Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where we are right now besides 5-5

About where we should be.

Let's face it. This schedule looked pretty cake before the season began I thought, which is why I thought we had a shot to go 11-5 or 10-6 and make the playoffs. Look at what has actually happened though.

The Ravens are better than we thought.
    The Lions are too.
    The Division is WAY better than we thought. The Giants are 7-3!! They are simply the worst 7-3 team I've ever seen in my life but it helps when you play the Rams in London and steal one from the Cowboys in week one.

But seriously, this schedule has been ridiculously hard so far after the first 2 games against the worst teams in the league. So yeah, 5-5 and that bad and there is at least a chance that we make the playoffs.

Packers... think we win because their defense is awful.
    at Bengals... have a real chance here because A.J. Green is out for the year.
    Ravens... have a chance here also.
    So let's say in these 3 games we go 2-1.
    That means if we go 3-0 in the 3 homes games in the Division we go 10-6 and probably sneak into the playoffs. Remember, we played awful against the Giants and almost won. We had the Skins beat. And there is a good chance that by the last game against the Cowboys they are resting all of their key players. So 10-6 isn't crazy.

Specific to the talent here is why I see.

The front 7 is good to very good. Bennie Logan is as good as Fletcher almost. The linebackers are very solid I think Bradham needs to be extended long-term despite his off field issues. He is a very solid player. It's also time to extend Reid. He is the real deal also. Clearly we need to spend a mid-round pick on a player here for depth but as I said the front 7 is solid.

The secondary is ok. The main priority in this offseason is getting a true lead corner. The entire secondary will be better if you have a true shutdown guy. And the good news is those guys are available usually in the middle of the first round. The safeties are fine. McLeod is very good. And the other corners are fine too but we need a lead guy

Offensively, I am encouraged by Wentz but not over the moon. He is not a great deep thrower yet. I hope that develops. And he is not as athletic as I thought he would be. He is not Russell Wilson. He is not even Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers athletically. He is Eli Manning or Tom Brady.

On the offensive line, we are better than I thought. JP is playing great and I think likely to be resigned next year to a 2 or 3 year deal that keeps him at LT. The biggest need is depth on the interior of the line and maybe another C. Big V is pretty good guys. Notice his name is not getting said much since the Redskins game which means he is NOT holding and he is not getting beat that much. I'm encouraged and I think it speaks to how well Wentz is at getting the team in the right play and making quick decisions.

OK now for the controversy.

OUR WIDE RECEIVERS ARE NOT HORRIBLE.
    There I said it. DGB played his best game as an Eagle yesterday. OK, so his stats came in garbage time but who cares. The kid is like 22 years old and needs reps and confidence and yesterday he got them. He is only going to get better. Don't give up on him. Matthews is a VERY SOLID 2 guys. He could be Reggie Wayne if we can find a Marvin Harrison. Nelson Agholor is not going anywhere and I don't think he should. We are not in practice guys. We have no clue what he looks like. He is a 23 year old kid who according to all reports busts his ass, works extra hard after practice, but appears to be trying to hard. I am not ready to give up on him because let's face it we are not going anywhere this year. We need to give him 3 years. I know that is not popular but you just can't give up on a kid that you drafted in the first round less than 2 years ago.

What the WRs need is a speed guy. If the corner they want is not there in the draft, they could draft the WR out of Oklahoma Westbrook who has speed to burn or the kid out of Baylor. Both of those kids are stretch the field types. From there, Matthews, DGB, and Agholor will fall in line as a 2/3/4 WRs. We just simply don't need all new WRs. We need 1 speed guy.

As for the RB position, they need a between the tackles pounder that can get 3-4 yards. Not sure who that is but I hope they don't take Leonard Fournette in the first round. That would be a terrible move. He is a good RB but I would never take one in round one and that includes Ezekiel Elliott. Wayne Gallman out of Clemson or a player similar to that would be fine with me in the 3-4 round and we will be able to run the ball even better than we can now.

So I think we should all take a step back and realize this was a rebuild year. the schedule was tougher than we thought and personally I've seen some things to be excited about. We were not massively outmanned yesterday. Russell Wilson played great and we had trouble covering their speed. We moved the ball on them but shot ourselves in the foot. Its what young teams do.

I'm encouraged and think next year with a different schedule this team is primed to actually go deep into the playoffs.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

This schedule was hard even before the year. Its about things like 3 consecutive teams playing us coming off of bye weeks, then the fourth team coming off a Thursday game. 6 of their first 10 games on the road including a trip to Seattle. This schedule was brutal and continues to be. Its a miracle this team is 5-5 at this point with the talent they have.

The Wide outs do suck. Agholor's mistakes just can't happen. Sure DGB had some catches late but he once again had another offensive pass interference. He is blocking like its a run play when its a pass. So either he isn't paying attention to the play call, or is missing the audible. Either way he is a simpleton. I am not as concerned about DGB though, he had no offseason with this team and he still does have a lot to learn. Agholor is the issue as well as Treggs sucks but he is the fourth guy.

With average receivers this team is 7-3 as the least right now. Even with all the other faults this team has.

