Foliage (way OT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foliage (way OT)

Does anybody have any yet? We usually get ours Columbus Day but we have next to nothing right now!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Does anybody have any yet? We usually get ours Columbus Day but we have next to nothing right now!

Really?

Strange.

We are at or approaching "Peak" in Central NY. The higher elevations in the Adirondacks, just to our North East, are at or just past "Peak".

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Really?

Strange.

We are at or approaching "Peak" in Central NY. The higher elevations in the Adirondacks, just to our North East, are at or just past "Peak".
      Wow, we're at nada. Tons of rain this summer I guess means that the trees just don't want to go to sleep?

Comment

my apple trees lost all their leaves. They also had no apples this year. We got a late spring frost when the buds were on though.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Spectacular day here today! 56, no wind and not a cloud in the sky! Terric football weather but still no color lol.

Comment

I played hookie from work today. Slept alot
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              my apple trees lost all their leaves. They also had no apples this year. We got a late spring frost when the buds were on though.

Bumper crop of apples on our one remaining tree (Macs) and a fair amount of leaves even though we've be at or just below freezing for the last 2 nights. The same is true locally...Bumper crop of all apple varieties.

BTW, Macs and McCouns were my favorite of locally grown apples (upstate NY) until I ate my first Honey Crisps about 10-12 years ago. If any of you guys like crisp, very juicy, sweet and just slightly tart apples and haven't tried a Honey Crisp, do yourself a goodie and try a one. They have become VERY popular and in demand and, consequently, they pull a premium price. IMO, they're worth it. Hands down the best apple I've ever eaten and, as an apple lover, I've probably eaten at least 30 different varieties.

Gorgeous day. Almost hit 60. Spent most of it on a scaffold on the side of the house finishing this years painting.

Comment

funny you say that tino. I canned applesauce and froze apple crisps on Tuesday using honey crisp and harrelred (sp?). My sister in law was here this afternoon and she and my wife were eating the crisp with ice cream. She is a believer that Honey crisp is the best apple also. It has become very popular in ND over the last 15 years also
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  funny you say that tino. I canned applesauce and froze apple crisps on Tuesday using honey crisp and harrelred (sp?). My sister in law was here this afternoon and she and my wife were eating the crisp with ice cream. She is a believer that Honey crisp is the best apple also. It has become very popular in ND over the last 15 years also

ND,

According to Wiki, turns out the Honeycrisp was developed right next door to you at the Univ of Minnesota back in the early 90s.

I assume you buy your apples at an orchard (or are you lucky enough to have your own Honeycrisp trees?). Assuming you buy them at an orchard, what do you pay for them

Comment

I'm not sure what they go for in the grocery as I have trees on the farm. I thought I remembered it was developed in this area, mainly a climate thing. Having lived in Plattsburgh for 6 years (83-89) I was surprised to see you mention the honey crisp. Apples were quite plentiful in NY and I didn't recall honeycrisp being one of them. I will try to remember to see what they charge next time I am in town.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I'm not sure what they go for in the grocery as I have trees on the farm. I thought I remembered it was developed in this area, mainly a climate thing. Having lived in Plattsburgh for 6 years (83-89) I was surprised to see you mention the honey crisp. Apples were quite plentiful in NY and I didn't recall honeycrisp being one of them. I will try to remember to see what they charge next time I am in town.
                      I wonder why they don't ship them down to our area. I don't live that far away from tino.

Comment

(Plattsburgh AFB, eh? It's close enough to Canada to use "eh?". Almost took a job near Plattsburgh when we first moved to New York in the mid 70's. The relative proximity to Montreal and some real good skiing in the Adirondacks and Northern Vermont were the draws. The job as a prison psychologist at Dannemora, not so much.)

"I have trees on the farm". I really envy you.

Our daughter, who lives near us and is also an apple lover, first encountered the Honecrisp on a trip to a local orchard and immediately turned us on to them. "Love at first bite", as the vampire said.

As you suggest, they were developed to thrive in climates with cold winters. My Son in Law planted several 4 years ago but thus far they have borne little fruit. I'm going to try with a couple next spring. We've decided to stay here in upstate NY, except for the winter months, as we've finally concluded we simply can't handle living in Florida year round.
                        I know I am a bit obsessive about Honeycrisps but they are quite simply a delight and, unlike many things I enjoy, they're good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I wonder why they don't ship them down to our area. I don't live that far away from tino.

Go to a local orchard and ask or ask your green grocer at the supermarket. I'd be very surprised if they're not available in your area. We can buy them at fruit stands in Florida in the winter so they're obviously shipped all over the place. They're best when they're fresh off a tree, like at a local orchard... or on Nodak's farm.

Comment

Honeycrisp apples go for $2.99/lb. here in South Jersey. I love them too but a close second for me are Jazz apples. If you get a chance, give them a try.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

We're finally getting a little turn of the trees but not much. My fear is that if we get early snow with the leaves on we'll have a disaster like we did years ago. It was a nightmare with loss of power for a week and the roads were closed due to power lines all over the place. We even lost cellphone service. It looked liked the whole state was bombed. That night sounded like we were getting shelled because branches were breaking and some snapping and landing on the roof. Brutal. It was nice fall weather after the storm but nights were really cold with no heat in the house sleeping in coats and gloves on. Not ready for that shit again!!

Comment

Working...
                              X