Nnamdi "wanted to play in Philadelphia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nnamdi "wanted to play in Philadelphia"

So says Peter King, quoting league sources: http://peterking.si.com/2011/07/29/e...-jets-cowboys/

Now why would that be? Why are the Eagles such an attractive FA destination?

It helps that they are in the hunt every year, but you can say that about other teams. What separated the Eagles here?

My hunch is Vick. The man is a golden god among NFL players. What the Eagles did in reaching out and rehabilitating Michael Vick has paid all kinds of dividends, IMO.

I think Big Red to a lesser extent is also part of it. Players seem to love to play for him. The whole QB incubator he and Marty have set up has paid huge dividends for this franchise.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
    So says Peter King, quoting league sources: http://peterking.si.com/2011/07/29/e...-jets-cowboys/

It helps that they are in the hunt every year, but you can say that about other teams. What separated the Eagles here?

My hunch is Vick. The man is a golden god among NFL players. What the Eagles did in reaching out and rehabilitating Michael Vick has paid all kinds of dividends, IMO.

I think Big Red to a lesser extent is also part of it. Players seem to love to play for him. The whole QB incubator he and Marty have set up has paid huge dividends for this franchise.
    This is crazy ... I came on here with the intention of posting many of the same thoughts you had LT. I was going to focus more on Reid -- the guy gets skewered but it's hard to argue that he hasn't been a stabilizing (if not sometimes infuriatingly stable) force for this franchise.

He's got his issues - isn't probably among the best game-day coaches, struggles in time mgmt, maybe doesn't always handle the aging vet issues perfectly, etc. -- but there's a reason why teams like WAS, Detroit, Kansas City, Denver, whoever...have struggled for such a long time.

Guaranteed at some point this season, people will be calling for AR's head. Probably several on this board. But we will miss him when he's gone...dearly.

And yes, I do think Vick is having a positive impact on players wanting to be here. He's already won guys over with his ridiculous athletic ability, but it really seems he's a changed man. That's got to matter to some of these free agents.

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
      And yes, I do think Vick is having a positive impact on players wanting to be here. He's already won guys over with his ridiculous athletic ability, but it really seems he's a changed man. That's got to matter to some of these free agents.
      Dunno, Vick was very popular among players before everything happened -- I think it's given Reid an added amount of respect around the league, which helps, but I think a lot of players simply do just want to play with Vick. Vince Young probably came because of some of both... we'll see if that's a good thing or not. We will also see about Vick... teams came up with the blueprint against him the last 3 or so games (starting with most of the Giants game), and he'll have to adjust to that now. Hopefully he can.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post

Yes, the Vick factor is something that's been a tad understated IMHO. It seems like everyone wants to come here now because of Vick. Can't put a price tag on that! Can't think of many other players in the NFL who have drawn that kind of attention from fellow players around the league.

Also, Nnamdi is apparently good friends with D-Jax, so that may have had quite a bit to do with it.

Comment

Eagles have always been one of the top destinations...read some articles yesterday on this topic and the consensus was:

1. Quality organization from top to bottom, well run, treat their people well, good rep with agents/players (remember relations with CAA helped the NNamdi deal happen)

2. Priority on winning, players want to win rings and Eagles want players who want rings...demonstrated record of consistent success shows players they have a good chance to win here

3. Focus on teaching, this has been one of Reid's hallmarks from Day 1--Castillo, JJ, Childress, MM, Washburn, Mudd, Harbaugh, April, Spags, Frazier et al. are all good teachers of football skills/knowledge and either helped set this foundation or were groomed on that foundation....QB development stands out, but we're good in alot of other areas as well. Players WANT to learn, be given instruction, to do things RIGHT. Thats very attractive.

4. Vick definitely has an impact, VY best example, but Vick learned from McNabb (also a pretty good role model) and is loved around the league and the Eagles are given credit by the players for giving him a chance and getting him back on track.

