Week #1 vs. St Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week #1 vs. St Louis

Anyone else feel like we'll come out and lose this game because Andy Reid teams always come out in week #1 looking like crap?

I sure hope not - but I could easily see us looking lethargic all day long and McNabb throwing 21 for 44 for 241 yards 1 TD and us losing 23-20 or some annoying score like that.

I guess my point is - why do we almost always start the season like we're still in training camp?
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Re: Week #1 vs. St Louis

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
    Anyone else feel like we'll come out and lose this game because Andy Reid teams always come out in week #1 looking like crap?

I sure hope not - but I could easily see us looking lethargic all day long and McNabb throwing 21 for 44 for 241 yards 1 TD and us losing 23-20 or some annoying score like that.

I guess my point is - why do we almost always start the season like we're still in training camp?
    I'd lean on Westbrook heavily in week 1. Nothing like starting with a road grading and giving the ball to your best weapon. Fewer mistakes can happen that way.

Comment

Great point BP! I love how the Iggles usually finish up running on all cylinders but I hate that they usually come sputtering out of the gate. Is it camp, attitude, motivation???

Comment

I think they destroy St. Louis in week 1 and the Linc will be crazy.

Comment

Seen epeculation that Reid runs a very hard camp and it takes a while for them to catch up physically with teams that are fresher and less banged up coming into the season. Dunno, it's a theory. 2004 aside, we do seem to be chronic slow starters. Gotta be a reason.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Even thinking about that GB game in week 1 last year just makes me sick. How annoying was that game to watch? Ugh.

Can we just start out 4-0 in September and dominate everyone?
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

2000: 3-2

2001: 3-2

2002: 3-2

2003: 2-3

2004: 5-0

2005: 3-2

2006: 4-1

2007: 2-3

Pretty consistent overall, 3-2 or 2-3 in the first 5 games happening 6 out of 8 seasons.

Both the 2004 and 2006 teams started quickly.

One common element I noticed was an early bye week. From 2001 to 2005 & in 2007, we had the bye in week 6 or earlier. That sets up a tough run to play 10 or more games straight and then head into the playoffs.

In 2006, we had the bye in week 9, in 2000 was in week 16. According to this season's schedule, we have the bye in week 7.
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Nah, this game will be more like opening vs. the Texans in 2006 - Eagles will cruise comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                  Nah, this game will be more like opening vs. the Texans in 2006 - Eagles will cruise comfortably.
                  I was thinking along these lines as well.

Even with Jackson back, the Rams as whole are weak. Something like 24-10 or 27-13 is what it looks like to me. And Jackson runs a punt back.

Comment

I also feel the frustration of week 1. Not sure why they start out the season slow but week one hasn't been kind to them. 99-00 they went 3-6 in game one. Wins in 00, 04, and 06 against Dal, NYG, and Hou while the losses came against AZ, STL, TN, TB, ATL, GB in that order.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                      I also feel the frustration of week 1. Not sure why they start out the season slow but week one hasn't been kind to them. 99-00 they went 3-6 in game one. Wins in 00, 04, and 06 against Dal, NYG, and Hou while the losses came against AZ, STL, TN, TB, ATL, GB in that order.
                      Last year's loss was just a cluster-fu*&.

The ST's lost that game, and McNabb was still rehabbing regardless of what the talking heads at the Eagles front office said.

Comment

I think we almost have to come out strong this year, in years past we could start slow and still be in the hunt in the division but we cannot do that anymore.

I'm sure andy tries to start strong so I don't know what it is, in the past I think there has been maybe just a little overconfidence by the team in general, thinking they are better than they really are at times and having that 1 game is not a big deal mentality.
                        They need to realize we really are the underdogs and a slow start could kill the season.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan
                          Originally posted by IMK
                          I was thinking along these lines as well.

Even with Jackson back, the Rams as whole are weak. Something like 24-10 or 27-13 is what it looks like to me. And Jackson runs a punt back.
                          Don't sleep on the Rams, they had a ton of key injuries last year. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them win the West.
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Don't think the Rams are as bad as last years record indicates but I expect the Eagles to be ready to go right out of the gate this year.

Put me down in the W, by at least 10, column.

I also have always questioned the somewhat slow starts, always saying that it's how you finish, not how you start(maybe this was part of the problem).... but this year feels different. The division is better, the whole NFC is a bit better, I expect you have to play well ALL year this year.

Comment

Just to be sure that VFK wasn't being blinded by his green colored glasses, let's get even closer to the start of the season in our analysis:

2000: 1-2 first game W

2001: 2-1 first game L

2002: 2-1 first game L

2003: 1-2 first game L

2004: 3-0 first game W

2005: 2-1 first game L

2006: 2-1 first game W

2007: 1-2 first game L

They are 3-5 in opening games, and they often play like poop, even when they win.

They lost the opener three years in a row culminating in the disasterous start in '03 getting demolished by the Bucs and Pats at home.

Reid teams have performed markedly better in the second half of the season more often than not.

We have high expectations for this franchise (as they do, too).

I think these things have burned into our collective psyche the notion that they are notoriously bad starters, even though the W-L record indicates that they aren't all that bad.
                              Just worse than we want to see.
                              www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X