Jernigan back problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jernigan back problems

Tim Jernigan Injury: Eagles defensive tackle reportedly has surgery for herniated disc
    This explains things.
    By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 1, 2018, 5:45pm EDT

Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Tim Jernigan had surgery on a herniated disc this offseason, according to a report from SportsRadio 94WIP’s Howard Eskin.

Eskin notes the 25-year-old Jernigan is expected to make a full recovery but will not participate in the Eagles’ offseason program.

This news makes sense in light of Jernigan slowing down during the second half of the 2017 season. Here’s what we wrote about that earlier this year:

Review: The Eagles had high expectations for Jernigan after trading for him last year. Jernigan delivered on that promise early in the season. He was looking dominant early on. Then he started to slow down after suffering a foot injury against the Panthers in October. The Eagles didn’t sour on him, though. Instead, they signed Big Money Tim to a long-term contract extension during the bye week. The early returns on the deal weren’t great since Jernigan continued to be quiet. His playing time was even limited in some games down the stretch.

Outlook: One of the concerns about Jernigan coming from Baltimore was that he faded later in the season. Hopefully his lack of dominance in the second half of the 2017 schedule can be explained away by injury. Moving forward, the Eagles need him to be more like the player he was before he signed a big extension. If he can do that, the combination of Cox and Jernigan should be a great defensive tackle duo for years to come.

Here’s hoping Jernigan is able to stay healthy and continue to be the force he was early on last season. The duo of him and Fletcher Cox have the potential to be very disruptive in the middle of the defensive line.

It remains to be seen exactly when Jernigan will return to football. If Eskin is defining “offseason program” as the Eagles’ spring workouts, then perhaps Jernigan will be ready by the time Eagles training camp begins in late July.

Either way, it sounds like BMT should be ready by Week 1 of the 2018 NFL regular season, which matters most.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

ESPN (via Adam Schefter) saying he is out 4-6 months. Should be back sometime in November. Going to need him in the second half of the season.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Thought he had this awhile ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
        ESPN (via Adam Schefter) saying he is out 4-6 months. Should be back sometime in November. Going to need him in the second half of the season.
        If he comes back at all . If I'm him I'm done. I can't think of anything worse for your back than football!

Comment

Yup, it's souning more and more like he's done!

More details on Tim Jernigan’s back injury ... and his reworked contract
          Not good news.
          By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 3, 2018, 12:07pm EDT

Earlier this week, SportsRadio 94WIP’s Howard Eskin reported Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Tim Jernigan underwent surgery on a herniated disc. Eskin said Jernigan “will not participate in off season program,” which is a little vague, but now we have more specific details on his injury recovery timeline.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
          Eagles’ starting DT Timmy Jernigan underwent surgery on a herniated disc in his back last week and is expected to be out four-to-six months, league sources tell @FieldYates and me.

Yikes.

Four months from today would be three days before the Eagles’ first regular season game on Thursday, September 6. Six months would put Jernigan back in early November, which means he could miss the first eight games of 2018. That’s certainly worse than originally thought.

I’m no medical expert, but I do know that back injuries are no joke, especially for 6-2, 300 pound defensive lineman. The fact that the Eagles and Jernigan have to agreed to a reworked contract reflects the team’s long-term concern about the injury.

Field Yates

@FieldYates
          Another layer to this story: the Eagles and Jernigan have agreed to a reworked contract, in which the final three years of Jernigan’s deal are now option years with no guaranteed money. Philly will evaluate his health as part of the decision going forward. https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...63703024627713

11:37 AM - May 3, 2018
          169 people are talking about this
          Twitter Ads info and privacy
          Double yikes.

If you’re wondering why Jernigan would agree to taking a less favorable deal, here’s more information from ESPN.

The injury easily could have ended Jernigan’s time in Philadelphia, with the Eagles releasing him and declining to pay him being that he suffered the injury during an off-season workout in March. But in a generous gesture, the Eagles reworked his contract and now will pay him $3 million guaranteed this season, but no longer will be liable for the $11 million guaranteed that was due next season, as part of the four-year $48M extension he signed after being acquired in a trade with Baltimore.

Jernigan underwent the back surgery last week with Dr. Robert Watkins, per a source.

Under terms of the new contract, the final three years of Jernigan’s deal are now option years, with Jernigan scheduled to make $11M in 2019, $12M in 2020 and $12M in 2021, as was the case under the previous terms, however none of that money is now guaranteed.

With Jernigan expected to miss time, it’s good that the Eagles signed veteran defensive tackle Haloti Ngata earlier this offseason. He’s a capable starter, at least. The Eagles also have defensive ends such as Brandon Graham and Michael Bennett who can line up as interior defensive linemen.

As for the depth behind Ngata and Fletcher Cox, there aren’t a lot of proven players. Destiny Vaeao wasn’t anything to write home about as the No. 4 defensive tackle last year. 2017 sixth-round pick Elijah Qualls, an undersized player for his position, has a chance to step up. Aziz Shittu and Winston Craig are fighting for roster spots. The former is a dark horse to keep an eye on. It’s also worth noting the Eagles reportedly signed Bruce Hector as an undrafted free agent. He received $60,000 guaranteed from Philly, the most of any Eagles UDFA signing.

Hopefully Jernigan’s injury won’t end up being as serious as the Eagles may fear it’ll be. He’s only 25 years old and has a nice career ahead of him if he can stay healthy.

For now, this news is definitely concerning. Jernigan didn’t make a big impact down the stretch last season but he was an important contributor earlier on in 2017. Plus the Eagles’ depth will be tested even more now that his old backup, Beau Allen, is gone after signing with the Buccaneers in free agency.

Comment

DT Alternatives Still Available In FA:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphi...-agent-options

Hankins, Fairley, Cedric Thornton, Frostee Rucker, Jerrell McClain and Jay Bromley.

Bromley is 25 yo. Hankins is 26. These would be the first two I'd consider if I were the Eagles FO, assuming they're actually in the process of an active effort to strengthen depth while Jernigan is out...

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
              DT Alternatives Still Available In FA:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphi...-agent-options

Hankins, Fairley, Cedric Thornton, Frostee Rucker, Jerrell McClain and Jay Bromley.

Bromley is 25 yo. Hankins is 26. These would be the first two I'd consider if I were the Eagles FO, assuming they're actually in the process of an active effort to strengthen depth while Jernigan is out...
              I thought that Thornton was pretty good when he was in Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I thought that Thornton was pretty good when he was in Philly.
                I think he'd be a fit too. Because he's pretty much a run stuffer, I'm not sure Schwartz would want to pick him up though. But then again, Ngata is pretty much a run stuffer at this point too

Comment

I would absolutely look at another DT. Ngata is old, and Cox always misses a couple games. We now have 3 power backs in the division with Barkley, Elliott and Guice. Don’t know which way I would go, but that’s for Joe Douglas to determine. We will have a roster spot bc Jernigan will be on the PUP list for the first 8 weeks. Need to stop the run.
                  Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                  Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
                    I would absolutely look at another DT. Ngata is old, and Cox always misses a couple games. We now have 3 power backs in the division with Barkley, Elliott and Guice. Don’t know which way I would go, but that’s for Joe Douglas to determine. We will have a roster spot bc Jernigan will be on the PUP list for the first 8 weeks. Need to stop the run.
                    I don't know. At some point you have to look to your young players anyway. Other than McLain these guys are pretty much just bodies and I doubt that they want to spend that kind of money on him. Washington was giving him $4 or $5 million a year and let him go after one season.

Comment

Working...
                    X