AP Images
    Jeff Lurie not giving up on kelly green jerseys

By Dave Zangaro | NBC Sports Philadelphia March 27, 2018 6:30 PM

Facebook

Google

Twitter

Email

23 Comments

ORLANDO, Fla. — Eagles owner Jeff Lurie hasn’t given up on his quest to bring back kelly green jerseys.
    Things are just at a standstill on that front right now.
    “I was just dealing with this yesterday,” Lurie said on Tuesday evening at the NFL’s annual meetings. “What we’re hoping to have happen ... the whole key is we want a kelly green helmet to go with the kelly green jersey. We’re trying to get the league to allow a second helmet. That’s where it’s at. They very much know we want this and we want it badly. We’re waiting.”
    Over the last year or so, Lurie hasn’t been shy about his desire to bring back the fan favorite jerseys as alternates. Before last owners meetings, the Eagles proposed a rule change that would allow teams to wear multiple helmets. They later withdrew the proposal at the suggestion of the competition committee, but Lurie’s resolve to get it done hasn’t wavered.
    As recently as September, Lurie expressed hope that the rule would be changed in time for the Eagles to wear kelly green alternate jerseys as soon as 2018. While it seems unlikely that will get done, he hasn’t given up hope about possibly wearing them next season.
    “I don’t know,” Lurie said. “As I said, I was on it yesterday and trying to make progress. We don’t have a game for half a year, so you never know.”
    Right now, league rules prohibit players from using multiple helmets and a midnight green helmet atop a kelly green jersey is a fashion faux pas even the least style-conscious person could recognize. The alternative would be to use decals over the existing helmets, but Lurie has previously said he doesn’t want to go that route.
    Lurie said the ultimate decision would probably have to come down from commissioner Roger Goodell, but continued to remain vague about why there’s opposition to changing the rule, saying there are “complications” that need to be sorted.
    “They have to decide, do they want to go to a plan that would be a two-helmet plan for the NFL?” Lurie said. “That’s not what we do now, it’s a one-helmet league. There’s ramifications in that, I suppose. They know that with the Eagles, it’s important to us. We really want to be able to have kelly green jerseys at time and to make it look really right, you have to have matching helmets.”

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I appreciate what he's trying to do but really don't understand his sudden desire for fashion. This is the same guy who sent his team out in that blue and yellow mess against Detroit years ago for the game that Westbrook went nuts in. What color were their helmets in that game?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

gotta have the helmets
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I believe they were throwback which I think is different than the alternate uniform thing the Kelly Greens would be.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I believe they were throwback which I think is different than the alternate uniform thing the Kelly Greens would be.
          You mean those kelly green uniforms aren't throwbacks yet? It's been 20 years hasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I appreciate what he's trying to do but really don't understand his sudden desire for fashion. This is the same guy who sent his team out in that blue and yellow mess against Detroit years ago for the game that Westbrook went nuts in. What color were their helmets in that game?
            Oh grasshopper....... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $!

Comment

I'm no expert 60 but I think the throwback uniform, which I thought was the team's original uni, and the team's designated alternate, which they get to wear once or twice a year, are two separate things.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I wouldn't mind the Kelly Green uniforms for a game. But, I was never a big fan of the Kelly Green and like the dark teal green so much better. I may be in the minority on this. Plus, I associate the Kelly Green with a lot of losing seasons.

But, the Kelly Green would certainly look better than those horrid Frankford Yellow Jackets jerseys they wore years back. I hated that game.

Comment

I want Jeffery to continue making money and happily stay in Philly. Those Kelly green unis will give him a chance to make a boatload more cash. I personally am a huge fan of black on black. Those make the team look tough.

Comment

Not a fan of the Kelly Green. They would be fine for throw back, just not every week.
                    Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      I'm no expert 60 but I think the throwback uniform, which I thought was the team's original uni, and the team's designated alternate, which they get to wear once or twice a year, are two separate things.
                      I'm sure that you're right ND. They've got so many stupid friekin rules that who the hell can keep track of them? No big deal because fans are going to leave in droves with this new rule outlawing contact with helmets anyway. Everybody is a QB now both on offense and defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X