Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corners

From a Philly Voice article...…

Jones will be one of the most interesting players to watch in Eagles training camp this year. He had a good spring, as he provided close coverage, but even in shells and shorts, it's obvious that he is often over-matched physically. He'll have his share of obstacles in getting on the field in 2019.
    Based on past precedent, Mills and Darby are ahead of Jones on the depth chart. Meanwhile, Maddox is clearly the better player at this time, and there's a strong argument to be made that Douglas is as well. Hell, even Cre'Von LeBlanc might get on the field before Jones if there were a need for a backup slot corner to enter a game.
    Depending on the health of Mills and Darby, it's not crazy to think the Eagles would be open to moving Jones to a team that is (a) in need of some help at corner, and (b) willing to be patient as Jones develops in the weight room.

The first six games will tell whether this was a busted pick. The Cowboys, and others, went after him like a plate of Memphis ribs last year. He had a lot if hype coming in but he doesn't look physical and in my mind he doesn't look fast. There are nine CBs on the roster right now and I am not sure Jones is better than Hawkins-- a guy torched last year. I know I'm hard on Jones because of his draft slot but he needs to show up or move on
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

What I don't get with Jones is how they say patience is needed as he develops in the weight room. Wasn't this guy sitting on the sidelines due to an achilles injury in his rookie year? Wouldn't he have had the benefit of working in the weight room to bulk up during this rehab? Either his frame won't allow for adding bulk or he just isn't committed to doing it.

With that said, I still think he has big potential and I'd hope they see how he does this year rather than cut bait. I also think with the depth at CB that Howie may do one of those training camp trades where we swap players (see Jordan Matthews/Ronald Darby).

Comment

He'll make the team anyway. I hated the pick when they did it and it really looks bad now. I think that they've got too much money tied up in him to cut him. If he was a lower draft pick I think that he would be one foot out the door.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

there is something to be said for being able to cover via quickness. especially in today's NFL where you can't put hands on anybody it seems.

i'm not ready to give up on the kid yet.

I will tell you this though... Douglass and Maddox are the long-term solutions at CB1 and CB2 here in Philly although I think when Jenkins leaves there will be a push to move Douglass to that spot because of his size and tackling ability. I'm not sure at 5-9 if Maddox can survive having to play the run like Jenkins does now. Maybe Mills can be the Jenkins/McLeod type of player long term.

Having this many talented guys back there is a good problem to have. If a contender loses a CB in the preseason I'd have no problem dealing Jones or even Le'Blanc for a mid round pick. Jones might get your more than you'd think because if he is past the foot issue there are teams I'm sure that had him highly rated and would want a shot at him with a third round pick. The issue is going to be with him you only have 2 more years to decide if he fits long term.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Depth at CB is extremely important. It's a passing league. We all know what it looks like when you have a bunch of injuries at one position. And, if that position is CB, you are fucked. I know they are carrying a lot of quality guys at the position, and if at all possible, I would prefer to keep every single one of them.

Comment

Heaven knows we saw a rash of injuries at CB last year but Jones didn't distinguish himself when opportunity was there. As I said Amari Cooper, along with others, ate him up. He has had plenty of time to learn the defense inside and out and he has had plenty of time to get stronger. I know he will be here unless they get a trade offer but if he can't crack the lineup at this point you can write journeyman on the back of his jersey
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Working...
            X