Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like the No Fun League has struck again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the No Fun League has struck again!

This from PFT:

The National Football League is adopting a new policy regarding content on non-NFL web sites.

Such non-NFL sites may post no NFL-related video or audio of longer than 45 seconds. And the video or audio may be archived for no more than 24 hours. And the pages on which the video or audio appears must link both to NFL.com and to the official site of the team in question.

An industry source tipped us off to the existence of the policy, and Bill Emkow of Mlive.com has posted the full content of the letter.

The change only applies to sites that incorporate video and/or audio of practices, press conferences, interviews etc. Since we do none of that, it doesn't affect us at all. In fact, by limiting the sites that would otherwise go beyond the terms of the new policy, the revision indirectly helps us by giving those sites one less feature that would make those sites more attractive than sites like PFT.

The move will cause many in the media to conclude that this is the next step in the league's efforts to control not only the game but the coverage of it. There is already much resentment in the industry regarding the perception that the league is spoon-feeding news and information to NFL.com and NFL Network. With the new limitations on audio and video, fans will have to rely more and more on NFL.com and the official team web sites.

The NFL has every right to protect it's interests and those of it's 32 owners, but it would be nice if they weren't ALWAYS such obsessively controlling pricks in doing so!

What about the youtube highlights that are posted here every so often?

Comment

I know that some homemade vids that were posted on youtube were taken down because of stuff like this. Strange though, I mean, the EMB has a whole section that's dedicated to amateur video stuff like that......I really don't know where they draw the line.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

As I'm sure you are all aware the NFL Channel is being put into the Comcast sports package in June-- but this is a Comcast thing and not an NFL thing.

Comment

Maybe it's me but it seems like the NFL is becoming more and more greedy every day. I understand wanting to protect a corporate image but they seemingly want to control everything about the games and 9 times out or 10 it's from a financial POV first and foremost. Between the push towards higher ticket prices & fees and the ever increasing restrictions on game day behavior, they seem to be making a push towards more of a corporate fan who attends the games. (Of course that could just be the Eagles and not the NFL as a whole. I don't go to other stadiums so I only have the Eagles to judge by.) I really do think that they are creating a trend that will result in the fans eventually being nickle and dimed to the point where they give up on the NFL and focus more on college football.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Actually, from what I have read/seen/heard, it is all sports and entertainment in totum that is headed this way or already there...

Look at how the music business works with the record companies and RIAA running things...

Ditto for the movie industry...

Look at radio or TV...read up on the debates about the next version of the internet...

Sports is no different...the NFL has a very valuable and popular product and they will do what is necessary to maximize the return from that product via the marketplace...

I am a firm believer in capitalism and a free market...unfortunately we have never had either. It has always been a mixed economy based on general capitalistic principles, but infiltrated with government controls and thus patronage, corruption and monopolies.

The NFL is a monopoly IMO. If we had a truly free market, other leagues would already exist and thus anyone (including TV networks, cable systems, subscribers, advertisers) upset with the NFL could switch to their competition and thus the NFL would have to be much more sensitive to the market...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
              Actually, from what I have read/seen/heard, it is all sports and entertainment in totum that is headed this way or already there...

Look at how the music business works with the record companies and RIAA running things...

Look at radio or TV...read up on the debates about the next version of the internet...

Sports is no different...the NFL has a very valuable and popular product and they will do what is necessary to maximize the return from that product via the marketplace...

I am a firm believer in capitalism and a free market...unfortunately we have never had either. It has always been a mixed economy based on general capitalistic principles, but infiltrated with government controls and thus patronage, corruption and monopolies.

The NFL is a monopoly IMO. If we had a truly free market, other leagues would already exist and thus anyone (including TV networks, cable systems, subscribers, advertisers) upset with the NFL could switch to their competition and thus the NFL would have to be much more sensitive to the market...
              I don't feel like doing the leg work right now, but if your interested, there are exemptions in the anti-trust laws for professional sports.
              Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                As I'm sure you are all aware the NFL Channel is being put into the Comcast sports package in June-- but this is a Comcast thing and not an NFL thing.
                No, I blame the NFL much more then I blame Comcast.

The NFL is charging comcast more than HBO for the channel and expect Comcast to basically lose money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                  Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

I don't feel like doing the leg work right now, but if your interested, there are exemptions in the anti-trust laws for professional sports.
                  Good point...I am familiar with MLB's anti-trust exemption, but not the NFL...are the clauses the same?
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Doesn't make them any less a monopoly, just a legal one.

When Comcast enticed me to take their package, one of the reasons I did so was they offered the NFL channel as part of the regular lineup. When the TV I want goes up in price, I blame the merchant and not the oil companies, even though the oil companies increase was the proximate cause of my TV getting more expensive.

And while I agree that the NFL may have provoked Comcast -- this "particular" move was on Comcast -- since they had chosen to show it as part of their regular digitial package up til this point ... but the point is made that both are at fault. They get general increases from all of their production companies and they just pass on an increase in general rates from time to time -- they could have done the same here, IMO.

Comment

lief I have to agree with MD here the NFL is charing the same amount to DirecTV and they aren't charging an extra premium for the NFLN. Just one more reason to make the jump to better TV through DirecTV.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                        Doesn't make them any less a monopoly, just a legal one.

When Comcast enticed me to take their package, one of the reasons I did so was they offered the NFL channel as part of the regular lineup. When the TV I want goes up in price, I blame the merchant and not the oil companies, even though the oil companies increase was the proximate cause of my TV getting more expensive.

And while I agree that the NFL may have provoked Comcast -- this "particular" move was on Comcast -- since they had chosen to show it as part of their regular digitial package up til this point ... but the point is made that both are at fault. They get general increases from all of their production companies and they just pass on an increase in general rates from time to time -- they could have done the same here, IMO.
                        Comcast only offered it as part of the regular package because it was court mandated, they wanted this from the beginning and have now had a higher court reverse the original decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                          lief I have to agree with MD here the NFL is charing the same amount to DirecTV and they aren't charging an extra premium for the NFLN. Just one more reason to make the jump to better TV through DirecTV.
                          Too bad Direct TV sucks donkey balls compared with digital cable in terms of service, quality, and features. DirectTV is simply not an option for a large number of people.

And are you totally sure the NFL is charging Direct TV the same as they are charging cable companies. I thought I heard something about DirecTV getting it cheaper as part of the their deal with the NFL for the Sunday Ticket.

Comment

"Too bad Direct TV sucks donkey balls compared with digital cable in terms of service, quality, and features. "

Leif, that is a blanket statement. I can tell you that direct TV kicks the A$$ off the local digital cable supplier here. In service, quality, features, and price.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                              "Too bad Direct TV sucks donkey balls compared with digital cable in terms of service, quality, and features. "

Leif, that is a blanket statement. I can tell you that direct TV kicks the A$$ off the local digital cable supplier here. In service, quality, features, and price.
                              What cable company do you have there. Because I have had both Comcast, TimeWarner and DirectTV. DirectTV has way more signal problems, no OnDemand, etc., etc. Cable by it's very nature is going to have a better signal quality than satellite, it's simple physics.

A lot of the country lives in areas where you have poor sky exposure. Rain, falling leaves, etc. all constantly effect dish. Many people also live in apartment buildings that don't allow dishes.

Comment

Working...
                              X