Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off the island
    Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
    Our home is in great shape. A few small plants uprooted. Lanai screening is still intact lol. What a week. On top of it all my MIL had a medical emergency last night. Had we rode storm out we would not have got to hospital. She is much better today. Odds of all of this had to be great. I'm feeling ecstatic right now

Ross, Where is your place?

I can't get any pertinent information on the status of the beaches in Pinellas Co as a mandatory evacuation moved all the people I know who live there year round and this morning the county Sheriff "closed the entire county until damage assessment and safety concerns are satisfied". So the return of the IRB residents I know has presumably been delayed.

We have reason to be optimistic, inferring from the public information that is available, but have nothing specific on Indian Rocks Beach or our small condo complex there.

Before Irma moved off the projected course and went inland at Naples, I fully expected at Category 3 or 4 to hit IRB and decimate the place. Feeling relieved this morning but still... anxiously awaiting news.

Comment

Authorities have allowed residents (only) to return to the Pinellas Co barrier islands as of 4 pm.
      Just got a call from a neighbor who lives in our small complex. Lots of debris on the complex grounds and no power but building itself is intact.

Dodged a BIG bullet!

Greatly relieved!

Hope the same holds true for you kyfred!

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
        Authorities have allowed residents (only) to return to the Pinellas Co barrier islands as of 4 pm.
        Just got a call from a neighbor who lives in our small complex. Lots of debris on the complex grounds and no power but building itself is intact.

Dodged a BIG bullet!

Greatly relieved!

Hope the same holds true for you kyfred!
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Come on kyfred, l make this a trifecta of good news.....
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
            off the island

Ross, Where is your place?

I can't get any pertinent information on the status of the beaches in Pinellas Co as a mandatory evacuation moved all the people I know who live there year round and this morning the county Sheriff "closed the entire county until damage assessment and safety concerns are satisfied". So the return of the IRB residents I know has presumably been delayed.

We have reason to be optimistic, inferring from the public information that is available, but have nothing specific on Indian Rocks Beach or our small condo complex there.

Before Irma moved off the projected course and went inland at Naples, I fully expected at Category 3 or 4 to hit IRB and decimate the place. Feeling relieved this morning but still... anxiously awaiting news.
            Lee County. Cape Coral. I'm still
            In Hickory NC waiting to head home. MIL ended up
            in hospital here. Doing better but still in hospital.

Comment

Sorry, been busy and not checked back. Everything is good. Island life will continue. Like everyone, I am very relieved. We are heading down in three weeks.

Comment

Good to here KY
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

This didn't happen to us thankfully. I'm sharing it here. These people are our neighbors. Seriously WTF is wrong with people?

This first hand account was written by one of the teachers at our high school, Island Coast High School, which was used as a shelter during IRMA -- stunning!

I've got to get on the soapbox... everyone has horror stories after natural disasters like a hurricane. I thought I had suffered pains over the 34 years I've been in Lee County and never evacuated for any storm
                  HOWEVER, if you've never been in an emergency shelter during one of these events you have no idea. It is truly the most surreal situation. Horrors, compassion, sadness, faith, disgust, and so much more all rolled into one.
                  Babies laying on the same carpet where dogs are defecating.
                  "Death rooms" having to be set up for those that are nearly dead or might run out of their life saving oxygen if the power goes out.
                  All calls for anyone with medical training because the city only sends 2 emts for 3600 people.
                  Diabetics panicking that their insulin won't stay cold
                  Smokers freaking out because they havent lit up in hours
                  Old men getting bit by a dog and developing an infection
                  A little girl getting bit by a monkey... yes, you read that right
                  People spitting out the hot meals being provided to them because it wasn't to their liking ( ps it is the food we serve our lcsd children everyday)
                  All calls for adult diapers because people didn't bring them
                  Buckets set up for elderly people who cannot make it to the restroom
                  Brawls having to be broken up over whose blanket goes where
                  Nervous breakdowns my almost every volunteer at least once
                  Principals of schools scrubbing toilets because there aren't enough volunteers
                  People stealing each others purses, bars of soap, and so much more
                  Refugees destroying classrooms by letting their children write on smart boards with markers and by taking posters off the walls
                  Artwork having to be removed from the school walls because people are so inconsiderate they are destroying it
                  A classroom being used as the designated pet poop area during the portion of the storm when we couldn't go outside
                  The bathroom floors covered in urine, someone deciding to wipe their feces on the wall of the stall, and used feminine products just on the ground
                  The smells
                  The sounds
                  Then when it's over they leave their stuff everywhere. No regards to the few teachers and staff who have been up nearly all night for three nights that have to clean up after them
                  You cannot imagine unless you've worked it or lived it

If you see or know someone that has worked in a shelter be sure to thank them.

