. Domowitch believes that both quarterbacks will be active in Week 1 and Andy Reid would turn to Kafka if Michael Vick went down. While the talent gap between the two is massive, Young needs to prove himself over the next two weeks. It's a storyline to watch in tonight's third preseason game.

Comment

Working...
              X