Ballsy moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballsy moves

First year coach that someone ranked at the bottom of NFL coaches. Personally, s they can say what they want about Doug but he is showing a willingness to make ballsy moves. He may turn out to be crap but I'm good with he and Howie so far.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
    First year coach that someone ranked at the bottom of NFL coaches. Personally, s they can say what they want about Doug but he is showing a willingness to make ballsy moves. He may turn out to be crap but I'm good with he and Howie so far.
    I wonder how much say Doug has in all of this??? I wonder if Doug can even pick his own roster? Sometimes that's the GM's call to in some organizations. I don't mean to rain on your parade here ND, but with Doug being so new he probably doesn't have much clout until game day, and I suppose playing Wentz might come from Howie and Jeff too.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree 60 that they have a whole lot of the say. But Doug assembled a pretty good staff. He ran a pretty good camp from all accounts. They went through four pre-season games (I know full well it is preseason) and he hasn't looked like a dumbass from the hills. And I think he had to have some say in the trade. Now I full well believe Howie and Jeff were the final say but I think Doug makes himself known. I don't think there is any evidence he was brought in as their personal whipping boy
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
        I agree 60 that they have a whole lot of the say. But Doug assembled a pretty good staff. He ran a pretty good camp from all accounts. They went through four pre-season games (I know full well it is preseason) and he hasn't looked like a dumbass from the hills. And I think he had to have some say in the trade. Now I full well believe Howie and Jeff were the final say but I think Doug makes himself known. I don't think there is any evidence he was brought in as their personal whipping boy
        I flipped out when Doug tried to hire Segrest! Thank the Lord that didn't work out!!! You're right as usual ND in that he looks like he hired a great bunch. I wonder why Schwartz decided to come here? I would think he could have picked his spot just about anywhere after he decided to coach again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          I flipped out when Doug tried to hire Segrest! Thank the Lord that didn't work out!!! You're right as usual ND in that he looks like he hired a great bunch. I wonder why Schwartz decided to come here? I would think he could have picked his spot just about anywhere after he decided to coach again.
          You do see our talent on the DL, don't you? We actually had quite a bit; a good situation for a DC if we could plug some other holes. He just has to use them better than Billy Davis, and is also not hamstrung by a Chip Kelly offense. A good DC can easily make it look like a big turnaround, which is what you'd want.

I'm not sure that Doug really had anything to say about this move. I can't imagine a first-year coach would be all that thrilled about losing his starting QB the week before the season -- it's going to cause a lot of disruption. Unless he was really gung-ho about Wentz and wanted to play him this season. The other benefits are all about next year, and those are in Howie's area, and those were too good to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
            You do see our talent on the DL, don't you? We actually had quite a bit; a good situation for a DC if we could plug some other holes. He just has to use them better than Billy Davis, and is also not hamstrung by a Chip Kelly offense. A good DC can easily make it look like a big turnaround, which is what you'd want.

I'm not sure that Doug really had anything to say about this move. I can't imagine a first-year coach would be all that thrilled about losing his starting QB the week before the season -- it's going to cause a lot of disruption. Unless he was really gung-ho about Wentz and wanted to play him this season. The other benefits are all about next year, and those are in Howie's area, and those were too good to pass up.
            Two things FO. Yes I do see a lot of talent on defense but our offense will again have a ton of 3 and outs that will once again wear on them. I'm not totally sold on our CBs either and LBs are again (as they've been for the last decade) the weak link on that side of the ball. DCs want a good offense and a chance too win too you know.

I don't care who you are or how young your team is if you don't win at least 6 games the fans will be screaming for your head.
            Last edited by Eagle60; 09-04-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Doug's father passed away Friday and he had to leave before all this was finalized. Howie made it sound as though the entire staff was involved throughout the process
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

First off my condolences to the Pederson family and to Doug. Losing a parent no matter what age is never easy.

I have to say this

We are functioning like a normal organization now. Decisions are not made in a bubble. Input is being gathered at every level before any move is made. Even though Howie has final say, I believe it may be more of a rubber stamp than we believe. If your Pederson you want Wentz starting he is your guy. It gives you time to bring along the entire team. There is no pressure to win now and develop the future at the same time. Which by the way never works. If your Lurie you just invested so much in Wentz you want to see the guy play and grow. In other words I don't think there were any dissenters in the room. Especially for what they got back
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  First off my condolences to the Pederson family and to Doug. Losing a parent no matter what age is never easy.

I have to say this

We are functioning like a normal organization now. Decisions are not made in a bubble. Input is being gathered at every level before any move is made. Even though Howie has final say, I believe it may be more of a rubber stamp than we believe. If your Pederson you want Wentz starting he is your guy. It gives you time to bring along the entire team. There is no pressure to win now and develop the future at the same time. Which by the way never works. If your Lurie you just invested so much in Wentz you want to see the guy play and grow. In other words I don't think there were any dissenters in the room. Especially for what they got back
                  I'm not convinced Doug is that thrilled about it because every coach wants to win and keep their job. Two five win seasons in a row and he's gone.

Comment

Doug picked this kid. He didn't pick Bradford. He is a first year head coach that can go 3-13 and not have a single upset fan as long as it looks like WentZ is progressing. Trust me he is fine with this.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

3-13 watching Wentz develop will be more enjoyable than watching Sam play and end up 8-8. Knowing next season we would get to watch Wentz start his development. Glad to be getting on with the future right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                        3-13 watching Wentz develop will be more enjoyable than watching Sam play and end up 8-8. Knowing next season we would get to watch Wentz start his development. Glad to be getting on with the future right now.
                        Couldnt have said it better myself. Time to order a Wentz jersey!!!!
                        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Might want to wait until his first actual game or two, rspurr!

Anyway, I don't know how involved Doug is in the personnel moves.....not much I suspect.....but I will say that as a coach he seems to be doing a pretty good job of have his team prepared and not looking like a bunch of keystone cops out there on the field. They seem generally pretty disciplined....the talent is what it is, which is meager. But how many foulups have we seen with procedure, in and out of huddle F-ups, etc. not many at all. And for a first year coach, that is pretty impressive.
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                            Might want to wait until his first actual game or two, rspurr!

Anyway, I don't know how involved Doug is in the personnel moves.....not much I suspect.....but I will say that as a coach he seems to be doing a pretty good job of have his team prepared and not looking like a bunch of keystone cops out there on the field. They seem generally pretty disciplined....the talent is what it is, which is meager. But how many foulups have we seen with procedure, in and out of huddle F-ups, etc. not many at all. And for a first year coach, that is pretty impressive.
                            Exactly the way I feel! Peterson has been impressive thus far - he seems to have the same organizational skills as his mentor, Andy Reid.
                            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

That's certainly true, and the ball seems to get snapped with time on the clock. I haven't seen a delay of game penalty yet but I missed a couple of games.

Comment

Working...
                              X