• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dak situation could get interesting

Dak Prescott won't give Cowboys a hometown discount
    Jul
    7/12/2019 11:05:36 AM
    |More
    There has been a lot off press this offseason about the queue of young talent in Dallas-Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones, and others-waiting to get paid on their next contract. Prescott for one has made it clear he does not plan to give the Cowboys a hometown discount and believes there is going to be adequate money to pay everyone with the rise in the salary cap according to Jori Epstein of USA Today.

"For somebody to say you can only take so much because of the salary cap or you can only do this or that, I don't know how fair that is to say," Prescott said. "Because with gambling, with everything going into this league, everything is going to continue to keep going up. It's important for all these guys to get every bit of their worth. I want to see Zeke the highest-paid. I want to see Amari the highest-paid. I want to see myself up there. And I don't think any of that is too far-fetched. Because at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, a year or two later, you're not going to be the highest-paid. That's just the way the game goes."

Prescott is correct that the salary cap has continually increased this decade. Each of the past six seasons the cap has leaped by at least $10 million. This year it increased by $11 million to $188.2 million. With other potential revenue sources available in the coming years, the balloon could continue to inflate. But even with the ballooning salary cap, can the Cowboys really give everyone top-of-the-market deals or are some players either going to have to agree to team-friendly deals and/or leave for another team to get paid?

"I don't think it's fair to sit there and say, 'This guy can't get that because he needs the rest of the team,'" Prescott said. "The rest of the team can all get theirs with the way the league is trending."

Prescott himself has long been one of the biggest bargains in the NFL. A Day 1 starter ever since he was drafted in the fourth round in 2016 out of Mississippi State, Prescott is due to make $2.025 million in 2019 in the last year of his rookie deal - more than what he's made the past three seasons combined ($1.62 million). For context, that is less than league backups Chad Henne ($2.55M) Drew Stanton ($3M) AJ McCarron ($3M), and Nate Sudfeld ($3.095). The Cowboys have been in negotiations with Prescott on a new deal, but given his draft status, a contract extension could be tricky.

What it won't be is a hometown bargain if Prescott has anything to say about it.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Again just bargaining! He ain't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      Again just bargaining! He ain't going anywhere.
      I don't doubt that he'll sign MD. I just want him to take all the money so Dallas has to spend a fortune on him.

Comment

I hope it blows up one way or the other. If he gets five times what Carson got -- great. If Dallas tags him and he holds out -- great. Whatever brings Dallas down is -- great.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

This is great news- he demands to be one of the highest paid QBs, so he eats up a crapload of money, and he’s still a below average QB. Dallas will give him the money because he’s the best option they have. He’ll continue to lead them to first round exits or playoff misses which will drive the Cowboys faithful into a frenzy.

Get yer popcorn fellas

Comment

Any drama in their organization is fine with me.

As far contracts go I think that the NFL should eliminate the offset issue.

Comment

Everything is "bigger" in texas including Dak's perceived value. Let them pay superstar salary to a good not great qb.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                This is great news- he demands to be one of the highest paid QBs, so he eats up a crapload of money, and he’s still a below average QB. Dallas will give him the money because he’s the best option they have. He’ll continue to lead them to first round exits or playoff misses which will drive the Cowboys faithful into a frenzy.

Get yer popcorn fellas
                And it has begun:

Report: Is Zeke Elliott planning to hold out of training camp?

Comment

Working...
                X