How can anyone watching the Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can anyone watching the Playoffs

Not realize the formula for success comes down to two, possibly three things:

A) a dominant front four pass rush

and

B) an effective and consistent running game

and/or could be masked by

C) The best qb in the league that season, or a qb where you can include the phrase "greatest of all time".

Which two of those three things has the Eagles ever had in one season?

I guess Sanchez following up Flacco also puts another dent into the "you can't win with a rookie/first year starter at QB" thinking.

Comment

Agree... I would also add that while this doesn't hit you over the head quite as much how can anyone watch the playoffs and not see that big, rangy linebackers that are great athletes and know how to play football and be in the right place are a huge asset.

Minnesota - Greenway, Leber
      Jets - Harris, Bart Scott
      Ravens - Lewis
      Steelers (when they won the Super Bowl) Porter, Harrison
      Cowboys - Ware, Brooking

The Chargers have Merriman who I think is pretty good but aren't as good at their two ILB positions and that killed them.

The Birds have Bradley but absolutely must get a better SLB like a Greenway or Dansby or Ware that can be a factor.

I know people don't like Shawne Merriman for some reason but if I'm the Birds I offer the Chargers our first rounder for him if we think he can play the SLB position. He is only 25 and he is a friggin beast. 6-4... 265... does anybody have any input on this guy?
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
        I guess Sanchez following up Flacco also puts another dent into the "you can't win with a rookie/first year starter at QB" thinking.
        No rookie QB has ever started in, let alone won a Super Bowl. And really that's all that matters right?

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
        I know people don't like Shawne Merriman for some reason but if I'm the Birds I offer the Chargers our first rounder for him if we think he can play the SLB position. He is only 25 and he is a friggin beast. 6-4... 265... does anybody have any input on this guy?
        I like Merriman, but IMO he would be a DE in our system.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Consistent pressure and turnovers are key on D...but we already knew this before this playoffs

The run game, again, is important for balance (which is the real goal), but to score points consistently is the most crucial and the pass game works just as well if not better when executed correctly

Getting and building a lead is again also being shown as the right approach most of the time....
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

When Rex Ryan's Jets upset the Chargers, I found myself asking, "Why couldn't Buddy's Eagles do that?"
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Sure looke dlike Buddy's plan, didn't it? Harass them with your defense and keep yourself in the game, and look for your offense to just make a big play or two to win it.

It's gotten them this far, but don't expect them to win a title with that. Not yet anyway. They could use a little seasoning.

As to the thread above about rookie QBs...didn't Big Ben win it his first year? Maybe not rookies, but how about Brady? Wasn't it his first year starting? (My memory is getting shabby, so pardon me if I am mistaken)
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
                When Rex Ryan's Jets upset the Chargers, I found myself asking, "Why couldn't Buddy's Eagles do that?"
                Because Buddy never had a running game.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                  Sure looke dlike Buddy's plan, didn't it? Harass them with your defense and keep yourself in the game, and look for your offense to just make a big play or two to win it.

It's gotten them this far, but don't expect them to win a title with that. Not yet anyway. They could use a little seasoning.

As to the thread above about rookie QBs...didn't Big Ben win it his first year? Maybe not rookies, but how about Brady? Wasn't it his first year starting? (My memory is getting shabby, so pardon me if I am mistaken)

Yeah but Ben was awful in that game against Seattle.

Now, Sanchez, Flacco, Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh might never amass the number of wins that Andy Reid/McNabb have but I'm a little tired of the thinking that says there's no hope without Reid/McNabb. The fear of the unknown.

- Who you gonna get as a HC?
                  - McNabb gives you the best chance of winning.

1) Sure seems to me that there are some quality HCs coming up through the ranks. A new HC doesn't necessarily mean 1-15.
                  2) How do you know what Kolb is gonna do next year? (or the year after) Is it such a stretch of the imagination that Kolb could have a Roethlisberger/Flacco/Sanchez type year? Some of the QBs coming out of college are so seasoned that they can actually deliver in playoff games. Of course, you need a coach to protect that QB with a running game...

A lot of folks seem to think that turning over the HC or QB means a Detroit Lions type season. But why wouldn't the Eagles have just as much of a chance as any of these teams that made it far with a rookie HC and a rookie QB? (or sub in 2nd year for rookie.)

I'm prepared to go 7-9, 8-8, 6-10 if Kolb is at the helm next year. But watching some of these young QBs gives me hope that it might not be a rebuilding year.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                    No rookie QB has ever started in, let alone won a Super Bowl. And really that's all that matters right?

I like Merriman, but IMO he would be a DE in our system.
                    Good Post!

Comment

No rookies have ever started in the SB so far...two second-year QB's have, one that won (Ben Roethlisberger) and one that lost (Dan Marino).
                      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                        Despite the sarcasm, that's correct. SB or bust. Did I say we'd win the SB with Kolb? Or even the NFC? I said that it's not a given we'd have a down year.

Comment

Since when is Kolb a rookie QB anyway????
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                            Since when is Kolb a rookie QB anyway????
                            I'm pretty sure everyone is using rookie to mean "first year full time starter".

Stop being picky, Fresh!

Comment

Balto made the distinction, not me.

Comment

Working...
                              X