X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... What is your 2018

Draft grade?

I give it a A-/B+........

Based on the circumstances.... Being SB champs and all plus having limited picks.....I am very happy.

I love Goedert and how they appeared to go BPA through the entire draft. I hate throwing away the pick on the rugby guy though. He might make it as a TE I suppose but OT??? A snowball in hell has a better chance. So I rate this draft an A- despite my earlier tantrum (I never thought that Goedert would drop that far) but push it back up to an A when we outfoxed Dallas to get him!!
    Last edited by Eagle60; 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm not sure it can be graded but gun to head I would say C+. I will say it is tough to make a splash when coming in as SB champs with fewer picks.
      I really like the TE pick although I'd be surprised anyone else heard of Goedert before last week or has seen South Dakota State play or any MVAC games for that matter. He should be a good one though.
      I am intrigued by Maddox. Good corners are a commodity that you can't have enough of. I thought the birds were pretty well set but I think this is a future guy as in what is Darby's future and what is Mills' future.
      The DE Sweat doesn't seem like anything special but I have to defer to Joe Douglas. Sweat really didn't have rave reviews and the birds seem to be real deep already.
      The tackles are late round picks and an effort to find a future guy who may be able to be depth on the line. The rugby guy is strictly a flyer. Hasn't played a down of football. Big guy certainly but no one can realistically put him into the mix. Pryor may work out but he is a late round flyer.
      If Goedert and Maddox have a future impact I will be happy but I think UDFAs have as much chance of an impact as the last three.
      Last edited by NoDakIggle; 04-28-2018, 11:22 PM.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

This draft is even harder to evaluate than most, because we need to see what Balto’s second brings next year. That said, I would have been happier with no trade and Gesicki. I worry about Goedert’s speed and every catch being contested. We have that element with Alshon already. Seam splitter at TE would have been good. Fine with rest of draft, although we would have had an extra 5th sans trade. Guess I’ll be comparing Gesicki with Goedert for a while.
        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I liked it. Didn’t love it. No LB which is puzzling but oh well.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Goedert is a talent, someone here brought him to my attention early on. I like the pick a lot . Maddox seems to be someone they really like. Sweat I don't understand. Pryor started 46 games in college, that is a lot of quality reps. Hopefully he can stick around and be Seumalo's replacement as I have little faith he can do much more that be a jumbo lineman in short yardage. As for the huge Australian, he is a clean slate, hasn't learned any bad traits and hopefully can be molded into a good lineman. I give the draft a B, solid, but nothing jumps out at you.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

If Goedert can block, then I’m thrilled to have him and not Gesicki. Sweat might be a late camp injury this season, but will be contributing next season. Maddox is short and you can’t coach height, so I’m not sold on him. Though from all I’m hearing is he does everything well. The rugby player, I like the pick. He might not pan out, really how many 7th round picks do? I like the RB signing from ND. Then there is this take on our draft.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...5-0b9841915833

Comment

I give this Draft a Solid B. I like Goedert and Maddox, who will compete as the Nickel after losing Robinson in FA.
                Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I think it’s at best a B. Really hard to get an A with one pick in the first two days. The Rugby player was a waste of two draft picks. I mean if he is not there as a UDFA then pass on the hole,idea.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                    If Goedert can block, then I’m thrilled to have him and not Gesicki. Sweat might be a late camp injury this season, but will be contributing next season. Maddox is short and you can’t coach height, so I’m not sold on him. Though from all I’m hearing is he does everything well. The rugby player, I like the pick. He might not pan out, really how many 7th round picks do? I like the RB signing from ND. Then there is this take on our draft.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...5-0b9841915833
                    WHAT JOE DOUGLAS SAYS: “It’s going to be a transition for him. He’s never played American football. But he’s a guy that we feel has the makeup that we look for as an Eagle, and certainly has the athletic profile. Jeff Stoutland went down there (to Tampa) to work him out and couldn’t have been more excited.”
                    If Jeff Stoutland is excited, then I am excited. We can't keep everyone, that's a fact and IMO Adams sticks as an UFA.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I am going to break down my grade into each individual, but equally important segments:

The Trades: I love the Goedert pick! I have seen him listed in multiple rankings as the #2 TE in the draft. Landing him and still picking up a second round pick next year is a great job. Add in the masterful way Howie out manuvered and screwed over Jer-uh in his own building drives that pick up to an A+.

Risk vs. Reward / Aggressive Attitude: Maddox and Sweat are both players with big upside but also carry some real risk. Like Jones last year, if they pan out we will be extremely happy with them. Maddox is small but by all accounts he is excellent at what he does. I keep seeing the phrase ‘if he were taller he’d be a 1st round pick’. There is nothing we can do about his height but if he has heart then I’m sold on this pick. And Sweat is a knee injury issue, not a talent or skill issue. These are both the type of picks that a deep team with quality players already on the roster can afford to take. Mailata the rugby guy is another example of this at an extreme. He isn’t likely to make the team but they saw a big upside and rolled the dice with a 7th round pick. Is it a wasted pick? Probably, but all 7th rounders can been called a waste. We can’t take these types of chances two years ago - especially with Maddox and Sweat. This is another sign of the great job this FO has done. They may not pan out, certainly they all won’t, but the fact that we are able to take risks on high potential players is a great thing! I’ll reserve my grade on the picks themselves and hope we get 1 of the 3 as a future starter. But the fact that we are in a position to take risks and have a FO with the balls to do it earns another A in my book.

