Chip's version-Kind of funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip's version-Kind of funny

Chip Kelly wants to be "aligned" with front office with 49ers, does not discuss what wrong in Philadelphia

The big term during Chip Kelly’s introductory news conference as the San Francisco 49ers head coach was “football guy.” It was the way Kelly described himself. It was the way he described his new general manager, Trent Baalke. And Kelly emphasized that he wanted to be “aligned” with the front office in his job after he was fired from the Eagles.

“I want to thank Jeffrey Lurie for giving me the opportunity to coach there,” Kelly told reporters on Wednesday. “I left an organization that had great people, and meant a real lot to me and were really supportive of me, and I love the players I coached there. But when you have the opportunity to do it again, it’s, can you be aligned with the people who are running the organization?”

Kelly went 10-6 in his first two seasons with the Eagles. He was 6-9 when he was fired, and it came in a season when he was given full control of personnel decisions. Lurie said he wanted to hold Kelly accountable and he emphasized that the next Eagles coach needs “emotional intelligence.” Kelly said he spent the past few weeks analyzing what wrong, but he didn’t share what he learned.

“You self-scout after every season,” Kelly said. “I was in the process of that. And really, I don’t think it was a self-scout to me, probably, because I got fired. I look at it more of an autopsy. So, I’m in the middle of the autopsy now, still looking at it. Sent some toxicology reports out, and we’ll see when they come back, I’ll give you a full answer of what went on.”

Kelly also disagreed that there was a problem with the relationship he had with his players. He said he does not follow what’s reported in the news and instead goes on what the players say to him.

“One of the things that struck me when I left Philadelphia was the text messages and calls that I have from the players we had there,” Kelly said. “It really meant a lot to me. I’m not one who looks at what’s reported and what’s not reported. I’m a pretty black and white guy. And when I talk about the relationships I had with the players I had there and the many of them that reached out to me when this went down, I feel very, very comfortable with my relationship with my players.”

Kelly sounded like he was in the Eagles’ front office when he discussed a “collaborative” process in making decisions. Of course, the people with whom he’s collaborating are different. And it includes Baalke and Tom Gamble, both of whom Kelly has described as a “football guy.”

“I wanted to be in a situation where I can just coach,” Kelly said. “I want to just coach football. I’m excited about being with someone like Trent and Tom and the rest of the guys in the personnel department that when I look at this roster, again, three years ago this team was in the Super Bowl. And they have some outstanding players.”

Baalke will have control over the 53-man roster. Kelly had control of the 53-man roster all three years in Philadelphia, and he had control of the 90-man roster in his final season.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...jaliddaAzIC.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

“One of the things that struck me when I left Philadelphia was the text messages and calls that I have from the players we had there,” Kelly said. “It really meant a lot to me. I’m not one who looks at what’s reported and what’s not reported. I’m a pretty black and white guy. And when I talk about the relationships I had with the players I had there and the many of them that reached out to me when this went down, I feel very, very comfortable with my relationship with my players.”

Sound like he better call Ducky to do THAT autopsy. Seems he still might not get it.

Does he really think that players are gonna call him up and NOT say the right things?
    Does he really think that in a league where he may coach some of these guys again, that they will be honest with him if they have negative feelings?

Again it just doesn't seem he grasps that the NFL is NOT college, and players are not 18 year old kids playing with scholarships?

If he gets it at some point -- he might just be a good coach.

Comment

THe best thing that could have ahppened to Chip was a fresh start. He had already poisoned the well here. I think he will have learned some things, and I don't imagine he is going to have the issues with his GM that he had here. Chip mihgt actually have some level of succes in SF. Doesn't matter to me. He was not gong to succeed HERE, and that is why I am happy that we moved on.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
        THe best thing that could have ahppened to Chip was a fresh start. He had already poisoned the well here. I think he will have learned some things, and I don't imagine he is going to have the issues with his GM that he had here. Chip mihgt actually have some level of succes in SF. Doesn't matter to me. He was not gong to succeed HERE, and that is why I am happy that we moved on.
        Bingo.... but we will endure 437 Chip stories............................ just in the off season.

