Harbaugh defends Reno; PFW calls Westy injury-prone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbaugh defends Reno; PFW calls Westy injury-prone

A very eloquent defense of Reno here, which I fully agree with. And look, someone else calling Westbrook "injury-prone." Alert VFK and MD!

Special-teams coordinator John Harbaugh must deal with the trickle-down effect that has come with injuries to CBs Lito Sheppard and Rod Hood, as it relates to Harbaugh’s choice for a kick returner. Following Sheppard’s injury, the team re-signed CB Dexter Wynn, who handled punt and kick returns in his first game in Week Two. Now the question becomes: Will Wynn keep either job, or even a roster spot, after Sheppard returns to health? Wynn is seen as a far better punt returner than kick returner, and Harbaugh told PFW that the KR job will be based on a “merit system,” but he also said that Reno Mahe, slowed by an ankle injury, will be back on PR duty when he gets healthy. “Everyone in Philadelphia thinks Reno is the ugly duckling. They just don’t want to like Reno, and yet he did lead the NFL in punt-return average (in ’05). First of all, he’s one of the most secure guys you are ever going to see catching the ball. And he ... just makes yards. He makes people miss; he breaks tackles. He’s not the fastest guy. I am not so sure he is going to score a touchdown, but he sure is going to get you yards. There’s something to be said for that.” The team would like to avoid putting injury-prone RB Brian Westbrook back on punts if possible.

While we're on the subject of whether Westbrook is injury-prone, it's worth noting that Spads thinks he is.

"Doesn't it seem like Brian Westbrook is so much better a player this year than he has ever been? I know he has been good in the past, but this year he is great. Absolutely dominating. I love watching the guy with the ball in his hands. He's dynamite. Just gotta stay healthy."
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Westbrook is not injury prone. He just gets hurt a lot. There's a difference there somewhere, but damned if I can tell what it is.

Comment

Ummm.. how did I get in the middle of a Westy is or isn't injury prone debate? Not one of my hot button issues,,,,, that I know of.

Fact of the matter is --- I think he is somewhat. Hey I'm just going by history, I hope he proves me dead wrong and plays 4 qtrs in all 19 games this year. But "many" (not all) RB's are somewhat, it's just the nature of the position.

BTW- your spads comment is wayyyyy out in left field-- you could make that comment about any starting player, you're really reaching with that one! EVERY player need to stay healthy to play at a top level!

Comment

And BTW-- I do agree with Harbaugh about Reno-- for a punt returner and back up WR and RB -- he ain't a bad #50/51/52/53 player to have on your team. Steady is good sometimes!

Comment

I have no problem with Reno back as a PR right now.

As for how MD got in the middle of the injury prone debate? Not sure - maybe it's because you started a thread with that debate in the title as well as a report citing him as such!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc

As for how MD got in the middle of the injury prone debate? Not sure - maybe it's because you started a thread with that debate in the title as well as a report citing him as such!!!
            I did? Well at least I'm consistent!

Comment

Reaching:

Reach with both hands to avoid twisting your back.

Do not reach over eye level. Use a sturdy stool to reach higher objects.

Organize your workspaces so that you keep commonly used objects between eye level and waist level.

Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                Originally posted by stevemc

I did? Well at least I'm consistent!
                Only if you were also Leonard Tose. Please disregard. I don't know what the F I'm talking about!!!

Comment

i was just being a noodge.
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                  X