Special team improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special team improvements

It apparent that the eagles have tried to improve in most areas that were problems last year but I haven't heard any concerns about Akers, I beleive he cost us at least one game last year or heavily contributed to losing one or more games. Anyone else think it has been strangely quiet about this? I watched segrest's PC the other day and it wasn't even discussed, nothing from spads on his little mini camp review either. Are we ok with akers now? Did I miss something or is this just not a concern anymore. I like aker's he's a good guy with alot of heart for a kicker but I'm a little uneasy about just assuming last year was a fluke.

Re: Special team improvements

I dunno, and of course it's just Spads but I've heard him say that Akers is in the best shape he's ever seen...how much does that matter for a kicker? Hopefully David is back and refocused and ready to KICK some ass.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Well what exactly do you do about it? Draft a kicker? Waste of a draft pick if you're not ready to cut bait with Akers. (Actually kickers are pretty much a waste of a draft pick anytime.) Bring a guy in to camp? They always do. Akers hasn't been his former elite self the last couple years but he's still good enough that I'd hate to roll the dice with an unproven guy.

The fact is, 95% of kickers vary wildly from year to year. For several years Akers and Vinatieri were the only guys who were consistently among the best, year in and year out. The rest of the time you have guys like Neil Rackers who are lights out one year and fall back to earth the next. Chasing after one or two year wonders is a fool's game. Look at Vanderjagt or even Vinatieri in a Colts uniform.

Comment

I see this team's special team as being an asset as opposed to a liability this year.

1. Sav will be alot better with a full year behind him.
        2. Jackson's going to light it up.
        3. Boiman is a legit ST's solidifier.
        4. Akers will playing with a chip on his shoulder after last year's debacle.

If our field position alone swings to our benefit, we'll win 2 or 3 more games this year.

Comment

Just throwin stuff out there, but we all thought Akers had a mental problem with anybody not named Detmer -- so what happens last year he gets Roc and a fairly new long snapper and possible as the announcers say -- Kickers are a strange mental breed.

I still worry more about the KO's I think then I do about FG's. The other solution of course -- now this is very glass half full-- now with the new and improved st's-- we get much better field position and therefore shorter average fg's.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan
            I see this team's special team as being an asset as opposed to a liability this year.

1. Sav will be alot better with a full year behind him.
            2. Jackson's going to light it up.
            3. Boiman is a legit ST's solidifier.
            4. Akers will playing with a chip on his shoulder after last year's debacle.

If our field position alone swings to our benefit, we'll win 2 or 3 more games this year.
            I agree with all but number 4 but I hope you're right. I think they have brought speed and hunger to the return and coverage units, & I'm anxious to see sav in his 2nd year, I think he'll be in the top 10 for sure and maybe better.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
              I dunno, and of course it's just Spads but I've heard him say that Akers is in the best shape he's ever seen...how much does that matter for a kicker? Hopefully David is back and refocused and ready to KICK some ass.
              * Spadaro thinks the waterboy is going to score 41 TD's this time of year. Akers has been terrible for a few years now. He's a mental headcase but he's also Reid's boy. He aint going anywhere until Reid leaves.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                Originally posted by FRESH
                * Spadaro thinks the waterboy is going to score 41 TD's this time of year. Akers has been terrible for a few years now. He's a mental headcase but he's also Reid's boy. He aint going anywhere until Reid leaves.
                Akers is a "mental headcase"? How so? I've actually gotten the impression that since Akers is so mellow and focused (due to his martail arts training?), it's what made him better than the rest.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about the Koy vs. no-Koy thing. I really think that was a bit overblown. My impression was that Akers' struggles are more because it was just a matter of time that he came back to earth. Age, the leg injury from a couple years ago, and just the impossibility of being the best in the game forever. I think when he started to struggle, everyone - including Akers - was trying to find a cure for it, and so they jumped to "Well, let's get Koy back and see if that makes a difference" angle. That may have made Akers seem like a mental patient, but hey, when you have been so good for so long, and all of a sudden you're struggling, and the only thing that has changed is your holder, wouldn't you want your holder back? Fact is, though, the holder wasn't the only thing that changed - Akers is getting older too. He couldn't remain superhuman forever.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
                  ...and just the impossibility of being the best in the game forever.
                  What do you mean "impossible"? Everyone knows Brett was the best in the game -- and that's forever!! Now where'd I put that Turkey leg...."

Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I am concerned about Akers in two aspects. One his kickoffs always seem to be short. The returners seem to be at the 10 yard line instead of near the goal line. Secondly his FG's from beyond 40 yards were not very good. One other thing. For some reason he cannot kick in Giant stadium. That is a problem.
                    I miss Philly!

Comment

Working...
                    X