• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somehow this just isn't right

Golden Tate considering suing doctor who prescribed fertility drugs

Aug
    8/14/2019 2:42:12 PM
    |More
    Giants wide receiver Golden Tate says he is considering taking legal action against the doctor who prescribed him the fertility drug clomiphene, resulting in his four-game suspension, Ryan Dunleavy of NJ Advance Media reports.

Tate’s timeline of events goes like this: He took the drug (brand name “Clomid”), was randomly tested under the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy in April, was alerted to its illegality before the test results came in and self-reported usage to the authorities hoping for an act of leniency.

“Initially the doctor said it was not a banned substance. In fact, he had given it to other NFL players, which I trusted it and kept living my life," a solemn and transparent Tate said after Wednesday’s practice.

“I was out to dinner one night with a guy who works for me and we were talking about another player who got suspended for something completely different. A light kind of just went off in my head, ‘Let me call the doctor and make sure just to make myself feel better.’ I asked him what the active ingredient was, and we looked it up right then and there and sure enough it was a banned substance.”

Clomid is the same drug that caused former Colts star Robert Mathis to be hit with a four-game suspension in 2014. Like Mathis, Tate appealed and lost under the zero-tolerance policy collectively bargained with the NFL Players’ Association that states players are responsible for all substances in their body.

“I have no problem accepting the punishment,” Tate said. “Ultimately, I’m responsible for what’s put in my body. The tough thing I’m dealing with is I’m letting down a lot of people: My family, the guys in the locker room, the organization that brought me here. That’s what’s been crushing me."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I have no sympathy for him, whatsoever. The language is clear. You, as the player, are responsible. That means you look up the active ingredient before you take it. Not afterwards. You don't take anyone's word for anything. You do the research yourself, and make absolutely sure you're not taking anything banned. It really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      I have no sympathy for him, whatsoever. The language is clear. You, as the player, are responsible. That means you look up the active ingredient before you take it. Not afterwards. You don't take anyone's word for anything. You do the research yourself, and make absolutely sure you're not taking anything banned. It really is that simple.
      This!

Comment

Well I would think that if you turned yourself in that you could at least knock yourself down to 2 games. Who would think that you would need a steroid to get pregnant? It's not like the kid wIll be pounding weights in the womb.

Comment

I am not sure if he "turned" himself in. Read his statement carefully, IIRC it seemed that he was using very carefully worded statements. He said he notified the league after the positive result was "confirmed". Read it how you would like but I have the suspicion he isn't telling the whole truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
            I am not sure if he "turned" himself in. Read his statement carefully, IIRC it seemed that he was using very carefully worded statements. He said he notified the league after the positive result was "confirmed". Read it how you would like but I have the suspicion he isn't telling the whole truth.
            Yes indeed Vet. I read another article that said that he was notified that he failed a couple of days after he took the test. There's some BS in that story.

Comment

This makes me think of the issue Lane had. In his case he checked the NFLPA app for the product he wanted to purchase before he bought it. It said the product was fine and he took it. Turns out the app was wrong and the league basically said ‘F-off, you took it so you're screwed no matter what that app said.’ So if the league is gong to screw him over when the error was with an NFLPA created app, why would Tater think he could get a reduction by self reporting?
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
              X