Gators you need to give props to Bueno, McNeeley, Steele, Perez, Pearson, Santini, Carla Lewins,
                  Christy Spear Koller,
                  Ariadna Reis, Angela Higginbotham, Aaron, Linda Meyer, Allam Sanchez, Gwen McCoy, Deputy Orlando, Marlon Brathwaite, the cafeteria staff, Charlie Fields and her custodial staff, Coach Thimlar and his wife Shelley, David Bechler, and Denita Davis! If I missed anyone that I was there working and not just hanging out to ride out the storm I apologize!

Comment

This didn't happen to us thankfully. I'm sharing it here. These people are our neighbors. Seriously WTF is wrong with people?

This first hand account was written by one of the teachers at our high school, Island Coast High School, which was used as a shelter during IRMA -- stunning!

I've got to get on the soapbox... everyone has horror stories after natural disasters like a hurricane. I thought I had suffered pains over the 34 years I've been in Lee County and never evacuated for any storm
                    HOWEVER, if you've never been in an emergency shelter during one of these events you have no idea. It is truly the most surreal situation. Horrors, compassion, sadness, faith, disgust, and so much more all rolled into one.
                    Babies laying on the same carpet where dogs are defecating.
                    "Death rooms" having to be set up for those that are nearly dead or might run out of their life saving oxygen if the power goes out.
                    All calls for anyone with medical training because the city only sends 2 emts for 3600 people.
                    Diabetics panicking that their insulin won't stay cold
                    Smokers freaking out because they havent lit up in hours
                    Old men getting bit by a dog and developing an infection
                    A little girl getting bit by a monkey... yes, you read that right
                    People spitting out the hot meals being provided to them because it wasn't to their liking ( ps it is the food we serve our lcsd children everyday)
                    All calls for adult diapers because people didn't bring them
                    Buckets set up for elderly people who cannot make it to the restroom
                    Brawls having to be broken up over whose blanket goes where
                    Nervous breakdowns my almost every volunteer at least once
                    Principals of schools scrubbing toilets because there aren't enough volunteers
                    People stealing each others purses, bars of soap, and so much more
                    Refugees destroying classrooms by letting their children write on smart boards with markers and by taking posters off the walls
                    Artwork having to be removed from the school walls because people are so inconsiderate they are destroying it
                    A classroom being used as the designated pet poop area during the portion of the storm when we couldn't go outside
                    The bathroom floors covered in urine, someone deciding to wipe their feces on the wall of the stall, and used feminine products just on the ground
                    The smells
                    The sounds
                    Then when it's over they leave their stuff everywhere. No regards to the few teachers and staff who have been up nearly all night for three nights that have to clean up after them
                    You cannot imagine unless you've worked it or lived it

If you see or know someone that has worked in a shelter be sure to thank them.

Gators you need to give props to Bueno, McNeeley, Steele, Perez, Pearson, Santini, Carla Lewins,
                    Christy Spear Koller,
                    Ariadna Reis, Angela Higginbotham, Aaron, Linda Meyer, Allam Sanchez, Gwen McCoy, Deputy Orlando, Marlon Brathwaite, the cafeteria staff, Charlie Fields and her custodial staff, Coach Thimlar and his wife Shelley, David Bechler, and Denita Davis! If I missed anyone that I was there working and not just hanging out to ride out the storm I apologize!

Comment

It's amazing how fast society breaks down when any sense of law is around. Then as an ex landlord I've experienced that several times even in the very nice 4 family home that I used to rent out where people just lived like pigs. I remember hearing stories like that when Katina hit and they opened up the Superdome. Unreal and glad that you didn't have to experience that Ross.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                      X