Need to sign two vet wide outs in the offseason. They don't need to be number 1 types just solid guys. If DeSean Jackson is cut sign him, sign a guy like Michael Floyd. Just solid players and this team will be better because they will be balanced.

The Eagles won't take a RB in round 1. They will most likely take an O lineman or d lineman. Good RB can be found throughout the draft. Elliot is special but lets be honest he is playing behind the best line in football, he usually isn't getting hit until he hits the 2nd line of defense which are usually smaller guys and Elliot is a big guy. Its a great fit for Dallas.

I too am going to be very encouraged by next years prospects. What they need to do with the draft picks they have and they will have some money they can take the next step. They should have a last place schedule (like Dallas has).
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

OUR WRs ARE HORRIBLE.

I'm sorry. I agree with you overall, but not on this. Our best WR is a glorified slot receiver with a gift for making clutch drops. DGB is a coach killing underachiever, and Agholor shouldn't be starting. You cannot get to the promised land with guys like this. You just can't. They need speed. On that I agree, but they need a couple guys on the outside that can play consistent, solid football, and make plays. Christ, Thrash and Pinkston were better than these guys.

Comment

Unfortunately I would say that the Cowboys, Skins and even Giants are all better than us. Being at home will help but we had a lot of injuries yesterday that didn't help things at all.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

DB is not the main priority, WR is.

And I agree with rspurr. We are banged up, and we are probably the worst team in the division.

I don't think many people here predicted us to win 10 games. Most people had us at 7-8 wins.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The WRs get no separation and even when they do they drop the ball. A speed with hands would definitely help all of them. One stud in the backfield would also help.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
              Unfortunately I would say that the Cowboys, Skins and even Giants are all better than us. Being at home will help but we had a lot of injuries yesterday that didn't help things at all.
              I don't agree, we played them all in their house, it took the Girls overtime to beat us, the Giants won on a mis fire by Wentz at the end of the game if he connects with Mathews they lose. The Redskins beat us but I would not call them better than the Eagles. In fact I think all these teams are pretty evenly matched. The records right now are a function more of the schedule and some luck than anything. The Eagles will beat all three of them at home, book it. Banged up or not.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I think Taz is right. We will win all 3 of these divisional games at home. The key to making the playoffs is going to be going 2-1 in the other 3
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  I think Taz is right. We will win all 3 of these divisional games at home. The key to making the playoffs is going to be going 2-1 in the other 3
                  I don't see it. Too many mistakes, and mental errors. Everyone has watched this team go 5-5 up to this point, and you think they're going to go 5-1 down the stretch?? It's possible, but I wouldn't book it, and I sure wouldn't bet on it. I'm thinking they go 3-3 and end up at 8-8. Maybe 4-2 to end up 9-7, given the home games.

I just don't think they're consistent enough to go 5-1 down the stretch, even if they are a lot better at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    I don't see it. Too many mistakes, and mental errors. Everyone has watched this team go 5-5 up to this point, and you think they're going to go 5-1 down the stretch?? It's possible, but I wouldn't book it, and I sure wouldn't bet on it. I'm thinking they go 3-3 and end up at 8-8. Maybe 4-2 to end up 9-7, given the home games.

I just don't think they're consistent enough to go 5-1 down the stretch, even if they are a lot better at home.
                    If we were healthy, I could see us going 5-1 to get to 10-6. Losing Mathews and Sproles for any length of time will really hurt us. If big V is out, we are really scrambling at o-line as well. When does Lane come back? We should have had him just take his suspension at the start of the year.
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post

Bingo!

This is not a playoff team, but frankly they may be a bit better than I expected them to be before game 1.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post

I'm encouraged and think next year with a different schedule this team is primed to actually go deep into the playoffs.
                        Looking ahead to next year's schedule we get the AFC West which has three good teams and the NFC West, which means Seattle and Arizona. If we finish last in the NFC East, we will likely get Chicago and either the Panthers or Saints.

We'll see if the schedule maker f'cks us with the bye weeks again. I really think that playing three team in a row after their bye hurt us. Dallas had more gas left in their tank in the 4th Q and OT than us. Giants could have been a different outcome as well. That is the one part of the schedule that never gets talked about.
                        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                          Looking ahead to next year's schedule we get the AFC West which has three good teams and the NFC West, which means Seattle and Arizona. If we finish last in the NFC East, we will likely get Chicago and either the Panthers or Saints.

We'll see if the schedule make f'cks us with the bye weeks again. I really think that playing three team in a row after their bye hurt us. Dallas had more gas left in their tank in the 4th Q and OT than us. Giants could have been a different outcome as well. That is the one part of the schedule that never gets talked about.
                          It seems like we have the same complaint every year. What's with that? Seriously, every friekin year. What are the odds?
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            It seems like we have the same complaint every year. What's with that? Seriously, every friekin year. What are the odds?
                            If it's indeed a trend and not just us being yahoos, Lurie needs to actually speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                              If it's indeed a trend and not just us being yahoos, Lurie needs to actually speak up.
                              Last year was ok, the year before we had 4 and it really hurt us.
                              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X