Comment

“I wanted to be in a situation where I can just coach,” Kelly said. “I want to just coach football. I’m excited about being with someone like Trent and Tom and the rest of the guys in the personnel department that when I look at this roster, again, three years ago this team was in the Super Bowl. And they have some outstanding players.”

This is the part that I hope Jeff Lurie heard because I think that this is how ALL COACHES FEEL. Harmony in the FO is a must!

Comment

So glad we don't play SF next year! It is interesting that he keep saying he just wants to coach. Sounds like he still needs to find the cause of death in that autopsy(ACCOUNTABILITY). We Eagles fans know Chip.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
              So glad we don't play SF next year! It is interesting that he keep saying he just wants to coach. Sounds like he still needs to find the cause of death in that autopsy(ACCOUNTABILITY). We Eagles fans know Chip.
              LOL. He skipped over that part!

Comment

probably won't be a shocker, but I agree with Chip on this

"And really, I don’t think it was a self-scout to me, probably, because I got fired."

how can he self scout at a place he was fired. Nobody gave him a chance.

1 year with full control and you're out

maybe Eagles ownership and front office should self scout

Comment

I don't claim to have any knowledge of the inner workings of Nova Care-- but it "could" have gone something like--- Chip sez he wants and needs full control if Lurie wants to see improvement.

Lurie sez something like you want full control? How long will you need for me to see improvement?

Chip Sez, 1 year, just give me 1 year with full control and we will improve!

Lurie sez, OK, I'll rearrange all this crap[, you bring in your guys (FO and Players), you draft, yopu let whoever you want to go or stay! BUT -- your out if this team doesn't improve.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sayin there could be many reasons to pull the plug on the "Genius".

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    I don't claim to have any knowledge of the inner workings of Nova Care-- but it "could" have gone something like--- Chip sez he wants and needs full control if Lurie wants to see improvement.

Lurie sez something like you want full control? How long will you need for me to see improvement?

Chip Sez, 1 year, just give me 1 year with full control and we will improve!

Lurie sez, OK, I'll rearrange all this crap[, you bring in your guys (FO and Players), you draft, yopu let whoever you want to go or stay! BUT -- your out if this team doesn't improve.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sayin there could be many reasons to pull the plug on the "Genius".
                    Could very well have happened that way but I'm just thinking Lurie saw the same shit that we did and said enough! He also said that he talks to the players and must have gotten an earful. Losing does that, especially getting destroyed like they did. That's tough to stomach.

Comment

Yeah, we didn't just lose, we got destroyed! By some of the dreck of the league. We gave up 40 or more points In Three out of four games. Has that ever happened before? Drubbings that bad in a short span? We were hideously bad!

I don't need some revisionist history down the road about how Chip had almost turned this thing around, given a little more time........ We were an absolute train wreck.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Screw off Chip. I hope you end up broke and living in a trailer in SE Oregon.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

good ole Philly.....

when things are tough, turn over the coaches

how's that been working for us?

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                            good ole Philly.....

when things are tough, turn over the coaches

how's that been working for us?
                            Dawk in this case I am not sure anyone is turning on the coaches but tuning out the BS. Chip didn't want to be held accountable on several occasions. He never explained his use or non-use of Murray. Said it was Deuce's call. (COME ON). Those losses to Tampa Bay followed by the embarrassment on Thanksgiving Day to Detroit and then another prime time game embarrassment at the hands of Arizona. Finally a third clunker at home to a Redskins team that wasn't any good. Chip stayed HIS course. Cutting Miles Austin wasn't the issue. Keeping Miles Austin was. The Tebow show over Tyrod Taylor a guy who fits YOUR offense perfectly! That's not the players. That's the coach!

Comment

I really think Chip got swallowed up by the size of the job in the NFL and brought most on himself by wanting to be in charge of everything. I think he may do very well in future HC jobs by remembering his lessons learned. If he didn't learn he will suck wherever he goes
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X