The Players: It’s not easy grading a draft immediately after it ends. Who can play? Who’s a bust? Who went early? Who was a steal? These answers can’t be attained for 3-4 years. Case and point; Agholor. He looked like a good pick immediately after the draft. For the next 2 years he was a bust who should have been cut and couldn’t be traded because no one would take him. After last year he looks like a great pick again and a solid player. I will say that given the information available at the time it looks like the Eagles attitude this year was different from previous drafts. They were far more likely to gamble on talented players with some risk, beit medical, limited experience or in the case of Maddox, height limitations. They had few picks and rolled the dice more often than not. So as I said above, I won’t grade the players since the attitude was what we should be focused on today. This draft represents a change in attitude in the FO and I think that is worth a conversation in itself.

David Akers rubbing our Lombardi in the faces of Dallas fans - in Dallas: A++++++. That may have been shorter with fewer profanities, but I loved it as much as Kelce’s “They hate us” speech!
                      Last edited by Jukin; 04-29-2018, 10:55 AM.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        I am going to break down my grade into each individual, but equally important segments:

The Trades: I love the Goedert pick! I have seen him listed in multiple rankings as the #2 TE in the draft. Landing him and still picking up a second round pick next year is a great job. Add in the masterful way Howie out manuvered and screwed over Jer-uh in his own building drives that pick up to an A+.

Risk vs. Reward / Aggressive Attitude: Maddox and Sweat are both players with big upside but also carry some real risk. Like Jones last year, if they pan out we will be extremely happy with them. Maddox is small but by all accounts he is excellent at what he does. I keep seeing the phrase ‘if he were taller he’d be a 1st round pick’. There is nothing we can do about his height but if he has heart then I’m sold on this pick. And Sweat is a knee injury issue, not a talent or skill issue. These are both the type of picks that a deep team with quality players already on the roster can afford to take. Mailata the rugby guy is another example of this at an extreme. He isn’t likely to make the team but they saw a big upside and rolled the dice with a 7th round pick. Is it a wasted pick? Probably, but all 7th rounders can been called a waste. We can’t take these types of chances two years ago - especially with Madden and Sweat. This is another sign of the great job this FO has done. They may not pan out, certainly they all won’t, but the fact that we are able to take risks on high potential players is a great thing! I’ll reserve my grade on the picks themselves and hope we get 1 of the 3 as a future starter. But the fact that we are in a position to take risks and have a FO with the balls to do it earns another A in my book.

The Players: It’s not easy grading a draft immediately after it ends. Who can play? Who’s a bust? Who went early? Who was a steal? These answers can’t be attained for 3-4 years. Case and point; Agholor. He looked like a good pick immediately after the draft. For the next 2 years he was a bust who should have been cut and couldn’t be traded because no one would take him. After last year he looks like a great pick again and a solid player. I will say that given the information available at the time it looks like the Eagles attitude this year was different from previous drafts. They were far more likely to gamble on talented players with some risk, beit medical, limited experience or in the case of Maddox, height limitations. They had few picks and rolled the dice more often than not. So as I said above, I won’t grade the players since the attitude was what we should be focused on today. This draft represents a change in attitude in the FO and I think that is worth a conversation in itself.

David Akers rubbing our Lombardi in the faces of Dallas fans - in Dallas: A++++++. That may have been shorter with fewer profanities, but I loved it as much as Kelce’s “They hate us” speech!
                        the only way Akers intro would have been better is if he had a John Facenda or James Earl Jones voice.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                          I think it’s at best a B. Really hard to get an A with one pick in the first two days. The Rugby player was a waste of two draft picks. I mean if he is not there as a UDFA then pass on the hole,idea.
                          1. Part of the consideration for a grade is what we had to work with going in-- they can get an A (if they deserve it) based on the picks they had, not the picks they "could" have had. IMM, that is really a false way of grading.

2. We do not know that he is a waste of anything yet-- you can not teach, Speed, Size or Strength--- will he make it? I dunno, but to declare him a waste is just way to premature, IMM.

Comment

Part of the way the FO discussed the end of the 2018 draft was to include Ajayi for a 4th, Bennett for a 5th

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                              Part of the way the FO discussed the end of the 2018 draft was to include Ajayi for a 4th, Bennett for a 5th
                              From Gowton:

But we have to remember why the Eagles were so limited on picks. Howie Roseman used them to acquire the following players: Carson Wentz (2018 second), Ronald Darby (2018 third), Jay Ajayi (2018 fourth), and Michael Bennett (2018 fifth). Those are some real important pieces.

We also have to remember the Eagles acquired Baltimore’s 2019 second round pick. Considering the Ravens aren’t some juggernaut, that could be a pretty decent pick. At the very least, Philadelphia will have three picks in the top 64 next year. The Eagles project to have 10 total picks in the 2019 NFL Draft after trading away one of next year’s sevenths on Saturday. Having those picks is important because the Eagles have a number of players who will be free agents after the 2018 season. Howie Roseman will need to replenish the roster while being tight up against the cap.
                              Last edited by Eagle60; 04-29-2018, 01:11 PM.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                              X