Guess this is my new board, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess this is my new board, huh?

I spent less and less time on the "old" board, as it wasn't the same.

Glad to be here with some longtime friends, many of you guys were with me at Philly.com board way back in the day.

Here to talk football as always.

Andy Reid was taught a valuable lesson last year. After years of getting smacked around by the Eagles, the other teams in the NFC East adapted and built their teams to cope with what the Birds did best--throw the ball on O, and rush the passer in blitz looks on D. All 3 East teams went to alot of max pro looks to beat us up top, and on D, disregarded the running game and put a premium on hitting McNabb.

Reid is not dumb. And Marty M. with the 49ers ran a high potency O that ran well and kept teams off balance.

So Reid counterpunches. He says this offseason--fine, NY, Dallas and Washington want to run the ball on O, and wear down our "smallish" front 7. Enter a great 2 way DE in Howard, whom plays near 280 lbs., a monster DT in Bunkley, and a potential future starter at SAM that goes 265.

On O, he gets Justice, resigns Runyan, drafts Gilles, has Tra on the mend, and adds that to a huge, young OL. Sure looks like they are mounting up for alot more runs in 2006. Forget the "big back" stuff for 1 minute. How much bigger is Tiki than Westy? Moats runs hard between the tackles, and Perry runs hard and has a little more size too.

I ask you: if teams can't "run" on Philly, and face more 3rd and longs, THAT opens up more avenues for JJ. Teams were not even facing 3rd downs much earlier in the year, it was so bad.

Run the ball. Stop the run. We've heard that before. But its a football cliche because its true. I think more than run the ball as a key is to DOMINATE the line of scrimmage, both on O aned D. Then you can wing it down the foeld for big chunks of yards. I see the potential for the O and DL being the best in the division, which goes along way to finishing first.

TO didn't help us much early last year when McNabb was on his back. Tiki rarely breaks his long runs on "known" running downs, he does his work as a cutback runner when only 7 are in the box and he makes someone miss at the LB level and is off to the races. Brunnell has to be "hidden" behind alot of runs. And if he drops back too many times, he'll break down. They babied him last year. They can't use Moss, Lloyd and Randle El at the same time without exposing Brunell to kill shots off the edge. Their big plays last year were in only sending out 1 or 2 men, and keeping in the hiuse to block. Now they will be the '99 Rams? LOL.

Damn it's good to have you on board (pun intended) JRJ!!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Damn it's good to have JRJ here.

He just pulled a Ricky Jordan with that post. (You smart guys figure it out.)

Comment

JRJ I agree with most of what you've said. I think Reid has done an outstanding job for the most part this off season. I'm not as concerned with the "big power back" as I am with an effective blocking full back. We haven't been able to replace Ritchie and I think we need too. Hopefully this year Tapeh and Parry get it together (no idea if Jason Davis is going to be able to do the job. I really don't know much about the kid before they drafted him). Anyway the FB has to do a better job blocking this year to take advantage of the improvements on the Oline and help Westy and McNabb be more effective.

The other position I'm concerned about is the ever troubling WR position. Losing TO is a plus for this team 6 days a week, but we need his talent on that 7th day. I wish Reid had gone after Moulds even for 1-2 years to allow Brown to grow into the #1 role. I absolutely love the addition of Gafney, but he isn't going to replace TO any time soon.

Other than those concerns I think the FO did a great job of getting us ready to reclaim the NFC East. Fraley is somewhat of a concern but Jackson should push him to improve or push him out and there is enough extra beef and power on the Oline to ensure that someone is ready to step up and take over if needed.

The best moves though have to be on the D. I can't wait to see how teams struggle with Howard and Kearse. Man it makes me giddy thinking about the way the boys in Green are going to terrorize Offensive coaches this year. Andy is shoving back and shoving hard!!! It's gonna be awesome to watch this year.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Great to se your face in the place, JRJ. Wouldn't be right without ya.

As for your post, we've said all this before. We have had what SHOULD have been a big and imposing OL for years, the problem is we haven't utilized it enough, IMO. I am confident that the DL is going to show improvement, but we will only get maximum benefit out of this massive O ine if Reid dedicates himself to the run game more.....and doesn't get trigger happy if things aren't starting off great with the run. STICK WITH IT!!!!!!!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

JRJ I don't know your background but I've learned a ton from your breakdown work and am pumped you're onboard. Major free agent signing for us!
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Welcome home old guy!

Comment

Welcome JRJ. It's sure is nice to have you here.
                FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

JRJ While I agree with most of what you say,,, IMO i think both the Boys and the Skins got lucky last year in that both those QB's were able to play all year. And both,IMO, are do to a severe wake up call this year.

Manning still has to prove to me that he is even close to his brother.

I think the division is ours for the taking---- with health!~

Comment

Big Guy, JRJ is a .... cough .... cough...... a man with a law degree.

That D-line is going to be the bomb. They are going to throw so many different looks at the O-lines and they are going to have so many fresh legs in the second half with the rotatiions, that they are not going to slow down. The key is going to be the linebackers. If they do their job, this D is going to be the best in the leauge. So, I think the development of McCoy and the return to 04' form of Jones are the most important issues for the D. I have no idea as to how good McCoy can be, but I do know that Jones played really well in 04'. So, I have faith.
                    Pedro

Comment

Welcome aboard JRJ
                      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
                      X