5. Fans, facilities, city, division....lets be honest the fans of our team are awesome, pack the stadium every week, travel well for road games and support the squad thru thick & thin. Players respect and like that. Some exceptions, but overall the fans, city have a good rep; facilities are second to none and the chance to perform in the NFC East is a thrill...
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I can see whee OFFENSIVE players would be greatly affected by the opportunity to play with Vick, but defensive guys? not so much.

No, I think that has more to do with the reputation that Reid and this Eagles franchise has established over the last decade. I do think players like to play for Reid, and that word gets around. And then you add in the fact that they are cosistently contenders, and have a new stadium and state of the art facilities, along with a passionate and supportive fan base, and Philly is a pretty attractive place to play.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

VFK, you and I hit on a lot of the same reasons. Enjoy being right for a change.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

fwiw, Vince Young just said that Andy was the big reason he wanted to come here.

Good points VFK regarding the fans. Kind of like Cliff Lee ... wouldn't you rather play in a city where there was an extra 2 or 3 levels of excitement?

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                  VFK, you and I hit on a lot of the same reasons. Enjoy being right for a change.
                  It happens infrequently, Fresh, so yes I will bask in the sun a bit on this one...

I'll add in a small (yea right) factor as well....Eagles are willing to pay for elite talent and pay well. $$$ plays a huge part in these decisions as we all know. Eagles, even though they are selective, are usually involved in FA discussions and as Mike Florio said recently used by agents alot to show their clients are generating interest...

Two others just sprang to mind....related to the above point, players/agents know the Eagles understand and can evaluate talent really well and have a good rep for knowing "quality". If you are given kudos by the Eagles, other players/agents hear that and your own stature rises...

The other is the Eagles are well respected by the media and by other teams....Wisenhunt commented yesterday that a big part of his decision to trade for Kolb derived from multiple conversations he had with Reid and how glowily Reid spoke about Kolb as a person, player and teammate. Reid is known as a stand-up guy and his word carries weight (pun intended) around the league and in the media.

Pats and Steelers are examples of otther organizations that have similar "gravitas" around the league. Irvin on NFLN said it best yesterday (even though I detest him): "That (the NNamdi & VY pickups) is the difference between good and great".
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    I can see whee OFFENSIVE players would be greatly affected by the opportunity to play with Vick, but defensive guys? not so much...
                    Actually, Babin said Vick was a big reason he came here. It's an angle that I hadn't considered, but it makes a LOT of sense. Here's the exact quote from his presser this morning...

I wanted to go on a team that was not only winning, but had a high-powered offense. From a selfish and D-lineman point of view, if your guys are scoring points and you have [QB Michael] Vick and all the other weapons in the backfield and the wide receivers, you're going to have to score a lot of points. The other team is going to have to throw the ball a lot to catch up, but guess what? We can rush the passer all day and be just like [Colts DEs] [Dwight] Freeney and [Robert] Mathis. That was another big incentive for me."

Comment

I guess the "rainy day" finally came! I just hope DJ isn't stewing out in California thinking "where's mine".
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I guess the "rainy day" finally came! I just hope DJ isn't stewing out in California thinking "where's mine".
                        His piece of the pie is getting smaller ,would the Eagles do all this to spite DJAX ?Basicly saying "hey kid we stepped up to prove we mean business, now get to camp and stfu and play ball"
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          His piece of the pie is getting smaller ,would the Eagles do all this to spite DJAX ?Basicly saying "hey kid we stepped up to prove we mean business, now get to camp and stfu and play ball"
                          So this is all that needed to happen for them to sign all the best players? Get them to do it to teach their star receiver a lesson?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                            So this is all that needed to happen for them to sign all the best players? Get them to do it to teach their star receiver a lesson?
                            They have to spend 90% of the cap,but spending a little xtra and having Joe say they still have room to add more as the cash keeps going away could be a message . No? I have a sickening feeling they may be satisfied to move on and let him sit at home,so stfu,be a man and get to camp.
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Well, not knowing what is going on with Maclin, I am getting real nervous about Desean and our WR situation. A strength could become a weakness real quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X